OR

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Account Hacked (Not due to Zygor's Guide)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Account Hacked (Not due to Zygor's Guide)

Hey everyone. I just wanted to let you know that my account was hacked today sometime between 1200 EST and 1345 EST. I am not blaming anyone, and certainly not Zygor's for this. I have not downloaded any new addons in the last 2 or 3 weeks (and the only ones I downloaded then were Deadly Boss Mods, Recount, and Omen).

I checked my account on the WoW Armory and my main is gone, my ally bank toon is gone, my horde bank toon is gone, and some weird character that I have never created is on my account. Not too sure how this happened. I am running a virus scan now. I think it might have happened today as I was trying to access the WoW Armory Light version from work and clicked what I thought was it...who knows.

Bah...this sucks.

This has happened to staff members of Zygor Guides as well. That is why we all use authenticators with our accounts now and we recommend that after you get your account back you do the same:

http://us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100000622
    Become a Fan of Zygor Guides on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zygor-...04933799556988

Follow Zygor Guides on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/zygorguides

Comment

Agreed

There seems to be a consesus from the Blizard staff that the issue has to do with applications like curse and wowmatrix that people use to update addons. As I also had my account hacked while in california recently on guest wireless. Things to know
      1 - blizzard does not do any validation on security tokens before adding the to acounts.
      2 - They also dont track which tokens are on which accounts from the supprt side.
      3- They also do not disable removed tokens.

In my case it was most insidious they hacked my account then put an authenticator on it - omg did that suck. given the recent increase if hacks since everyone was forced to use battle.net I cant emphasize enough how important it is to use an authenticator - at 6 bucks it beats the aggravation of getting your account hacked!!

Krustee

Comment

I believe my account was also hacked about 24 hours ago. I'm not sure how it happened but about 12 hours ago I received an e-mail telling me my account had been closed for stuff I didn't do. I tried logging in to my Battle.net account and it asked me for an Authenticator code. The problem is I have never added any Authenticator to my account. I believe someone hacked the account, added an Authenticator and then got closed.

I've e-mailed Blizzard about it and hopefully they'll realize the account has indeed been compromised and will overturn the ban. Of course, knowing how Blizzard normally don't overturn their bans I'm not really keeping my hopes up...

Comment

My account has been hacked twice in less then a month. I changed email acount for battlenet account all passwords. Have Norton Internet security up and 2 anti keylogger programs running. Hope this stops hack.
          If you been hacked just contact wowaccount admin, and wait.

Comment

Glad I'm not alone

My account was zapped the Sunday before Thanksgiving. Luckily I managed to get my stuff back before the long weekend to enjoy lots of Zygor guide usage . Naturally I changed passwords, ran scans, etc... and couldn't find anything solid. I ended up reinstalling everything from the OS up. For me, the MO was convert everything into gold that could be and sell sell sell, or trade trade trade.

Not only did I order an authenticator for my account, I'm buying them for friends and guildmates as Christmas presents.

Talk about feeling like getting kicked in the stomach!

Comment

ever since we had to change to battle net accounts peeps in our guild get attacked .
              it was better the old way , recomend you order a key fob thing me jig though
              If you a Horde player Feel free to join our Horde group : http://www.zygorguides.com/forum/group.php?groupid=6

Comment

i was fortunate enough to not have my toons deleted but there were toons made on my account that i didn't make. i couldn't have made made them. they had the weird letters. you need to have number pad which my keyboard doesn't have that because its a gaming keyboard. Not sure how this happened. I agree that the authenticator is a very good idea. I don't have the authenticator. I just change my password once and a while.

Comment

Well, things have gone from bad to worse. My account was unbanned for a short period after I changed my password at Blizzard's request multiple times. Then, it was under another 24 ban while the account hack was being investigated. Today, while my account is still under that 24 hour ban, my account was closed due to "Terms of Use Violation -- Exploitative Activity: Abuse of the Economy" which sucks. This jack ass apparently sold my gold for real money.

*Sigh*

I have been working with Blizzard to try to get my account reinstated, get my characters back that were deleted, and get all my gold back, but it is not looking good. This is enough to make me want to walk away from WoW for good. I am truly sadened by this. A lot of hard work down the drain because of malicious pieces of $*!& in the world. I know I did something wrong to get my account hacked, but I can't figure it out right now.

Well, it is a waiting game at this point. It has been fun up until now. Hopefully things can be settled. Take care everyone.

Comment

I think the only thing you did wrong was (like us all) switch to the battlenet crap that was forced on us by Blizzard. Ever since that happened there has been an increase in the number of accounts being hacked from what I've seen. I think the only ones to blame here are Blizzard and they're lack of taking proper security steps before forcing a new account system on everyone.
                    My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

12 year old databases

Originally posted by cabby View Post
                      I think the only thing you did wrong was (like us all) switch to the battlenet crap that was forced on us by Blizzard
                      According to Wikipedia, battle.net will be 12 years old next month. I wonder how many "dormant", now active, admin accounts are still out there?

Comment

Yes, battle.net has been around forever now. However, the new battle net merge with World of Warcraft is new, and my assumption is there is a loophole in the websites security giving records of new accounts and such. I'm sure the old admin accounts have been cleared by now, only currently employees should have them.
                        It may seem narcissistic to link this, but it's awesome nonetheless.

Comment

Account Hacks and Authenticators

My account was hacked about 6 months ago. The account was hacked then sold to some guy in Montana. I was able to prove to Blizz that I was the true owner and per them I set up a new e-mail to link to the account. My advice run spyware/malware detection programs OFTEN. Spend the 6 bucks for the authenticator and link it as soon as you get it in the mail. Don't ever open or reply to any e-mail asking for you to "Verify" your account. I have seen and Deleted two such e-mails. One telling me that I violated the terms of use agreement and telling me to "verify" my information in order to speed up the investigation. and the second one was a generic, badly translated one saying that Blizzard needed to verify my account prior to the Battle.net conversion. Neither of which did I respond to.

Comment

I am not sure if anyone else got this spam ingame, but there are pst's going about that tell you your account will be banned if you dont reply to such-and-such web address. Thank GOD I use Mac, and it caught the site as a hacker site before it allowed it to open.

All in all... get the authenticator (which I will order ASAP when I get home from work), and give NO ONE your information. If its Blizzard/WoW.. they have it already!!

Good luck to all of you.
                            "The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas."

Comment

Another option for people with an iPhone / iPod is to load the Blizzard Battle.net Authenticator. The app is free and works the same as the one you buy from them. A friend at work uses the $6 Blizzard unit and leaves it on his monitor. He has not been hacked since he bought it but he can't even log into the battle.net web site w/o it. I use an iPhone and always have it with me so that would not be a problem in my setup.

It looks to be straight from Blizzard:
                              http://us.blizzard.com/support/artic...tag=BNETMOBILE

One review I read said to be sure you write down the serial number somewhere just in case you lose the phone.

Now, I'll admit I loaded the app today but I have not linked my account yet
                              Cairne Realm
                              Main: 100 Human Prot Pally
                              Alt#1: 100 Tauren Resto Druid
                              Alt#2: 60 Dwarf Beast Hunter

Comment

Working...
                              X