X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Development

Hey people at Zygor,

Let's start at the start.
    I'm a developer (senior dev & teamlead) as profession and have been working with different languages and workflow philosophies for quite some time (~15 years).
    Working on (mostly) NodeJS infrastructures with Angular frontends on an Agile Scrum workflow and a (private) git-flow repository system, continues integration and DTAP.
    Because I work with these kind of systems/flows/ideas on a daily basis and see the merits of those structures named above, it got my wondering how you guys approach problems from a developers perspective.

Do you work in sprints with epics, stories, task, storypoints and the whole bunch? Or do you work more like a general issue board and pick up whichever happens to have the most (internal) votes.

I'd love to hear from you guys on this as you also have a potentially short release cycle, which can make things tricky at times.

Greetings from a fellow dev.
    /wave
    Last edited by xonefobic; July 26, 2016, 05:15 PM. Reason: Readability

Hey, I'm the main project manager here at Zygor. We've kind of developed our own personalized workflow over the years. Generally with any new project there are brainstorming sessions, conceptualization, mockups, prototypes, builds, and testing, testing, testing. Maintenance is handed with your general issue board. We use Jira for that. We're always trying to improve things though, and adopt more standard practices, but often old habits die hard, especially with such short release cycles like you said.
    Zygor Guides Creative Director

Comment

Yea, I know what you mean with "old habits die hard", I got a couple of my teammembers who really have issues with the 'stay in task' and 'two-week sprints'-mindsets.
      It takes time, but eventually it does bring some sort of zen mindset with it.
      I'm guessing it can't apply to every aspect of Zygor's development, if you want it or not. Mostly because of entitled clients :P

Thanks for the reply and don't hesitate if you want to pick my brain on how I/we implemented some workflows here, happy to provide some examples when applicable.

Edit: I skimmed over the testing, and I know nothing of testing within a LUA infrastructure, but as you imply yourself. It can't be stressed enough. Test, test, test and when all is green, test again. Good to see you apply these concepts to the workflow as well. Most people don't see 'the point', but try to refactor bits of your code, you'll know :P
      Last edited by xonefobic; August 1, 2016, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Testing is very important in anything. You know when Im doing my video editing or anything similar (including Photoshopping) and computer stuff, I am constantly rewatching, critiquing literally everything. A few times I might have noticed something maybe the 5th time of rewatching, and once I even noticed my Audio track to a video I made..was reversed, it was reallly weird, so I imagine with anything of a design or coding aspect....Its the same concept...Testing is very important
        I make videos on youtube! Check em out, gaming videos mostly, and got my video testimonials for zygor stuff there!
        [URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/Onyxangel24"]http://www.youtube.com/user/Onyxangel24[/URL]

Comment

You're completely right, a big pro in coding compared to most of the video/audio/picture editing; In coding you can automate a lot of this testing, which can save huge amounts of time.

Comment

My instructors could not stress how important testing was....I figured as much.
            I make videos on youtube! Check em out, gaming videos mostly, and got my video testimonials for zygor stuff there!
            [URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/Onyxangel24"]http://www.youtube.com/user/Onyxangel24[/URL]

Comment

Working...
            X