Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ESO vs WOW / Comparison Features / Some Needed on ESO

Hey,

Question, will the ESO guide ever operate like WOW guide, or does the back end code of ESO not allow it? (i.e. wow has LUA, etc, don't know what/how ESO operates)

my WOW guides are far more advanced and I was wondering if you are working to have the ESO guides the same/similar?

Will the ESO guides ever switch equipment for me, like my WOW does? Will the ESO ever get past the 'Manually skip to the next step'.

Basically I think what I'm asking is, is the ESO guide actively being worked on, I'd like to think that now ESO is gaining traction that Zygor will follow suite, I'd hate to think it was only a money decision to gain a little more income? the wow guide has been updated more than ESO (I don't think ESO has been updated) since I jumped onto the Elite membership to get both of them.

Please give me some positive news

Both of the games are using the LUA scripting for the addons but it's the Addon API for each game that controls what can be done. The API for ESO is very limited in what an addon is able to do in game when you compare it to WoW's API. The ESO API is still in it's infancy when you compare it to WoW's API. There are so many more things an addon is able to do in WoW. ESO has made some improvements to their API but it still pales in comparison to WoW's. When ESO first came out there was no way to track quests at all in their API. We had to manually build a database of quests and specific chat window text messages to watch for to know when you did part of a quest. And every time ESO changed one word it would break that quest in the guides. Now they have a way for addons to try to track quest progress in the API but they still do not have any way to track quest history like WoW does so we don't know what quests you did 2 months ago (for example).

In short, anything we do for ESO will always be different from what we do with WoW because it's 2 different games with 2 completely different APIs.

As for your main question, right now all of our focus is on getting the WoW Legion guides finished, released, and fixed as needed. Once that is done we will then look at what might be able to be done with the ESO guides or maybe even guides for a different game. That kind of decision on what to do next probably won't be until next year at this point.

Right now the ESO updates are just some bug fixes as they are reported.
    Last edited by Zygor Support; September 17, 2016, 08:20 PM.
    Become a Fan of Zygor Guides on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zygor-...04933799556988

Follow Zygor Guides on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/zygorguides

Comment

Originally posted by Zygor Support View Post
      The API for ESO is very limited in what an addon is able to do in game when you compare it to WoW's API.
      Figured it was something like that.

In short, anything we do for ESO will always be different from what we do with WoW because it's 2 different games with 2 completely different APIs.
      Totally get that, as it's two different games, but both game have similar features, as they are MMORPG's and you can't change that about the genre, I was hoping that ESO/Zygor would have a lot of similar features (eventually) to WOW/Zygor, like auto switching better gear, auto picking Wayshrines (like WOW does the flightpaths), things like that.

As for your main question, right now all of our focus is on getting the WoW Legion guides finished, released, and fixed as needed. Once that is done we will then look at what might be able to be done with the ESO guides or maybe even guides for a different game. That kind of decision on what to do next probably won't be until next year at this point.

Total understand, but still it's nice to have an insight as to what IS actually happening.

Appreciate you coming back to me and answering my lengthy post.

Comment

Originally posted by peejaygee View Post
        Totally get that, as it's two different games, but both game have similar features, as they are MMORPG's and you can't change that about the genre, I was hoping that ESO/Zygor would have a lot of similar features (eventually) to WOW/Zygor, like auto switching better gear, auto picking Wayshrines (like WOW does the flightpaths), things like that.
        Those are the kinds of things that are determined by what the API allows to be done. The API has to allow an addon to interact with gear and allow the addon to equip gear. The API has to allow an addon to select a wayshrine on the map and then click on the accept for you. Yes they are both MMOs and have similar features in the game, but it's the API that determines what kind of interaction an addon can have in the game.
        Become a Fan of Zygor Guides on Facebook:
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zygor-...04933799556988

Follow Zygor Guides on Twitter:
        http://twitter.com/zygorguides

Comment

but it's the API that determines what kind of interaction an addon can have in the game.
          Ahhhhhh, ok... so we'll have to wait until ESO starts expanding their API.

Thanks for the feedback and keep up the good work, for someone who is rubbish with maps in real-life, having a 'waypoint' arrow on both of my games makes it far more enjoyable for me.

Comment

Both of the games are using the LUA scripting for the addons but it's the Addon API for each game that controls what can be done. The API for ESO is very limited in what an addon is able to do in game when you compare it to WoW's API. The ESO API is still in it's infancy when you compare it to WoW's API. There are so many more things an addon is able to do in WoW. ESO has made some improvements to their API but it still pales in comparison to WoW's. When ESO first came out there was no way to track quests at all in their API. We had to manually build a database of quests and specific chat window text messages to watch for to know when you did part of a quest. And every time ESO changed one word it would break that quest in the guides. Now they have a way for addons to try to track quest progress in the API but they still do not have any way to track quest history like WoW does so we don't know what quests you did 2 months ago (for example).

I'm sorry, but as a gamer and a vivid developer, I have been not only a fan and a customer to Zygor Guides, Ive even helped spread the news about it for a long time now. I have to disagree with you on this. You are right when it comes to the LUA file updates, but lets not fool anyone, anymore! You guys work around the clock only on WoW and only on WoW. Theres no reason why there cant be anything other than some side quests that people already do just by default in ESO. I am a ESO fan and WoW, Ive played WoW for a long time also and used Zygor for years with it. Ive seen how rapid your developments have come and how quickly you guys roll out updates which is honestly pretty fair and fast and you also deliver what the gamers want. That's a good thing, you listen to the community.

But you shouldn't ignore the lesser community on a game title such as ESO. ESO is actually popular just like wow, wow just has more subs then any other mmorpg. WE ESOers would love alittle more than just some side quests. Did I mention I loved your guides? On WoW yes, because it has everything you could ever wanted and honesly it wasn't boring.

On ESO, there are more things like, crafting mats, gearing, DG, LORE and so on. I see you added on a couple of Lore books and Shards just to make it seem as its a complete thing. I don't know whos in charge of ESO development for Zygor, but its clear they are not working fast enough and above all, your guide for ESO? Really isn't all that, not when you have to "manually skip to the next" after completing every detail your guide for ESO sais do. "Go left to the gas station", Ok, I'm here, now wat? "manually skip to the next...". Really boo boo? Come on now man, Ill resub when theres more than just side quests broskies. I do appreciate your efforts and time for at least adding ESO on to your plate, but it would be nice that you kept up with it. And, honestly? The LUA's and API's aren't nearly as hard as the WOW, if IT at all.

Comment

Not good enough, to say that ESO will have to wait until WOW is done, that's a worn out old excuse. and when next year comes it will be another 'oh WOW just had another expansion, we need to update that before we think of ESO', its a continual co-out.

Comment

And here I am again with the same comments as always, the game mechanics excuse has worn very thin over the years, the fact is we ESO players are very much second to WOW players when it comes to updates etc no matter what the mechanics, why are we always being asked to wait until the WOW updates are done (as an ongoing thing ,they never are cos the guides updates are never caught up with the WOW updates), Why cant we for once hear 'yes the WOW updates will have to wait until the ESO updates are done'?
                We pay the same money as the WOW players, in the beginning the excuse was 'we are not updating (or even abandoning ) ESO because it is not a popular game', well now it is but we are still getting the same old lame excuses, why do you treat us as cash cows with little or no updating?
                There is absolutely no reason for not working on crafting or dailies or any of a myriad of ESO related stuff, as far as I can see only two of the three leveling guides have been completed (not that i need them anymore, my game play has far outstripped them) but as an example of tardiness and ineptitude this is classic.
                Please don't treat us as immature idiots, most of us now are mature players so please treat us with respect and churn out some meaningful updates for ESO.

Comment

Working...
                X