So I've started a Priest...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I've started a Priest...

...and it's fun, much different from what I'm used to (as I'm generally a hack-and-slash melee class).

But I have a question: I'm currently lvl 12, and expect to be 15 in a couple of days, when I'll be jumping into the dungeons. Which spec is best for ongoing dungeon healing at this level, while also ensuring a certain degree of survivability?

Right now I'm using the Zygor shadow spec, will this do for dungeon healing as well, or should I spec to Holy? (I don't mind starting the talents from scratch)

Experience healers, please help!
    Proud noob, opinionated nerd, and asker of obvious questions.

Main: Reliq (DK - 85).
    Alts: Baym (Paladin - 85), Aotearoa (Priest - 85), Selleck (Hunter), Reliqa (Warrior)

Judging from my own experience, speccing Holy is the way to go if you're looking to be a healer. Survivability shouldn't be much of an issue since you'll be sitting in the back of the party most of the time just healing. Mana will be a bigger issue, so make sure your Spirit is high.
    Become a Fan of Zygor Guides on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zygor-...04933799556988

Follow Zygor Guides on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/zygorguides

Comment

I've had some nice success using Disc as my spec for healing the 5 man dungeons. This spec will focus more on using shield and regen over just casting heals.
      My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Sorry, I mean to say "while also ensuring a certain degree of survivability while questing" Obviously when I get to 40 I can dual spec, but until then I want the spec that will help me cover my a** in both areas (I don't plan to PVP at all until Wintergrasp)

Alts: Baym (Paladin - 85), Aotearoa (Priest - 85), Selleck (Hunter), Reliqa (Warrior)

Comment

I think a disc spec should be good for survivability also. Instant cast shield to absorb a lot of damage along with an instant cast HoT. All you would need is your 2 DoTs and a wand.

Comment

http://plusheal.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3623

I highly suggest reading this first, I have leveled a holy priest running nothing but dungeon after dungeon using the LFG tool. If you have the BoA gear, the levels will fly by.

Healing as shadow is easy pre-shadow form. I would suggest that when you hit level 40, pick up an off spec that will be used for healing. And switch between the 2 when you're questing and running randoms.

I am currently leveling a holy priest, I like thier ability to heal multiple targets relatively quickly. I plan on using her as a raid healer when she hits 80. Holy priests also learn an awesome talent that turns them into an angel upon death that grants mana-free heals for 15-sec. Combined with a Warlock's Soul Stone, it's a potent combination.
            85s
            Skippyninja
            Oomatherman
            Judedaniels
            MissRuPaul
            Sumekomovani
            Pattymelt
            Shamwiches
            Twonewon
            Takakoinaba
            Cursesmcgee

Comment

Thanks Skippy!

Comment

Originally posted by rokku View Post
                Thanks Skippy!
                You're welcome!
                85s
                Skippyninja
                Oomatherman
                Judedaniels
                MissRuPaul
                Sumekomovani
                Pattymelt
                Shamwiches
                Twonewon
                Takakoinaba
                Cursesmcgee

Comment

Quick update: I have my two BoA items (the PVP shoulders and the PVE chest, since they were both easy to get as I had the shards/badges), and she now looks kick-ass and ready to level up I also began following the talent recommendations in that thread. Currently lvl 13 (almost 14), so not long til LFG action

Comment

I did the exact same thing and the first couple levels (15 until about 19) I really think leveling via LFG sucked. I was getting S L O W experience in the instances. There is good learning experience, do this when you see that type of things but the levels seemed slow at first. I am 28 (ish) now and the experience seems to be faster. I'll admit that last week I did not play at all and this week I focused on kicking little kids around the various towns
                    Cairne Realm
                    Main: 100 Human Prot Pally
                    Alt#1: 100 Tauren Resto Druid
                    Alt#2: 60 Dwarf Beast Hunter

Comment

Also pick up 2x Eye of the Discerning Beast these trinkets not only give you SP, but also return 2% of your base mana when you kill an enemy that yields XP or honor (the effects stack so essentially you'll get 4%) combine that with the 3/3 Spirit Tap, and you'll rarely have to drink.
                      85s
                      Skippyninja
                      Oomatherman
                      Judedaniels
                      MissRuPaul
                      Sumekomovani
                      Pattymelt
                      Shamwiches
                      Twonewon
                      Takakoinaba
                      Cursesmcgee

Comment

Cool, thanks. Thats 100 badges worth so I'll work on those

Comment

If you plan to do a lot of dungeon healing then I'd recommend ignoring the Shadow tree until you can at least get the 3/3 Meditation from the Discipline tree. Spirit Tap is only useful when soloing because you have to land the killing blow to get the mana. In a dungeon you'll hardly ever land a killing blow.

Comment

Originally posted by cabby View Post
                            If you plan to do a lot of dungeon healing then I'd recommend ignoring the Shadow tree until you can at least get the 3/3 Meditation from the Discipline tree. Spirit Tap is only useful when soloing because you have to land the killing blow to get the mana. In a dungeon you'll hardly ever land a killing blow.
                            Really? I thought you benefit from the buff even if you don't land the killing blow.
                            85s
                            Skippyninja
                            Oomatherman
                            Judedaniels
                            MissRuPaul
                            Sumekomovani
                            Pattymelt
                            Shamwiches
                            Twonewon
                            Takakoinaba
                            Cursesmcgee

Comment

Nope, that's why I switched off the leveling Shadow spec when I started doing the dungeons exclusively. It's the same thing for the affliction warlocks and their mana gain from killing mobs with Drain Soul. No killing blow = no mana, so for the dungeons as a priest your best talent is that Meditation for 50% mana regen while casting.

Comment

Working...
                              X