Dual account advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual account advice?

I've recently realized happily that my laptop can run 2 instances of WoW at once. So I've started running 2 accounts using RaF.

What I wanted to ask is what programs to people recommend for running both on the same machine. I've heard of keyclone, game commander pro and such but not sure which is best to use.

I have minimal knowledge of scripting/programming and although I doubt I'll end up running more than one acct I'd like the option. So ease of use and flexibility is important to me.

Thanks for any help.

If you are only running the 2nd account for the RAF bonus then imho don't bother with any add on programs. The amount of time you will spend figuring them out is really not worth it. You will get 1-60 in under 2.5 days /played and depending upon your combo team you may hardly every even touch the 2nd toon. Here is how I did it...

* Run Warcraft in windowed mode, not full screen *

1st RAF pair:
    • Hunter (DPS) / Mage (DPS) combo
    • Made Logitech G15 keyboard macros "/follow <hunter>" & "/assist <hunter>"
    • Mage followed the hunter
    • Hunter killed everything and had a bear tank, hunter way overpowered at low levels
    • IF the target lived long enough ALT-Tab to mage and hit the assist key + Numb 1 (DPS spell of the day)
    • The huge XP bonus kept me skipping sections of the guide, this was pre-SiS, and everything died so quick and easy it was sad
    • Only downside was keeping an eye on the mage looking for "AFK" flag then alt-tabbing over and moving him to keep from timeout
    • send the Zebra type mount to my mage and enjoy

2nd RAF pair:
    • Pally (ret build) / Priest (heal build) combo
    • Pally had +20% BoA equipment
    • Made Logitech G15 keyboard macros "/follow <pally>", "/assist <pally>" & "/cast <heal> <pally>"
    • Pally killed most everything, priest helped DPS some
    • IF the target lived long enough ALT-Tab to priest and hit the assist key + Numb 1 (DPS spell of the day)
    • Again huge XP bonus but with SiS the guide did quite well keeping up.
    • Two downsides this time. 1) keeping an eye on the priest looking for "AFK" again. 2) keeping the priest within 3 levels for the RAF to not break. Typically I skipped collection style quests on the pally and this kept the two close enough to not break RAF
    • send the rocket type mount to my mage and enjoy

Now, if you actually want to play beyond level 60 and RAF it would be worth looking into some software because in heavy fights I found the ALT-Tab to be a little slow. But in 120 levels across two RAF builds that happened maybe three or four times. So if you are only doing the 1-60 RAF ... why waste time learning something you are already planning to get rid of?
    Cairne Realm
    Main: 100 Human Prot Pally
    Alt#1: 100 Tauren Resto Druid
    Alt#2: 60 Dwarf Beast Hunter

Comment

When I multibox (been a while), I run on two computers, so I use Hotkeynet and an addon called Jamba.

For two accounts on one computer, you may want to try Keyclone in stead of Hotkeynet.
      Go to http://dual-boxing.com/forums.php?pa...threadID=11459 for info on relevant programs, addons, etc.

I have set up Hotkeynet so the keys 1 .. 0, plus the two next, plus modifiers are transferred to the remote. '1' is bound to /startattack on the local, but Hotkeynet transfers a key bound to /assist {name or focus} on the remote. Similarly, another key is set up for /follow {name}, but is dropped locally and only sent to the remote. This works from both computers, so I can use either one as primary.

Jamba handles notifications (low health, auto declines, etc.), plus some other issues.
      Last edited by pinghansen; July 14, 2010, 03:49 PM. Reason: clarification
      QQ

The CIA deliberately spread misinformation that tin-foil hats prevent mind control.
      The horrible truth is, that tinfoil hats enable mind control.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

when i did it i kinda did it a special way... before 3.3 (had a bored 80 friend to run me through dungeons played the healer and had the dps follow me around had teams

Shaman + Hunter (Easy Mode)
        Pally and Priest (That was diffcult)
        Pally and Rogue (Sneaky around was easy for the rogue)

Comment

I dual boxed on one system. I wanted to level my mage on my main account, so made a pallie on the second RAF account. Had the mage on constant follow with a random need to alt-tab (mac version of that, of course) for mounting or dealing with the quests.
          Also, keep in mind, with the ToS and such from Blizzard, they want to see a button comand preceding an action on said account. What that means is, if you have a comand set up on the main toon you're using to give the second toon to do an action, this will not generate this comand/action sequence. There is a minor chance to get banned for powerleveling by doing this, but its a chance I chose not to take.
          "The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas."

Comment

Greetings,

While you can't make macros on the main account to send it to the second player, you can use a program such as KeyClone, Hotkeynet, Octupus, etc, to "clone" your keystrokes and it's completely allowed by Blizzard.

They want to ensure that there's no automation in the game. When you multibox, you have to be in front of your computer handling each character. When you press the 1 key, it will send that key to both WoW clients, but you're still essentially playing both characters. If you have any doubts whatsoever, contact your neighborhood GM and ask, or look at www.dual-boxing.com, they'll give you the information needed :-).

@OP -

I'd definitely follow Antacus's advice regarding programs. Last time I was multiboxing, there was a $20.00 one-time fee for KeyClone, which isn't bad, but it's $20.00 you can save for gas ;-). As far as I know, most of the free multiboxing programs require a bit more work as far as configuration/writing the scripts. If you follow the ideas Antacus threw at you, you can most definitely begin as a multiboxer without any hassle :-).

Just wanted to clear that up,
            Silverhawk11
            It may seem narcissistic to link this, but it's awesome nonetheless.

Comment

Can I get more detailed info are you saying pay another monthly account besides the existing or create 2 new toons

Comment

I didnt read each post here in detail, but rather scanned them.

When I did my RAF leveling, I payed for a second account for a month. Far more time than I needed to get my toon to 60.
                Plus, when the RAF account pays for a subscription, your 'main' account gets credited for a month subscription, so it was a wash in the end.

Going to do this again in the near future. Dual boxing without a program like what was mentioned here is difficult, but worth it in the end.
                "The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas."

Comment

Lol what does raf stand for

Comment

Refer A Friend
                    My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Working...
                    X