Many Errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many Errors

With versions 8.0.1 and 8.0.2 of BugGrabber and it's inclusion of "LUA_WARNING" grabbing , Zygor has been giving several errors.

here's a screenshot of the list of the initial character load errors.
    WoWScrnShot_072318_094742.jpg

the details for the errors all show the same:
    1x Error loading <LUA FILE>

You can ignore them for now. It's Blizzard deciding to give an error for something that isn't an error. We're checking into ways to suppress that so you don't see it.
    Become a Fan of Zygor Guides on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zygor-...04933799556988

Follow Zygor Guides on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/zygorguides

Comment

ok, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Zygor Support View Post
        You can ignore them for now. It's Blizzard deciding to give an error for something that isn't an error. We're checking into ways to suppress that so you don't see it.
        Any updates on this yet? Thanks!

Comment

Actually, these are real errors

The errors are real errors, not something being made up. There are two things which are causing this.

The first one, is the Viewer is attempting to load every language that is specified in the ZygorGuidesViewer\Localization\Localization.xml . None of these items exist with the distribution, and your language selection inside the downloaded does nothing.

<Script file="Guides_Leveling_deDE.lua"/>
          <Script file="Guides_Leveling_esES.lua"/>
          <Script file="Guides_Leveling_frFR.lua"/>
          <Script file="Guides_Leveling_ptBR.lua"/>
          <Script file="Guides_Leveling_ruRU.lua"/>
          <Script file="Guides_Leveling_zhCN.lua"/>

Additionally, there are a tonne of _MASTER.lua files that the viewer is trying to load, none of which are included with the AddOn. Just crack open ZygorGuidesViewer\Guides\Autoload.xml , and you can see them.

You can eliminate all but 1 error by

1. commenting out any file referenced that is not in your language in ZygorGuidesViewer\Localization\Localization.xml
          2. commenting out any file that ends in _MASTER.lua, in ZygorGuidesViewer\Localization\Localization.xml . There is inconsistancy in the case utilization so it appears as _Master.lua or _master.lua in places.

Not really sure what they are "looking into", as the errors are pretty clear as to the source of the problems. Files are absent that are trying to be loaded. IMHO, this addon should not even install languages other than the local of your World of Warcraft copy, nor should it attempt to load "MASTER" files (which i presume are available to Zygor developers only).

To Zygor devs, since you unpack the addon, you can patch for this in your Java client we are all forced to use. Just have it make the necessary modifications to those files so that ONLY the current locale is installed, and all references to load "MASTER" guides are stripped out. You can use the Java XML reader/writer for these tasks, or you can remove them using a regex pattern. Either will be fine, and will take a few minutes. As an aside, it would be super cool to NOT be required to install Java in order to use the guides. You can download files in other languages like .NET that do not require additional holes in the system.
          Last edited by myrddinwylt; July 30, 2018, 08:07 AM.

Comment

A workaround to this until Zygor fixes permanently.

Since I am impatient, I have written a small C# program you can grab from here : https://gist.github.com/microvb/74af...e1e3deec568421

What this does, is strip out all the junk references as follows :

* Reference to Trial guides
            * Reference to Dev / Master files. We never see these in distribution so their reference will always create errors (as it has always done)
            * References to files/scripts/etc that do not exist.
            * References to scripts not in the same Locale as World of Warcraft

It should automatically detect your World of Warcraft installation path, and World of Warcraft locale.

Any file modified, there will be a backup made in the format of script-<UTCDate>.bak so you can roll back any changes made.

Files that are modified with this are as follows :

- ZygorGuidesViewer\files.xml
            - ZygorGuidesViewer\Localization\Localization.xml
            - ZygorGuidesViewer\Guides\Autoload.xml

@Zygor Devs - Please be more careful in distributions so there are no DEV references or references to files that do not exist. I noticed a lot of "MASTER" and "DEV" (not case sensitive) references to load files that are not part of the distribution.

Comment

Much as I appreciate the script, I daresay I am not alone in that I have no way to compile and run it.

Would likewise appreciate an update, since I pay for this addon's support and I'm not really keen on errors.

Comment

Originally posted by cheekitty View Post
                Much as I appreciate the script, I daresay I am not alone in that I have no way to compile and run it.

Would likewise appreciate an update, since I pay for this addon's support and I'm not really keen on errors.
                I provided the source code given the distrust (rightfully so) of random people linking to exe's for download which contain viruses or other malicious content. It also allows the community to contribute / modify it to fit their purpose.

HOW TO USE

* Download and install Visual Studio for free ( Community Edition )
                * Follow the directions on how to make a Console Application (at step 6, use this code instead of the example provided by Microsoft)

The application will flash a console window quickly as I didn't put any pauses in it to keep the window open. At this point, the job has been done. You can save the project and open and run it later for as long as this problem persists with the Addon.

MUMBO JUMBO

I understand that not everyone is a programmer, nor are they familiar with how to run code like what was supplied. Unfortunately, the majority are also distrusting when it comes to others supplying them with programs to address a particular need/concern.

After talking with support, I do not believe the issue will be cleared up, but more masked as the developers use the same plugin while making the guides, but strip out all the developer guides on publish. Unfortunately, they do not strip out the references to these guides or check if all the files referenced exist in the end project. This is why you are recieving those errors. I started fixing a few by hand, but noticed that there were literally hundreds of references to files that don't exist - which is a job for a script, because editing those by hand, every time anotehr guide is released, or a minor patch is made to Zygor, would be painful and very time consuming.

Just to note, the issue has always been there, however with the release of warcraft patch 8.0.1, this introduced more strict requirements regarding referencing files - in that they must exist. Previous patches recognized this as a trivial error and thus it was easily suppressed from nagging you. While I don't agree with many of the changes Blizzard does to their API, this one makes sense as it is sloppy to make references to things that don't exist. Since Blizzards version of LUA doesn't have access to your file system, there isn't a way for the addon to check if the files are all there, so this is rightfully a task of distribution to cleanup before releasing.

Hopefully this helps
                Last edited by myrddinwylt; July 30, 2018, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X