No announcement yet.

Forum's auto-marking "as read" (after reading a post) doesn't work as expected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum's auto-marking "as read" (after reading a post) doesn't work as expected

On most forums, when unread posts are available (signified by bold text) and a user goes to that post and reads it, it then stops being bold lettering as a result of it having been read. But, it's not working that way on this forum.

For instance, there are several posts in this topic (link below) which I have read repeatedly (even waiting up to 30 seconds on each post), but they still maintain the bold lettering which indicates they have not yet been read.

Note 1: They are topics which either I have created or posted in, so maybe the issue in related to that? Other users posts (which were bold before I read them) turn grey (as the should) after I read them.

Note 2: I am aware that I can "Mark this forum as read," but that's not related to the issue I'm reporting.

link to that page:
    http://www.zygorguides.com/forum/for...s-and-Kalimdor

I'm just pointing out this issue I've noticed, and am wondering why it's happening.

I would imagine that it's as you guess and related to the topics being started/posted in by you. Probably a way to help you find them faster.

What I use is the New Posts link at the top left (just under the large Forum word in the greenish bar) to see all new posts since I last looked at them all.
    My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

cabby, it's not that I can't find the posts, the issue is that after I read them, they do not "grey-out" indicating that they have been read.

Comment

Has someone changed the fonts being used in the forum's topics lists? Marking individual forums "as read" makes no difference in the appearance of the fonts. They remain 'bold' compared to some of the other topics' fonts which are not bold. Something has changed, because it isn't working the way it used to work. I'm just wondering why.

Comment

As far as I know nothing has been changed recently for this.

Comment

Are you saying that you do NOT see topics in darker or bold char's after you've read the posts and/or marked the forum "as read?"
            Just for minute, forget about topics or posts you have made yourself. Do other people's posts turn lighter, or do they remain darker, like what I'm seeing?

Comment

When I look at the forums I see all of the main forum sections with a slightly darker green. When I go into one of them I see all of the posts as a slightly lighter green (kinda half way between your forum name color and mine). This is after reading everything. I almost never actually go thru the forums like that looking for new posts so it's not something I would normally see. I only ever use the new posts link as that lets me stay on top of all posts in all forums.

Comment

Originally posted by cabby View Post
                ...... I almost never actually go thru the forums like that looking for new posts so it's not something I would normally see. I only ever use the new posts link as that lets me stay on top of all posts in all forums.
                I understand that you use the forum the way that works most efficiently for you, as an Administrator. You have to keep on top of things quickly -- and, you do! However, I imagine that most people do not need to read -every- new post, but are more interested in finding and reading either their own posted topics or else other topics which they are interested in specifically. I fall into the this category, and that's my issue; the forum isn't working well to do that. I've posted a graphic example as to what I see. Hopefully, whoever manages the forum itself can add the required option. Most other forums have such an option which makes those forums far easier for users to follow topics.

As I noted on the image, the Forum Tools is missing an option for users to "Mark all topics as read", instead of just "Mark all forums as read". However, either one should mark all the topics as read! Most forums have the the first one I mentioned in addition to the second one.

Without 'marking topics as read,' it makes it very difficult for users to see what they've read already, or haven't yet read.

zygor_forum_posts.jpg

Comment

There's a possibility this might be a browser based thing you're seeing. Have you tried other browsers to see if stuff is still bold in them as well?

Comment

Nope. I use only one browser IE 9 (it's up-to-date). Don't want to use other browsers as this is a common one and works everywhere else.

Comment

I just checked with IE and I do not see the bold like you do so I'm guessing it's something specific to your computer causing this appearance. I personally tend to avoid IE because it's installed on every Windows computer and is a target for hackers and viruses.

Comment

Cabby, if it is my computer and/or IE, then why does this issue happen only on Zygor forums? I have many other forums which I'm subscribed to, yet each of them works as expected. Is it possible for someone at Zygor to add the option to "Mark all topics as read"? Most other forums have that option, even though those forums still grey-out the posts I've read individually. I'm only trying to narrow down and hopefully find out why it doesn't work on Zygor forums.

Comment

There is an option to mark all forums/topics read. The one you already know about at the bottom of the main forum page will mark all topics as read when it marks all forums read.

It's possible that one of your browser settings is keeping it from showing correctly. In the tools for IE you should see one for Internet Options. When you open the Internet Options on the General tab there should be a browsing history section. Click the settings button there and what do you see marked for the Temporary Internet Files?

Comment

I have looked at that Internet Options/Temporary files settings in my IE. I do not use it because MS is so lame that it wipes out all my cookies in addition to everything else! So, I use the Windows "Disk Cleanup" tool which allows me to delete just the temporary files themselves. Besides that, my settings delete temporay files automatically each time I close my browser, so that's not the problem nor the solution. Darn.

I noticed also that this same issue happens on wowinterface.com (specifically in the Carbonite forum section), but none of my other forums anywhere else.

I did what you said about clicking the option at the bottom of the main Forum's page to "Mark all forums read," but it doesn't work either.

Here's an example of a page right after doing that, etc.

Still_bold_after_marking_as-readNew-1.jpg

Comment

I know this isn't exactly what you want to hear, but try deleting your cookies. The cookies store information such as what posts you've read. It's possible that the cookies for here and that one WoWInterface forum have been corrupted.

Comment

Working...
                              X