This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we please rewrite this guide

We all love zygors guides here, in general for what they provide when they are effective.
    And there will always be a loyal playerbase on classic WoW so it is certainly worth the effort putting into this guide. If anything classic is the real version which would benefit from zygors the most as retail pretty much tells you exactly what you want to do anyway, especially with the new leveling system.

I seriously recommend following and rewriting the guide to a similar path like https://classicwow.live or even joanas guide, which are proven efficient methods of speed leveling without any of this meaningless running around, getting told to grind to level 19 only to be redirected to kill level 15 harpies etc. heck, I will even do it myself if I'm paid.

The frustrations other players have with ZGClassic have nothing to do with "That is just how classic WoW was" and everything to do with the way this guide works.

I just want to see this guide work as gloriously as it does on retail some day. I really do think we have a good thing going here and with things like ACTUAL achievements and even bragging rights on classic wow, plus other things which are very hard to obtain it will be a much more valued guide for this version of the game.
    Last edited by fruitfly; September 3, 2019, 02:13 PM.

We are planning to revise the Classic guides. Interestingly enough, the reason the Classic guides are the way they currently are is because we wrote them like our Retail guides, which are geared more towards general questing guides than speed leveling. Based on feedback, the community has been happy with the nice guided experience for Retail. We assumed the same expectations would hold true for Classic and that our more casual oriented community would not like the rougher spots of Classic where you have to grind a lot or face difficult enemies. Therefore, we made considerations for this, traveling to where players could do more quests instead of grinding, and having them do extra leveling in the early areas so they would be able to more easily take on the difficult mobs. However, it seems the player base for WoW Classic is different from WoW Retail, so we will be making adjustments to reflect these different expectations.
    Zygor Guides Creative Director

Comment

Classic is kind of a different ballgame as moving around is MUCH more convenient in retail so hopping over to differnet places really doesn't matter so much and makes things interesting, plus the leveling speed is extremely fast regardless of what you do.
      I appreciate very much that you are still working on the guide and have confidence that in the future it will be vastly improved. Maybe it could even have a "casual" or "speed" option, since the casual version would be what we have now.

Also looking forward to the gold and profession guides, as gold and wealth certainly made you an important person in vanilla wow. And professions were much more valuable and difficult to level.
      Last edited by fruitfly; September 3, 2019, 04:35 PM.

Comment

What's the ETA like on the rewrite?

I feel like I'm falling behind the leveling curve using this guide while others seem to be leveling much faster that aren't using the guide putting in the same amount of playtime.

Comment

To give my opinion. I dont care about the SPEED leveling part. I want a nice enjoyable guide that leads me through a nice path without grinding. Zygor provides that at the moment

That guy that is 60 in a few days grinded AOE mobs layer from layer. If you want to level the fastest, go do that.

its the same how they changed wow. A few vocal people shout on the forums and then stuff gets changed. I hope Zygor remains how it is now and starts adding different guides like it has in retail.

Im playing Alliance by the way. Maybe its the horde side that is not optimal

Comment

Maybe have a POLL to see/ better accurately gage the quality of the guides BEFORE you do a full rewrite. Maybe the complaints are correct, maybe they aren't.

Just a thought.

I am quite happy with both horde and alliance levelling guides, BUT I also have been playing since 2004 and understand how different it is than retail. Also I am looking for a enjoyable experience not Jonna speed levelling.
            Last edited by drcoolj; September 4, 2019, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by drcoolj View Post
              Maybe have a POLL to see/ better accurately gage the quality of the guides BEFORE you do a full rewrite. Maybe the complaints are correct, maybe they aren't.

Just a thought.

I am quite happy with both horde and alliance levelling guides, BUT I also have been playing since 2004 and understand how different it is than retail. Also I am looking for a enjoyable experience not Jonna speed levelling.
              We will release the guides that closely match our original vanilla/tbc guides, as those were popular and people do seem to want those again. However, we will also add standalone guides for Silverpine Forest and Westfall, so that if you find things getting too difficult, you could take a break and use those guides to do additional quests - or you could run some dungeons to get some gear and levels. That should give you all the tools you need to tailor the guide experience to your liking.
              Become a Fan of Zygor Guides on Facebook:
              http://www.facebook.com/zygorguides

Follow Zygor Guides on Twitter:
              http://twitter.com/zygorguides

Comment

Originally posted by Zygor View Post
                We will release the guides that closely match our original vanilla/tbc guides, as those were popular and people do seem to want those again. However, we will also add standalone guides for Silverpine Forest and Westfall, so that if you find things getting too difficult, you could take a break and use those guides to do additional quests - or you could run some dungeons to get some gear and levels. That should give you all the tools you need to tailor the guide experience to your liking.
                I think you already are aware, but the Classic experience and expectations are the way they are because of how difficult it is to travel versus Retail. Your retail guides are super smooth, and I've never had any issues with them, however your Classic guides, on top of making us travel quite a bit, also sometimes make us travel when it doesn't make sense. I hope all of these things are reviewed, and updates are put out sooner rather than later.

Comment

Originally posted by Zygor Admin View Post
                  We are planning to revise the Classic guides. Interestingly enough, the reason the Classic guides are the way they currently are is because we wrote them like our Retail guides, which are geared more towards general questing guides than speed leveling. Based on feedback, the community has been happy with the nice guided experience for Retail. We assumed the same expectations would hold true for Classic and that our more casual oriented community would not like the rougher spots of Classic where you have to grind a lot or face difficult enemies. Therefore, we made considerations for this, traveling to where players could do more quests instead of grinding, and having them do extra leveling in the early areas so they would be able to more easily take on the difficult mobs. However, it seems the player base for WoW Classic is different from WoW Retail, so we will be making adjustments to reflect these different expectations.

Whats the ETA on these new guides and changes?

Comment

If these guides are for general questing why do you state "Power level your characters" on the front page?

Comment

Originally posted by razmataz79 View Post
                      If these guides are for general questing why do you state "Power level your characters" on the front page?
                      "Power leveling" is our term used for fast and optimized leveling that doesn't sacrifice the overall enjoyment in the gameplay experience.

"Speed leveling" or "speed running" is where you sacrifice enjoyment just to level as fast as humanely possible. For classic, this means only playing as certain classes like a Hunter (because some classes kill faster and can survive harder fights), avoiding looting items that aren't for quests, dying on purpose when that's technically faster to get back to town (despite taking a repairability hit), avoiding leveling professions side by side as you quest (leaving you broke and unable to pay for spells and mounts), and grinding...a LOT (because that's often faster than questing).
                      Zygor Guides Creative Director

Comment

I think the main playerbase of people playing classic and what they expect is much different from the playerbase and expectations of retail.

The vocal people are just complaining on the forum about inefficiency personally speaking i am not a fan and had canceled my subscription to the guide but will be resubing as you are saying your changing the guide.I probably would have resubbed in 2-3 months anyway when i go to make some alts and dont want to put in a ton of effort.I dont think the guide needs to change id like to see the guide have an option of "level slowly but less grinding and effort" and "more efficient speed path to 60" where you can just choose what path or playstyle you want to go with sure level your first char fast grind mobs if its needed. But at the end of the day when your bored and just want to hop on wow and chill the current path of quests is perfect yet inefficient.
                        The main problem is just what the majority of players just coming back to wow wanted which was speed and efficiency to max, and this guide is not that its layed back and slow but still good for later in the expansion just not for the very beginning.

Comment

I'm only level 17 horde and level 23 alliance so far, but I actually like how it is now. Maybe instead of rewriting just add another "level with grinding" guide?

Comment

Originally posted by Zygor Admin View Post
                            "Power leveling" is our term used for fast and optimized leveling that doesn't sacrifice the overall enjoyment in the gameplay experience.

"Speed leveling" or "speed running" is where you sacrifice enjoyment just to level as fast as humanely possible. For classic, this means only playing as certain classes like a Hunter (because some classes kill faster and can survive harder fights), avoiding looting items that aren't for quests, dying on purpose when that's technically faster to get back to town (despite taking a repairability hit), avoiding leveling professions side by side as you quest (leaving you broke and unable to pay for spells and mounts), and grinding...a LOT (because that's often faster than questing).
                            I don't want to seem disrespectful but I think this misses the spirit of what is being requested here.

I think it's reasonable to assume that the expectations of those of us who signed up for this guide is pretty straight forward... the fastest leveling experience possible for the average player. I appreciate that you are revising the guides to reflect that but I don't think anyone was expecting the guide to say "delete your priest character, roll a hunter."

What I am expecting is for it to say "complete all quests in this zone and kill every mob you see whole moving from this spot to this spot". If picking up a quest is time efficient then I'd think it would not have you do that.

If you should buy skills at certain levels it should have you do that as well.

At the end of the day I'm looking to level as effectively as possible within the time I have to play. If I want to digress from the grind I'll do that and my expectation is that the guide will "get me back on track".

It should also not stop at steps like "make this inn your home" when it's between other steps. It seems to do this over and over and makes it difficult sometimes to make sure you are on the right steps.

Thanks.

Comment

Also, why not have two versions of the guide? One more "explorative" and the other "focused" for those who might appreciate the style of the work put into the existing process.

Comment

Working...
                              X