Cannot use updater [solved: disable BitDefender]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot use updater [solved: disable BitDefender]

To fix another problem I had, I had to delete my interface folder, along with all the addons. After installing most things again, the only thing I could not install was Zygor Guides. I downloaded the update client, but when I clicked Install, a Downloading Update bar would appear for several seconds, but when the bar went, the guides still weren't installed.

I did a manual install, and the updater recognized that the guides were now installed, but with the recent update, I had the same problem. I can't use the client to download the guides.

I'm sure the guide can connect with the server, as it recognizes the new updates. I've given every possible permisson to the updater and tried with firewall turned off. I've ran as administrator, downlaoded latest .NET framework, but nothing fixes the problem.

Any suggestions? My OS is Win 7 x64.

Just a shot in the dark but right click the desktop icon and click properties. Click the Compatibility tab and then check the box for run as administrator. And try that. If not try checking the box for run this program in compatibility mode for and try the Windows XP service pack 3 choice and see if that works with the run as administrator option also checked.
    I'm Rebur, Tadia, or Judianna most games.
    Twitter @Chaos5061.
    Translations are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Tried both, unfortunately no luck.

Comment

Can you get into the updater or will not even that install?
        Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

If you can the try inputting your username and password in the settings of the updater and see if that will do anything. Now the updater doesn't like special characters like $@&!%# so if you have this then you need to change it. After those are entered click repair and see if that will do anything.
          Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

My username/pass has no special characters, and yes, I can run the updater.exe, though I wasn't aware there was anything to install. My problem is that I click install but nothing installs.

Comment

Ok try this as a work around and see if it works. Download and install the manual install and keep the updater. After installing the manual go into the updater and see if it registers the guides as being installed. Make sure that the updater is closed when you do this. If nothing has changed then click repair and see if it will do anything.
              Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

I'm sorry, I'm trying to be polite, but did you even read my OP? And to answer your suggestion, no Repair will delete the manual install and then, as always not download it.

Comment

Sorry about that. With that the only thing I can now tell you to do is to submit a problem with the support page and let Zygor get in contact with you and see if he can help with some remote help. You can reach the support page here: http://www.zygorguides.com/support/contact.php
                  Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

The only thing I can think of is missing rights to the addons folder. The UAC of Windows protects several folders. Most people have problems when they installed WoW into "Program Files" as this normally is read only. I don't exactly know if running a program as administrator solves this.
                    Also Win7 seems to protect whole partitions not created by itself. At least I wasn't able to write on my XP partition without setting the acces rights for users in the folder properties, section security.
                    On my Vista I deactivated UAC because of several such issues.

Comment

Disabled UAC to no avail, I'm about to send a support ticket. I just don't understand why it won't download the guides, it has the power to delete them when I click Repair, yet fails to update with a replacement.

Comment

Probably your best path to follow now. Seems like you have followed the suggestions to get it to work properly. Might as well let the master (Zygor) see what he can do.
                        "The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas."

Comment

Originally posted by kinseth View Post
                          To fix another problem I had, I had to delete my interface folder, along with all the addons. After installing most things again, the only thing I could not install was Zygor Guides. I downloaded the update client, but when I clicked Install, a Downloading Update bar would appear for several seconds, but when the bar went, the guides still weren't installed.

I did a manual install, and the updater recognized that the guides were now installed, but with the recent update, I had the same problem. I can't use the client to download the guides.

I'm sure the guide can connect with the server, as it recognizes the new updates. I've given every possible permisson to the updater and tried with firewall turned off. I've ran as administrator, downlaoded latest .NET framework, but nothing fixes the problem.

Any suggestions? My OS is Win 7 x64.
                          Are you using any virus programs such as "Bit Defender"? Also this may be an outdated question but do you have the Microsoft Framework 2.0 installed on your computer? This will just help us narrow down what not to try.
                          Become a Fan of Zygor Guides on Facebook:
                          http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zygor-...04933799556988

Follow Zygor Guides on Twitter:
                          http://twitter.com/zygorguides

Comment

I am using Bit Defender, but I tried disabling it and it didn't work. Also, I can't install any lower than Microsoft Framework 3.5, since it comes as part of the OS. I even disabled all pre-installed .NET Framework and tried installing the 2.0, but was still told, "This is already installed as part of your operating system".

EDIT: Whoah, whoah, whoah, hold the phone. I disabled every aspect of Bit Defender rather than just the core antivirus and it works! Final desperate attempt succeeded. Whoo!

All it took was disabling all components of my anti-virus while I updated.

Comment

Reading all this hassle makes me love my Mac even more.
                              "The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas."

Comment

Working...
                              X