Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Symantec detecting virus in updater

Hi Guys,

I have used the guides for a long time now, and they are excellent. I had been using Eset AV on my machine but have now switched to Symantec. On doing a scan it is detecting a virus "Suspious.Cloud.2" in the Zygor_guides_updater.exe. I tried redownloading the file but good ole Symantec keeps giving me a protection message.

I trust Zygors but any thoughts on why this is happening ? Also tried on another computer as well.

Thanks

Moving to Tech Support and will let one of the dev team respond to this one.
    "The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas."

Comment

According to virustotal.com Symantec is the only scanner reporting malware.

False positives can be reported to Symantec here:
      https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/
      But they want some personal information. I recommend to just exclude the file from scanning, this is what I do when my Antivir suddenly finds a pretty new virus in a file that's more than 5 years old...

Comment

I just use Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, does the job and so far, no false positives. I do an insane amount of downloading an have yet to run into any issues.

Comment

We are writing in relation to your submission through Symantec's on-line Security Risk / False Positive Dispute Submission form for your software being detected by Symantec Software. In light of further investigation and analysis Symantec is happy to remove this detection from within its products.

The updated detection will be distributed in the next set of virus definitions, available daily, or weekly via LiveUpdate, depending on Symantec product version, or daily from our website at

http://securityresponse.symantec.com....download.html.
          So I had the same problem. Symantec kept removing my zygor updater, so I submitted the proper info using the link provided and received this response via email a day later. Hurray! :P

Comment

Originally posted by evenstarlet View Post
            I have used the guides for a long time now, and they are excellent. I had been using Eset AV on my machine but have now switched to Symantec. On doing a scan it is detecting a virus "Suspious.Cloud.2" in the Zygor_guides_updater.exe. I tried redownloading the file but good ole Symantec keeps giving me a protection message.
            I use both Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes Anti Malware and none of them reports anything. Judging by the name of the category "Suspious.Cloud.2" it sound like its not a positive identification but only that Zygor's Updater has suspicious activity (download and net communication)

Comment

No other major antivirus software reported something.
              Those false positives happen more often with increasing amount of malware and the need to automatically judge the behavior of programs by the scanner.
              But it's good to see that Symantec reacted after the false positive was reported.

Comment

Working...
              X