I'm missing the download release date and build version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm missing the download release date and build version

I regularly pop onto the members download page and use the manual downloads option. I used to be able to check to see the current release date and build revision. When there was a new build I could also see brief change notes.

With the new look page I'm missing those little bits of info and I only know that there is a newer version by clicking on the download link and checking the file name against the one I already have downloaded.

Am I on my own here? Is there something I've missed on the downloads page that has all this information and I'm just kinda blind?

Would be great to see the revision and date released for the download, better still would be some brief change notes for the download.

If it's not due to a technical issue and is simply adopting a new look and feel could I suggest a poll to see if people want it? I'd hush up if I knew I'm simply the minority on this.

Most likely the Zygor team will be adding those things back to the page. But currently they're busy with the guides.
    I also only use the zip file for the guides and now I just run the updater to see if a new version is out.

Comment

I'm in the same boat as "boyfrary". I like to see what the latest version is BEFORE I have to click on download and then look in my system's "downloads" subdirectory to see if it's newer, or not.

Today is almost a year after he posted his topic and as of today, 8/29/2012
      the latest download is named: "Download Now~ 3 MB, for Windows/MacOS X"

That does not convey meaningful version info. Heh heh. I wish it did.

Comment

Don't you get the file name in the browser's download dialogue? Still not optimal but at least two mouseclicks less

I normally just run the updater to look for a new version but I have it in manual mode so it does not download or start WoW as I rather download the zip file too.

Comment

Cartman, I don't want to dwell on this issue, but the fact remains that the current lack of a decent naming convention could be remedied easily.

Why name a file "Download Now~ 3 MB, for Windows/MacOS X" when it could/should be named something more relative, like: "ZygorGuides-3.3.4822.zip" ---- with a release DATE associated with it on the download page?

A few words of text is cheap and takes very little effort. It helps customers. It's simple. And, updates don't really come that often anyway. But, many of us do check often for updates!!

As "boyfrary", the original poster of this topic said, "Would be great to see the revision and date released for the download, better still would be some brief change notes for the download."

I just happen to agree with him. No big deal, but it is a good suggestion.

Comment

The download is dynamically, they just change the files and the download page runs a script to collect the version number from the version file and creates the filename. This way they don't need to mess around with the site when uploading a new version.

However it should still be possible to show the file name on the download page, they just need to run the same script that creates the filename for the zip on the download page. Maybe Zgdev reads this

Comment

Okay. Thanks.

You wrote: "Maybe Zgdev reads this" ---- Hmmm? Especially since he posted the orig topic a year ago! Ha ha.

Comment

Working...
              X