Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guide Pricing

Hey Guys

Good to hear version 2.0 is coming soon. I just watched the latest video and noticed that the WoW T&C's say you can't charge for Addons, how does that work now for you guys, will version 2.0 be free?

I purchased the previous guide (very happy with it BTW) and was curious how you guys are going to go on developing if you can't charge for your awesome guide?

In the video, Zygor says they have developed a way to charge for it that does not violate Blizzard's policy. I am curious to learn what that method is.

Comment

Originally posted by jjr512 View Post
      In the video, Zygor says they have developed a way to charge for it that does not violate Blizzard's policy. I am curious to learn what that method is.
      It wouldnt be clever to tell how they did it (business wise)!
      Anyway, its not important how they did it - its more important that they made it possible! Thanks Zygor Staff!

Greetings,

JC

Comment

I think they're going to have to say how it's done, otherwise how will people pay? Kind of hard to pay if you don't know how to pay.

Comment

I'm also VERY curious about this - the official T&C that applies doesn't seem to have any loopholes.

This is an addon. Blizzard clearly state that addons cannot be charged for. It's that simple.

All we have is Zygor's assurance that they have worked around this and the way they have done so is "secret"

Well, the source code is there in the LUA files for all to see, so the code iteself can't be "secret".

Unless they have negotiated an arrangement with blizzard - in which case, we would need to see blizzard's official statement confirming that the guide doesn't break their T&C, then the guide IS breaking the T&C

Where is Blizzard's statement that the guide can continue be used as a paid for addon?

Comment

Guide Pricing

I have not seen the Blizzard statement that says you are not supposed to pay for addons. Please post a link to this please.

Comment

This is the UI policy that Zygor showed in his video:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/policy/ui.html

Comment

I see people think that the guide is an add-on...

The guide is not an add-on. The UI that detects and steps through the guide is.

Get it?

They won't be charging for the add-on, they'll be charging for the leveling path/guide information. Hope you guys understand?

Comment

Originally posted by AcidRaZor View Post
                  I see people think that the guide is an add-on...

The guide is not an add-on. The UI that detects and steps through the guide is.

Get it?

They won't be charging for the add-on, they'll be charging for the leveling path/guide information. Hope you guys understand?
                  This is correct. It has to do with how our actual guides are loaded in the game.

Think of the ZygorGuideViewer as the car, and our text guides are the passengers.

We give away the ZygorGuideViewer for free in our guide samples, so that complies with the "AddOns must be free policy". Once the game loads, our text guides are loaded by the viewer.

You see, all other guides available, besides Zygor Guides, have their actual guides load as actual addons and you can see them in your addon list when you load the game. For example:

"RandomGuideViewer"
                  "RandomAllianceGuide"

You will see both of those in your AddOn list. So, since the actual guide, "RandomAllianceGuide" is loaded as an addon, that guide seller is not in compliance with Blizzard's new policies.

Now, if you install our Version 2.0 guides, you will notice that ONLY ZygorGuidesViewer appears in your AddOns list. The actual leveling guide is not listed as an addon.

So, therefore, we are not charging for an addon. We give the addon away for free with the guide sample, then we sell the actual text leveling guides that the addon loads. That is why we are the only Blizzard compliant guide company - no one else has done this, and so their guides are not compliant.

I hope that clears up any confusion.
                  Become a Fan of Zygor Guides on Facebook:
                  http://www.facebook.com/zygorguides

Follow Zygor Guides on Twitter:
                  http://twitter.com/zygorguides

Comment

of course the guide is an addon, you have to install the lua files into your addon folder for it to work. withoout the ui part that drives it, then the text itself is usless - you may as well just publish it as a pdf like the old style guides. The two go hand in hand, you cant really have one without the other.

And if you tell me that Zygor will only give proceeds of sales to people who develop the quest text and not to the programmers who wrote the ui well... then I just LOL.

DOn't get me wroing, I would love for Zygor to be able to continue and of course if this is his "day job" then it needs to be profitable - but I'm wary of the splitting of hairs that's going on if they're justifying it by saying you're paying for the text not the ui.

Blizzard lawyers would have fun with that if they chose to pursue it.

** Update** I didnt't see Zygor's reply - I think we were both replying at the same time - I can kindof see your point Zygor but it's, as I said, a bit of hair splitting imho. Unless you have Blizzard's blessing already, I'm nervous for you.

Comment

When is it not "hair splitting" when it comes to legal code :\

Comment

Working...
                      X