2 players and the guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 players and the guide

Since the first of October I've purchased both guides and really enjoy them. My daughter has recently been watching over my shoulder and is interested in playing some with me. Personally I think it's a blatant attempt to get a computer, but that's a different story .

Everything I've read says the guide is designed for one. So, assuming I get the PC and pickup the guide(s) for her...
    • Is it possible to "make the guide work" with 2 people?
    • If yes, what challenges will we likely run into along the way (i.e. to low level to accept quests, etc...)?

Thanks

I am not sure about legal issues with licenses and I have never tried two computers but .....

I have two accounts that I play on a single computer using the same installed instance of WoW. Since I use the same copy of warcraft the addons directory is the same for both and the guide works perfectly for quest tracking. Each toon has the guide open in the window and each one increments as it should with neither one impacting the other.

One issue I have found is when I do this I run in windowed mode and when resizing the window causes a zygor error but you know what? That is just so minor in my mind it is not worth reporting. I seriously doubt many people do what I am so why waste the developments team on this when there are bigger fish to fry?

Most every other addon I have works perfectly in this setup and the only issue I have found is nUI. For some reason nUI barks with about 60 errors then fails so I simply disable that addon before entering the game on the 2nd toon.
    Cairne Realm
    Main: 100 Human Prot Pally
    Alt#1: 100 Tauren Resto Druid
    Alt#2: 60 Dwarf Beast Hunter

Comment

Not a legal question!

Originally posted by antacus View Post
      I am not sure about legal issues with licenses and I have never tried two computers but .....
      I'm speaking to the usability of the guide itself. I have no problem paying for additional copies of the guide if it will work when my daughter and I play. Not to mention if she really gets into it she'll be able to use the guide(s) on her own time.

Comment

I was jsut putting a disclaimer on there because I don't want any of the staff jumping down my neck for promoting something they don't allow

As for using it for your intent ... I don't think you will find any technical issues from my experience using the guide. It does an awesome job tracking individual toons, even across multiple accounts. And it even tracks multiple toons when logged into the same computer using the same instance of the guide.

One of my biggest issues is keeping the multiple toons in sync. If you and your daughter are playing and keeping the same quest lines exactly the same some of the collection quests are annoying. You have to collect 2x the items and that slows you down. Example, last night I had my dual box going and I needed to collect 16 satyr horns per toon ... 32 horns total. Do you know that one stinking quest took me over an hour because they were NOT droping the horns easily. I must have killed over 100 of those buggers for 32 stinking horns.

Another issue is keeping in sync with the guide. I tend to skip ahead (read other posts for details) and have done so 5 times now. Last night I skipped ahead and missed some lead in quests which took me about an hour to get back in sync with the guide. If I would have toughed through I bet it would saved time. Other skipps have not had that issue so ...

Lastly, the guide assumes you follow it so one of my other skips made me miss a flight point. So when step 45 (or whatever it was) came up I had a LONG run because I did not have the FP.
        Cairne Realm

Comment

You and your daughter can use the same copy of the guide, no need to buy another copy. :-)
          Become a Fan of Zygor Guides on Facebook:
          http://www.facebook.com/zygorguides

Follow Zygor Guides on Twitter:
          http://twitter.com/zygorguides

Comment

Mob XP follow up

I was jsut putting a disclaimer on there because I don't want any of the staff jumping down my neck for promoting something they don't allow
            No problem. I wouldn't want to anger the license deities either.

...the collection quests are annoying. You have to collect 2x the items and that slows you down. Example, last night I had my dual box going and I needed to collect 16 satyr horns per toon ... 32 horns total....
            I bet that was brutal. I can only imagine how long it would take to get the hearts, lungs, and other internal organs for the late 40's to early 50's part of the Alliance guide.

Would experience for mob kills be an issue since it's being split up? Or is the guide strictly based on quest turn in XP?

Originally posted by Zygor View Post
            You and your daughter can use the same copy of the guide, no need to buy another copy. :-)
            Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by devfrag View Post
              Would experience for mob kills be an issue since it's being split up? Or is the guide strictly based on quest turn in XP?
              That is hard to say from my end user view. I added a second account via the refer a friend and am leveling up a pair of toons at the same time. So right now the boost from RAF is such that I am constantly skipping sections of the guide because of the extra XP.
              Cairne Realm

Comment

Originally posted by devfrag View Post

Thanks!
                Now i've tried leveling solo and with a friend (him just following my every lead, thinking i'm a wow guru because i know where every quest is. My little secret ) and i can say this: leveling solo or with a friend makes no matter. IME there are less than 10% difference to lvl 70 and even lvl 80.. The xp lost from being in team easily gets compensated with killing twice the mobs when on a "collect xx items" quests.

Comment

I'm sold

Originally posted by Miracus12 View Post
                  Now i've tried leveling solo and with a friend (him just following my every lead, thinking i'm a wow guru because i know where every quest is. My little secret ) and i can say this: leveling solo or with a friend makes no matter. IME there are less than 10% difference to lvl 70 and even lvl 80.. The xp lost from being in team easily gets compensated with killing twice the mobs when on a "collect xx items" quests.
                  Thanks for the input. She's "convinced me" to get her a computer. Not a hard sell though when her dad's a gamer . Level 80, here we come.

Comment

Working...
                  X