OR

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The guide for Shadowlands is a disaster. We progress more slowly, not more quickly.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The guide for Shadowlands is a disaster. We progress more slowly, not more quickly.

I am posting something I wrote in Discord

When leveling with friends during WoW launch yesterday, I noticed that I was leveling at a much slower pace than my friends . It turns out that they were doing main quest-lines only, while I was following the Zygor guide, which meant that I was doing all sidequests in zones as well.

What I have learned as a result is that the main quest line was designed by the WoW devs to naturally bring you to level 60. The main quest line does not "skip" quests in any way. It just doesn't do those that are not directly useful for lore purposes.

The effect of following the Zygor guide is unfortunate. If you follow it, you will hit Level 60 by the second or third zone. And you will have ahead of you another 20 to 30 hours of questing, which, at level 60, will give you no discernable rewards. You won't get "better" gear that helps you in the weeks leading up to Mythic+ or Raids+. You won't get reputation that helps you do the next month of content more efficiently. It gives no rewards that we can tell, period.

By following only the main story quest line, and as a result, naturally getting 60 , you can focus on the things that are "important". By that, I mean:

- Finishing main story line
    - Getting Covenant
    - Doing first week of renown
    - Doing 3 difficulties of Torghast wings
    - Doing professions

My opinion is that these things are much more important than doing all side quests, because sidequests at this present moment gives us no discernable advantages. The reputation doesn't help us. The items from quests do not help us. Don't get me wrong, doing side quests and other superfluous content like treasure hunting and rare NPC hunting can be fun and a great way to pass time! It is obviously important to the role players as well.

But I think you would agree with me that asking a new player to do Loremaster of Azeroth (every single quest in the game) when they are trying to level to max level is not only misleading, but it is extremely inefficient, and wrong.

This is what is currently happening with Zygor. It is making us do Loremaster of Shadowlands, when there is no need to do so. It hurts the new player instead of helps them. We are better off not using Zygor upon entering Shadowlands for the first time, than using it and doing all side quests exhaustively. And to me, that is counter-intuitive, because I pay hard-earned money for the guide (which is especially important to me during the pandemic). Zygor usually helps me be more efficient. And this is the first time that I'm aware of where Zygor has made me less so.

Zygor needs a "Shadowlands Main Quest" guide, and should be encouraging new players to do it before doing loremaster. Until flying, or some other thing forces us to be exalted with every faction, I presently do not see how doing all side quests is relevant in any way, except to progress pass zones that are gated by level.

In the main copy of your website, you state "Zygor Guides are the best and fastest way to level your characters in World of Warcraft and accomplish more in less time.". I am asking you to live up to that promise, as soon as possible.

I hope you are wrong and Zygor replies. I am going to pay almost as much as I do for WOW -- for this guide. All of the information is on youtube. But I figured $120 a year (10 a month) is ok if it saves me time. I purchased this only for shadowlands and there is no clear path. I am going to make a new thread and ask about it there. But it is not fair for me to critique this guide yet as I've been using it less than 24 hours.

Comment

We will be creating story-only leveling guides, as an option, after we run through the current leveling guides to fix any issues.
      Become a Fan of Zygor Guides on Facebook:
      http://www.facebook.com/zygorguides

Follow Zygor Guides on Twitter:
      http://twitter.com/zygorguides

Comment

I also am disappointed in the design of the guides for this expansion. By the time we have an actual leveling guide most of us will already have leveled to max. Even though I have put in nearly double the time of my friends, they are keeping pace with me in the story and are nearly the same level. The story quests clearly have much larger XP rewards and were intended as the primary leveling experience with some side quests sprinkled in.

The XP changes to beta, while occurring multiple times, have been in place for at least a couple weeks and were reported by all major WoW news channels and YouTube personalities.

Comment

I came on for this exact same reason, rather than getting to 60 via campaign only I have done all side quests and still forced to "level" at 60 doing campaign, why this wasn't an option to begin with. Cancelling Zygor and using azeroth auto pilot which is free.

Comment

Zygor,
            You really dropped the ball on this. I have been using your guides for some time now and this is a big miss. Very disappointed. You need to change the name on the title inside the guide to something other than Maine quest line. This is clearly misleading to customers. As stated by others above the shadowlands main quest line is way worse than the one wow offers in game. There are also several quests and flight points that are just not there.

Comment

I was actually coming here to see if there was a way to do campaign only. Following the guide had me ding halfway through Ardenweald, and now I just want to do the campaign stuff and be done with this so I can start the end game stuff. But I still have all of this questing to do. Disappointed to see this wasn't thought about and addressed beforehand.

Comment

So disappointment in these guides. its like I'm spending money to take longer to level, for a guide company this is unacceptable to be profiting from.

Comment

the guide is good for completionists but yes you out level fast. I just finished bastion zone and i have half way to lvl 56

Comment

I see they have added Story mode only today. Will try them out .

Comment

The "(Story Only" leveling guides are now released. Please update your guides. The Bastion (Story Only) guide has been played through and polished, so should work without any issues. The other 3 zone guides are in a beta state, and will be played through and polished, to fix any small issues, over the next 1-2 days.
                      Become a Fan of Zygor Guides on Facebook:
                      http://www.facebook.com/zygorguides

Follow Zygor Guides on Twitter:
                      http://twitter.com/zygorguides

Comment

Working...
                      X