Looking For the Revolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking For the Revolution

I am a bit baffled. I got the e-mails before how version 2.0 is going to be revolutionary. I didn't leave a comment on the news posts because, frankly, sounded like an ad from the shopping network. Now it is here and I decided to download, install, and take it to a test drive.

Now don't get me wrong. I have always loved the Zygor guide and used it extensively on all my characters when leveling, but to be honest, I do not see anything new here. In fact, I only see empty promises and buggy features.

1) Lets start with the customizable GUI. The changelog promised us this would be possible, but I can't find anything that would provide me with the mentioned function. Maybe it must all be made by hand in lua somehow but in that case it is hardly a revolutionary upgrade, since only a minority will care.

2) The guide, the actual path of quests does not seem to have changed much, which of course is not strange because, well, how much can you streamline it before becomes like the next Office release.

3) I read through the gold making guide, the part that people were literally climbing and drooling over each other in the comment section, but was disappointed to find that it was rather more like a How-To Guide to the Auctioneer addon, instead of some useful secret inside information that only a marginal elite WoW players are aware of.

4) The talent advisor looked interesting and I was honestly excited to look into it, even more so when I saw it had PvP builds in it. Sadly what I found hardly blew me away.

The options themselves were not only limited, but buggy and equivalent to something a six year old child could come up with. The builds are not really optimal, which I discovered while implementing the fire pvp spec. It forgoes all useful talents from the frost tree, specifically the ones that makes a mage so awesome on the battlegrounds.

Last but not least, when put my foot down saying "no, I will not use these gimped builds," the advisor prohibited me from using the build I had already tried and tested to be very successful by saying "you should never pick those talents!" When I just told it to shut up and turned it off, the whole thing crashed, apparently from the shock that someone dared go against its supreme recommendations.

I give the authors some points for trying to implement a daring feature but do not be surprised by its failure. Pvp is a much more complicated and organic environment than just a bunch of talent points. It is a, intertwined union of skill, gear, and talents. If your solution to successful pvp action is only a random string of talents then I suggest you use a pve spec, quest and do some occasional afking on BG matches when you feel like getting butt-kicked.
Working...
X