This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blizzard updated the addon rules!

Now that Blizzard is going to stop all add-ons that have to be paid for, are you still going to be updating this product? I have both horde and alliance versions and love them. If you are starting a write in, let me know. I will help.

Mav

We are working on an alternative solution. We are doing all that we can to give you guys the absolute best guides possible, while still keeping ourselves (and yourselves) legal. The new addon guidelines are still only guidelines, and not written into Blizzard's Terms of Service or End User License Agreement. We are preparing for if/when that day comes and we are forced to take down our in-game guides.

We will continue to update our guides, but they will probably not be in the same format as they are now. It's going to be a bummer if we can no longer supply you with our in-game guides as you know them to be, but we must keep everything legal.

Hopefully you all understand this and realize that we would not discontinue our in-game guides unless it were absolutely necessary that we did so.

What are everyone's thoughts on this issue?
    Become a Fan of Zygor Guides on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/zygorguides

Follow Zygor Guides on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/zygorguides

Comment

If Blizzard is smart, they're going to create an affliate program that will allow people who put a certain amount of work into creating add-ons available for purchase through them, sort of like Steam. I think that's the only way Blizzard, the add-on developers, and the consumers will be happy.

I don't see why they can't do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Zygor View Post
        We are working on an alternative solution. We are doing all that we can to give you guys the absolute best guides possible, while still keeping ourselves (and yourselves) legal. The new addon guidelines are still only guidelines, and not written into Blizzard's Terms of Service or End User License Agreement. We are preparing for if/when that day comes and we are forced to take down our in-game guides.

We will continue to update our guides, but they will probably not be in the same format as they are now. It's going to be a bummer if we can no longer supply you with our in-game guides as you know them to be, but we must keep everything legal.

Hopefully you all understand this and realize that we would not discontinue our in-game guides unless it were absolutely necessary that we did so.

What are everyone's thoughts on this issue?
        if they do enforce the fact that we wont be able to use addons that were simply free with a guide then i suppose it'll have to be done in a pdf much more time consuming and will take longer to level up as well as the fact that you guys will have to do more work around it.

If Blizzard is smart, they're going to create an affliate program that will allow people who put a certain amount of work into creating add-ons available for purchase through them, sort of like Steam. I think that's the only way Blizzard, the add-on developers, and the consumers will be happy.

I don't see why they can't do this.
        this in my opinion is just another way for them to get the consumers part with theyre hard earned money, if they ever did decide to go this route i would quit wow, ive done it before ill do it again.

at any rate if you did release a pdf version the addon would simply be a gift for buying the guide would it not? plus the facty is zygor guides are similar to all the quest-helper addons and if they disabled those addons from being used less and less people would play so its a stupid move on theyre part.
        Sunstrider - EU - PVP

==Bellemeré - 85 Shadow/Disc Troll Priest==
        ==Bankaiakyra - 80 Ele/Resto Orc shaman==
        ==Sásha - 74 Blood/Unholy Belf Death Knight==
        ==Termoonated - 85 Resto/Feral (tank druid)==
        ==Cápslock- 62 Demo/Afflic Belf Lock==
        ==Blessu - 85 Prot/Ret Belf Paladin==
        ==Mallchir - 70 Prot/arms Belf Warr==
        ==Grimro - 45 Sub/Ass Belf Rogue==
        ==Menchi - 30 MM/BM Goblin Hunter==
        ==Kuzanaokiji- 85 Arcane/Frost Belf Mage==

Insanity is only the beginning of life.

Comment

Hmm well i dont think there are any need to be worried yet at all. The new rules was implented cos of what seem to be the stunt Carbonite pulled.

TBH what is the difference between Zygor ingame guide and a pdf document? That obviously is allowed?

And even tho Blizzard say that they are working against goldsellers and such. Dont want other than Blizzard make money on their product. I really dont think they are. It keep people playing. And the monthly fee is their moneymaker.

And as i understand it most of the hardcore raiding guild buy gold cos they dont have the time to farm. And if they cant afford to buy enchants, buff pots, gems etc etc they prolly stop playing.

And today with the none activity for your toon below 80 (Been in shatt lately?), i think leveling guides is a must for Blizzard to. No one want to play all alone in a ghostland longer than necesary. They did implement the RAF thingy, dunno why really. Wich is a real piece of crap in my opinion

Just my thoughts about it.
          -Jerro-
          For glory, for honour, for victory! For the Alliance!

Comment

Hmm well i dont think there are any need to be worried yet at all. The new rules was implented cos of what seem to be the stunt Carbonite pulled.
            what stunt did carbonite pull? i never noticed anything weird with carbonite and guide makers arent gold sellers so yeah they should be cracking down on people with in game addons that help leveling

They did implement the RAF thingy, dunno why really. Wich is a real piece of crap in my opinion
            ya also kinda lost me there ^^"
            Sunstrider - EU - PVP

==Bellemeré - 85 Shadow/Disc Troll Priest==
            ==Bankaiakyra - 80 Ele/Resto Orc shaman==
            ==Sásha - 74 Blood/Unholy Belf Death Knight==
            ==Termoonated - 85 Resto/Feral (tank druid)==
            ==Cápslock- 62 Demo/Afflic Belf Lock==
            ==Blessu - 85 Prot/Ret Belf Paladin==
            ==Mallchir - 70 Prot/arms Belf Warr==
            ==Grimro - 45 Sub/Ass Belf Rogue==
            ==Menchi - 30 MM/BM Goblin Hunter==
            ==Kuzanaokiji- 85 Arcane/Frost Belf Mage==

Insanity is only the beginning of life.

Comment

I talked to a friend of mine who is a lawyer (though he did say that isnt the type of law he deals with and without knowing the whole story and all information he could only tell me his opinion) and this is what he said: If you were to sell a product (I specifically asked about a .pdf guide since you had one in the past, but it could be anything mailed or downloaded) and then give the ingame guide/addon for free with that purchase, that it could be a gray area, but should be fine. Alot of products on the market are sold mainly for the "free gift" you will receive. Though many of those you have to pay an additional handling fee or such and in this case you would not be able to.

I am sure that creating the .pdf would be a tiring task, but to keep such a wonderful guide going I would be willing to help type up some of it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerro View Post
                They did implement the RAF thingy, dunno why really. Wich is a real piece of crap in my opinion
                Originally posted by Akyra View Post
                ya also kinda lost me there ^^"
                I think Jerro is referring to the Recruit-A-Friend. While leveling together (up to level 60 and as long as you are within 4 levels of each other and only for the 1st 90 days) you both get triple XP, triple quest XP and 10% bonus rep. Also, for each 2 levels that the new friend gains, they get a "grant level" for the person that referred them. This works on any char that is lower level than they are (only up till 60 and can only grant up to 1 level lower) so say the new player worked up to 60, they will have 30 levels they can grant their friend on the same faction.

Comment

Im not saying that guidemakers are goldsellers. just wanted to point out that Blizzard need theese "illegal" services so people continue playing.

With that said i dont think of this guide as any illgeal or a bad thing for the game. the other way around.

Originally posted by Akyra View Post
                  what stunt did carbonite pull?
                  they released an adversion of their addons.

http://www.zygorguides.com/forum/sho...9&postcount=14
                  Last edited by Jerro; March 26, 2009, 09:58 AM.
                  For glory, for honour, for victory! For the Alliance!

Comment

While I agree that the "buy this PDF and the in game guide is free" MAY work .. you overlooking the primary point Blizzard is making.

If the addons have to be free in order to be "Blizzard Legal" then the Zygor in game guide would have to be free.. once an item is marked as free as in no charge..its hard to say something is free then not allow someone to share it.. the "intent" of the rule is to make addons available without any associated cost.

Once this happens there is nothing stopping anyone from posting it to the web or any of the interface websites and that would undermine the business end of Zygor's Guides. I for one and happy to pay for the guide as I find them well worth the money and compared to any of the free ones they are, in my opinion, far superior.

I am hard working adult who fully appreciates the value of the guides and I would hate to see them go away due to this new set of Blizzard Guidelines"

Comment

I'm really waiting to see how far Blizzard pushes this policy. If it makes Zygor's add-on non-functional, then you guys lose a customer and Blizzard loses 2 accounts.

I hope it doesn't come to that.

Comment

Originally posted by nadewow View Post
                        I'm really waiting to see how far Blizzard pushes this policy. If it makes Zygor's add-on non-functional, then you guys lose a customer and Blizzard loses 2 accounts.

I hope it doesn't come to that.
                        If it does, we really have no control over that situation - so yes, hopefully it does not come to that...

Comment

I had not heard about this until I read it here; the free/pay add ons thing.
                          I use a free UI mod and the Zygor guide, which I'm glad I use 'cuz I've leveled much quicker with the guide. I have no regrets about paying for it; I can't believe Blizz would make it illegal/against their EULA or whatever it would be against. Has anyone ever read BOTH license agreements ?? They contradict each other regarding accounts--read them carefully

Keep up the excellent work on the guides no matter what, plz.

Comment

The more I think about it the sillier it seems. I am 43 and yes that's years old not level hehe.

I stopped having to ask permission to spend money a loooong time ago (Ok I am going to have to talk to my wife if I want to buy a big screen TV hehe but this is 50$ I can sneak..er.. I don't have to ask about 50$). If I want to pay for a service to make my game time more enjoyable then I just don't see how Blizzard needs to get their collective shorts in a bunch.

I have 6 toons of various levels across a few servers. My sons play on different servers....don't ask its a long story (short answer is they are brothers hehe)

the cost of this add on guide works out to a less than 10 bucks each..sheesh.. and before anyone says its no different than buying gold (I have no opinion on that one way or the other) lets remember that I buy this guide once and I can use it for all of my characters and I don't need to buy it ever again (unless I get a lobotomy and change to alliance hehehe..just kidding). That's a far cry from the whole gold buying issue the Blizzard has.

Anyhow just my 2 cents worth on the subject.

Comment

Please read this thread and leave your thoughts:
                              http://www.zygorguides.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1726

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X