Possible Conflict within WOW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible Conflict within WOW

I am operating with Win 7 Pro & Dual ATI Radeon 5750 video cards in Xfire, CPU Intel Core i7 950 , 6 gb mem.
    after updating Zygor today my monitor either goes to black screen or a monochrome color screen after a few minutes running in WOW.

This has occured 4 times today between 5- 30 min after starting in WOW. I can only restart after i power down my PC. I have removed Zygor from my WOW folders and deleted Zygors entries from the Saved variables files.

REBeyer

I dont want to nit-pick, but did deleting the Zygor folders resolve your problem? If so, there is an addon conflict somewhere.
    "The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas."

Comment

Sounds like one or both of your vid cards are over-heating. When was the last time you blew out the dust from the fans and heat sinks on them? Also, how old are they? The other possibility is that the device drivers are having an issue and you might want to un-install them and re-install.

Only a vid card failure or device driver issue would cause the symptoms you're reporting, it's just pure coincident that it happened now when you did a Zygor update. The Update and guides do not control the hardware and/or device drivers so there's no way that the Zygor update is the reason.
      My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

If you remove the Zygor guide completely and the problem still persists it can't be related to the guide.

If you recently updated your video card drivers try uninstalling them and installing an older version. Especially with Crossfire or SLI there are many things that can go wrong.
        As Cabby stated overheating may be one, also the power supply may be insufficient or broken. Try removing one video card or disabling Crossfire (don't know how to do this) and see what happens without it.

Comment

THanks for the advice. Further info.
          The PC is a Powerspec G209 from Microcenter. These symptoms have occured since i purchased the PC. Microocenter Tech support has added an additional fan and has opened up the periferal slots around the vid cards to get better air flow. This has reduced the instances of these symtoms. The Guide update yesterday drastically increased the occurance which why I posted the concern.

Comment

Originally posted by rebeyer View Post
            THanks for the advice. Further info.
            The PC is a Powerspec G209 from Microcenter. These symptoms have occured since i purchased the PC. Microocenter Tech support has added an additional fan and has opened up the periferal slots around the vid cards to get better air flow. This has reduced the instances of these symtoms. The Guide update yesterday drastically increased the occurance which why I posted the concern.
            Oh, the PC was purchased in December 2010.

Comment

If their tech tried to improve the airflow then this is most likely the video cards overheating. Also the fact that the added fan and opened slots reducing the occurrences is proof that your cards have been overheating and causing your issues. The guide update should not have put more strain onto the gpu's since the guide windows haven't been redesigned and still display the same. I know that recently AMD released some new graphics drivers for the ATI cards so there's a possibility that if you just recently updated those also that the new drivers are doing something different with rendering that might be causing more heating issues with the gpu's. The other thought is that since you've been having these symptoms since you've purchased the system, this means that your cards have been being strained constantly by the overheating and they just might be finally dieing due to too much heat.

A possible solution (even tho it's not really pretty) that could help on the short term would be to take the side of the case off and setup a small 6" desk fan blowing directly onto the video cards.

Personally, if you've been having these kinds of issues since you purchased it from them, I would take it back to them and tell them to replace the video cards or the system. There's no reason why a new system purchase from any reputable company should be giving those kinds of issues. You paid for a working system and it sounds like it hasn't been working properly for you since you bought it.

I run a very similar setup to what you have but I built my own system. I have an AMD Phenom II x6 1090T cpu with 2x HD5770 1gb cards running in X-Fire. I don't attempt to over-clock my system at all as it runs my games at a level I'm happy with. I have yet to have any problems with over-heating on my video cards, just my monitor is now trying to die on me.
              My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Working...
              X