Boosting Fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boosting Fail

So, I make no excuses about being a bit of a WoW noob when it comes to certain things; as someone who has solo'd their way through the game 99% of the time, I've missed a lot of aspects of the game, such as dungeons etc. Lately I've been soloing the Stockades, since it's a decent way to do quick runs for mats one can auction (generally 2 runs in 20-ish mins, nets me around 65g in cash/greys/materials).

Last night I had someone ask me to boost them through DM (a guildie); always happy to help, I travelled out to meet them. My method was to round up all the mobs and then drop some AoE on them all at once. Obviously this can leave the odd mob behind but I tend to pick them off afterwards.

Anyway, last night this guildie was following behind at a distance, but died a few times from these stray mobs, or followed me onto the boat before I had it cleared off. Naturally, he died a couple of times and I waited for him to return. Eventually he gave up, said I was pathetic and should face the fact that I had no idea how to boost.

I guess my point in posting this is: what IS the accepted method of boosting? Is it going through mobs one by one? I hold my hand up and say that at this point I give up even pretending to know anything about this game beyond solo play
    Proud noob, opinionated nerd, and asker of obvious questions.

Main: Reliq (DK - 85).
    Alts: Baym (Paladin - 85), Aotearoa (Priest - 85), Selleck (Hunter), Reliqa (Warrior)

Sounds to me like you did just fine. If your guildie was too dumb to not keep his distance then he's got no one to blame but himself. I personally almost never take someone and run them thru an instance just so they can take the easy leveling path.

You should tell your guildie that instead of complaining he should be thanking you for taking the time to try to make his game life easier instead of letting him do it on his own. There's too many players in the game that always want the easy way and always think they know the best way for someone else to do their job, but you seldom see a grateful player who's willing to thank someone for trying to help them.
    My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Thanks cabby. I think I'll just pass on any requests for boosts, unless they're friends (and at the moment I only have one in-game buddy who I only see every couple weeks anyway). But this just really upset me in a weird way, possibly because I went out of my way to help him out. Oh well

I enjoyed going through the dungeon though, and now have it in my head to get the achievements in those classic dungeons, since I should be able to solo most of them, especially when I ding level 80
      Proud noob, opinionated nerd, and asker of obvious questions.

Main: Reliq (DK - 85).
      Alts: Baym (Paladin - 85), Aotearoa (Priest - 85), Selleck (Hunter), Reliqa (Warrior)

Comment

Not sure what class you play and from the sounds of things we are pretty close to the same boat. My point of view ... I have helped a guild member run an instance or two. So far they are smart enough to either stay back or run right into the blizzard to pull aggro off themselves. Think about it, they stay right in the middle of the action and do not attack then as soon as my AoE hits the mob once the aggro is on me.

Typically the way I have done this is to change to my frost spec and set my water elly to aggro. Then I run through trying to pull as much as I can on myself. Between the two I have been lucky and not killed any lowbies yet, but you know the time is coming.

As for Cabby's comment, I do agree that running someone through a quick instance run for the goal of leveling does seem like cheating. I would not want to help someone (or multiples) do that a lot. So far my help has been for quests ... and to get old achievements which I missed while helping them
        Cairne Realm
        Main: 100 Human Prot Pally
        Alt#1: 100 Tauren Resto Druid
        Alt#2: 60 Dwarf Beast Hunter

Comment

Well, if they can't solo the dungeon themselves, I don't think you're the pathetic one.
          85s
          Skippyninja
          Oomatherman
          Judedaniels
          MissRuPaul
          Sumekomovani
          Pattymelt
          Shamwiches
          Twonewon
          Takakoinaba
          Cursesmcgee

Comment