Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems...

Ok well, been a user since like...07?

First, the updater has never worked for me, using a 64 bit system (XP, Vista, and then 7). On all three OSs, the updater never worked right (if at all), and I always ended up doing a manual uninstall/reinstall to get everything updated.

I use bitdefender and have (on numerous situations) turned it off/uninstalled it, to try and get the updater working, which it (as stated) has yet to work.

Windows firewall/Defender is off, as I do not like them, same with the UA thing that tracks changes made to the system (I hate that thing with a passion).

Even on a completely open and unsecured network, without any anti-virus what-so-ever, I still cannot get the updater to work (using multiple connections, from multiple states with-in the U.S.).

Any suggestions as to what the problem is, or am I just missing something entirely? :P
    ~Ozzy
    ~"lol, my alt just beat your main!"

Here's what to check if the updater does not install new guides:
    - username and password in the updater settings (username and password must not contain special characters, only letters and numbers, no foreign special characters like é or ä)
    - WoW addons folder in the updater settings (it may be in a different location depending on your WoW installation folder and Windows version)
    - use the repair button of the updater before installing the guides
    - run the updater as administrator (rightclick the icon to do this)
    - if you have some antivirus program running disable it (Bitdefender is known to block the updater, rightclick the tray icon for options)
    - download the manual installation zip file from the members section and extract it to your WoW\Interface\Addons folder

Comment

Yes thank you, I read all the troubleshooting stuff multiple times (over the past few years...) and it still doesn't seem to have any effect.

As I stated before, the only way I can get stuff to work, is to bypass the updater altogether, and download/install the data manually (which albiet isn't all that troublesome, just time consuming/irritating)

The only reason I bring this to light...is because I have repeatedly failed to correct this problem on my end of things, under multiple circumstances, several times. To which lead me to believe its either a hardware/software malfunction of which I have no control over (i.e. a bug ect).

Keep up the good work guys.
      ~Ozzy

Comment

Hmm... Can you give some more details on exactly what it does, what you see, maybe some screen shots, etc.?

Edit: also going to move this down into the account/installation bugs section with an expiring re-direct here.
        My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Lets see, well, the main issue before I think, was that it wasn't connecting (like a year ago)
          ATM, it just continuously downloads (from what I can make out) updates, in retrospect, almost intirely locking up at this point, and when I turn off auto update...I'm missing...well the updates :P, my guess was a connection issue, so I did everything within reason to allow the updater to do what it wants (removed anti-virus/allowed through firewall ect) to no avail, I would post screen-shots but I don't really feel like it tbh, just imagine the updater continously updating the same thing over and over without changing and you'll have the exact picture I see
          ~Ozzy

(not posting ASAP due to work ect)

Comment

Ok, Cartman hit on a thing about special (read non-US keyboard) characters in the username and password. Someone else was having a problem and when they changed their name to use US keyboard characters it solved it for them. Do you by chance have any in your name? I'm referring to first and last name that can be changed in the profile section of the members area.
            My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

The only thing that comes to my mind based on times I've seen the behaviour with other "updater" type apps is directory (folder) or file permissions being borked. However, running the Updater as Admin and hitting a Repair should (in theory) fix directory permissions, and extracting the manual package should at least give an info line if it encountered something that was write-protected when trying to overwrite the old files. Having the same issue across 3 iterations of Doze kinda rules that out as well.

At this point, I'd say grab a Linux LiveCD and a copy of Wine/WineX, temp mount the WoW install, and see if it processes right on that platform.

Probably not much help at this point, but just throwing it out there.

Comment

Working...
              X