Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rogue, crit or hit?

Hi

I been wondering lately what is best for my rogue, crit rating or hit rating.
    If I have understood it right, crit is mostly for pvp and hit is mostly for pve.

Im far off?

Hit is only really important when you start doing heroics etc, because of the difficulty in hitting mobs that will be level 80+.

Good description of how much hit you need Elitistjerks.com

Basically it depends on what talents you have, and what buffs you get from your usual raid group.

Comment

I see

Then I check the gearsets, and as far as I can see the PVP sets have crit and PVE sets has hit, exept the T10 rogue set that has low hit and high crit.

So I think I go for crit for my PVE gear, and hit for my PVP, as my dps in hc dungeons is not good. (have 2parts of T9, cant hit 2K dps yet :*( )

My specs is:
      PVP
      PVE

Comment

My character

Got the same PVE build as you it seems. Think I'm fairly much in line with the stuff I need for PVE, stat wise. I've got an average gear level of 213.9. My dps in heroics is about 2400-2800 average over the whole dungeon I think. Burst of around 4500, bit over 3000 on bosses. Numbers pulled from memory

Comment

I don't know if this works for all classes, but it does for mages....

There is such a thing called the "hit cap" and the value of said cap depends on your class and spec. For example, my mage: Skippyninja is an Arcane mage with a few points in frost and fire. Arcane has the lowest hit cap at 210.

I was told that as soon as I hit lvl 80, to get as close to the hit cap as I could. Currently I have 214, the extra 4 points don't give me anything, so they are worthless. Now when I look at gear, if it gives me hit, I'm less likely to take it since other stats, like haste and crit. are much better once I've capped.

So, I guess you should find out what your hit cap is, get to it then focus on not going over too much and stack other stats.
          85s
          Skippyninja
          Oomatherman
          Judedaniels
          MissRuPaul
          Sumekomovani
          Pattymelt
          Shamwiches
          Twonewon
          Takakoinaba
          Cursesmcgee

Comment

Rule of thumb for itemization in PvE:

Gear for Hit until you reach your classes Hit Cap. (since rogues duel wield, do NOT try and reach the hit cap for your offhand)
            For rogues, Agility is your bread and butter after you have reached your Hit goal.

For all your other details, as said above, do some research of some already written material. While I am a HUGE advocate of elitisterks.com, some may find it a tad ..."Over their head". If this is the case, simply google what you are trying to figure out. I googled "how to gear a rogue wow 3.3" and came up with an awesome "simple" guide to rogues. http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/26212
            I am CDO. This is a lot like OCD, except the letters are in alphabetical order... as they should be.

Comment

Hi all

Thanks for the advice.

I found this about hit ratings.
              I have now over 400 hit rating, and according to the link above, I dont need to gem/enchant for hit anymore.

I find the chart at http://shadowpanther.net to be wery helpfull too, but it sometimes crash with the info above to not gem for attack power.
              A lot of the gems at shadowpanther for pvp is AP gems, but I guess that the info in the first link is for pvp, and the shadowpanther charts about pve gems are different.

Anyway, following the gear charts at shadowpanther, Im doing now great in pve and better and better in BG
              (Im hitting for the highest ranked gear I can get)

But I guess, then it comes to gems and enchant, I have to check what I need for my stats, and not only take the highest on the charts.

I changed my pve spec to Mut too, works better for me

Comment

There is a ton of things you need to take into account when playing a rogue at any level end game wether its t7,t8 all the way up to t10 heroic.

First thing you need to check is the spec, the kind folks over at elitist jerks were helpfull enough to spreadsheet the best possible talents for which spec you choose n pve. Both combat and mutilate. Things you have to take into consideration is what type of rogue are you wanting to play? Are you looking at dps on single target fights or are you wanting to hit multiple mobs.

Single target fights Mutilate comes out on top.
                Multiple target fights Combat comes out on top.

Best Mutilate Spec - 51/18/2
                Best Combat Spec - 20/51/0

Typical rotation i use personally in t10 based gear stats.

Mutilate
                [Stealth] ->> Open with Mutilate for more combat points ->> Slice and Dice ->> Hunger for blood ->> Mutilate 3-4 Point ->> Envenom ->> (Repeat whole fight with mutilate and envenom whilst keeping SnD + HfB up)

Combat
                [Stealth] ->> Open with Garrote ->> Sinister to 4-5 point ->> Slice and Dice ->> Sinster to 4-5 point ->> Eviscerate ->> Repeat. (Use Cooldowns as soon as they are available depending on the situation.

Quite obviously though you have to adjust your rotation according to different fights and situations, also rember to always use Tricks of trade either on the tank or if theres another rogue available start tricks trading.

As for stats rember these caps

Expertise - 26 (214)
                Hit - 315
                Crit - Depending on gear, check elitist jerk spreadsheets.
                ArP - 1400

Combat in T10 gem for ArP, otherwise gem for AP/Haste, Mutilate always gem for AP/Haste. As for weapons Mutilate have slow MH dagger with Instant poison and Fast OH dagger with deadly poison. Combat have Slow mainhand axe or sword, with fast OH sword or axe, same poisons as mutilate.

Rogue - Uprise
                Death Knight - Upri
                Shaman - Spade
                Priest - Uprisé

Comment

Thanks

What can explain why the charts at shadowpanther has a lot of AP gems high up for pvp and Expertise for pve gems.

Comment

Well AP now increases poison damage, so having more AP means his instant and deadly will deal more damage. Overall though the more AP you have the more damage you will do anyway. Just in PVE you need to focus on your caps alot more than you do in PVP.

Once you hit your expertise cap of 26 (on character panel) there is no beneficial gain by gemming for more.

Rogue - Uprise
                    Death Knight - Upri
                    Shaman - Spade
                    Priest - Uprisé

Comment

Right now I have 433 hit rating , 33.72% crit and 13 expertice.
                      I guess I have to gem more for expertice

I guess too that then the caps are retched, its not wrong to gem for agi.

Comment

Originally posted by isvein View Post
                        Right now I have 433 hit rating , 33.72% crit and 13 expertice.
                        I guess I have to gem more for expertice

I guess too that then the caps are retched, its not wrong to gem for agi.
                        Nothing wrong with gemming agility or attack power, go read posts in elitist jerks though, you will learn loads! Hope you enjoy playing your rogue, keep us informed if you see a nice dps increase Would love to know if its all working out ok for you bud!.

If you want to talk about more sometime catch me in game on WoW EU - Twisting nether server, my rogue is Uprise, my priest is Uprisé.

Rogue - Uprise
                        Death Knight - Upri
                        Shaman - Spade
                        Priest - Uprisé

Comment

Hi again

Im now looking into PVP gems, and according to all the info I can find, you only need:

1 Relentless Earthsiege Diamond
                          1 Nightmare Tear (seems like this alone count as all colors and can alone make the meta work)

Rest of gem slots: Bright Cardinal Ruby

Seems like AP is most important in pvp, not all the hit caps.
                          But I cant find out if this is true for arena or if its only for BG.

Comment

http://www.arenajunkies.com

More specifically:
                            http://www.arenajunkies.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51
                            I am CDO. This is a lot like OCD, except the letters are in alphabetical order... as they should be.

Comment

Hi

Anyone know if the caps for rouges are different now that 4.0.1 is out?
                              Maybe to early to find out....

Comment

Working...
                              X