• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Rift worth trying out?

From Trion:
    RIFT and Add-ons

Hi, All-

There have been a lot of questions about Rift and the use of Add-ons. We'd like to clear up where we stand on this issue.

There is a lot of confusion surrounding our position on Addons and other types of UI modifications, so it is not at all surprising that a reasonable person would think that we are universally against them.

It's true that RIFT at launch does not have any API support for addons. The reason that we have chosen to go this route is the same as we publicly described when we unveiled the game in early 2010.

Whenever we consider adding a new feature to RIFT, we first and foremost want to make sure that we ship and support it at high quality. That's the primary yardstick we use. If we can't, we will tend to hold off until we can.

Supporting Addons, Skinning, and other UI Modifications in a way that is of sufficiently high quality, stability, and in a way that does not allow for the creation of automated play (e.g. bots, which are inherently a negative to the overall experience) was not a task that we could afford to take lightly. Instead, we chose to provide a robust, attractive UI that players could customize in many ways.

As we work toward the future of RIFT, we will be looking to provide new ways for users to customize their experience, through more customizations and possibly all the way through addons and skinning -- To us, the issue is primarily one of providing all features at the proper quality that RIFT players deserve.
    I'm Rebur, Tadia, or Judianna most games.
    Twitter @Chaos5061.
    Translations are done with Google Translate.

Heh, if they were smart, they'd allow addons but require them to be in xml format like Blizzard does. Xml is quite nifty but it still limited.

Comment

Is Rift worth trying out?

I was wondering about trying out Rift just to see how it is etc. However, before I commit 60 dollars to the game (I plan on if I do get it the collectors edition) I wanted to know more about it, from what I have seen so far it doesn't seem to bad. However from one person who has tried it out he later on said that it isn't as good as he thought.

As a player I am more of a lore, pve quester if that makes sense. I am not into dungeons or raids much, unless I know the people I am with or I have found a good team. I am also not much of a fan of PvP. I know there are no guides well ones that maybe worth getting and I was also told that one really doesn't need one playing Rift. So I am not even going to ask about that, just rather or not it would be worth spending the money on it, with the fact that I am more of a quester then a raider? As well as I am more of a PvEer and not a PvPer.

Comment

Friend of mine has switched to Rift and is not going back http://www.youtube.com/user/flymolo
        QQ

The CIA deliberately spread misinformation that tin-foil hats prevent mind control.
        The horrible truth is, that tinfoil hats enable mind control.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

I have played Rift. It is definitely an interesting concept game, and they do some things pretty nicely. Lots of times if you go to where a rift is to help close it the game will automatically throw you into a group/raid with the others that are there which is very beneficial for survival. Normally closing a rift is a short process at which point you can leave the group/raid if you want or the whole team can go after another rift. The questing path is pretty linear so there's no real need for a guide. Quest objectives/area will show on your map. Overall I'd say the game has been implemented well with some unique concepts.

That said, I don't play it right now because it was still too much of a WoW clone. You can move the UI elements around but it's basically the same WoW interface styling. Maybe after they allow addons and there are some UI modifications created I could play it without constantly thinking about WoW.

My best advice would be to hold off on purchasing it right now. They often send out emails with keys to give to friends for a free trial weekend. Keep your eye in the Off Topic section here as there have been people posting these keys. Try the game for free first to see if you like it before investing that amount of money. Since it's still an infant game the longer you wait to purchase the better polished it will be.
          My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Cabby nailed it.
            I am CDO. This is a lot like OCD, except the letters are in alphabetical order... as they should be.

Comment

Ok thank you I will keep my eyes out for the keys here. As for waiting yeah I did the same with WoW when it first came out of course with WoW it was harder to find a retail copy as when we had money it was sold out and when we didn't have the money it was there. But that really isn't an issue with this game yet.

Anyways thank you for the advice.

Comment

Usually do the keys on the weekend. Last time they gave out a free 1,000 use key on their twitter feed. Here is a link to where I will be posting them when I get them if you want one: http://www.zygorguides.com/forum/sho...d-monday-night.

But make sure you use it quick because even the 1,000 use key I've heard said went through in about 3-5 hours.
                Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

Yeah, the last weekend when they did the free keys was April 8-11. If I get another email with a key in it for the next time they do this I'll post in the same thread Chaos linked. Since it was just a week ago that they did this I'd say they'll probably do the next one in another 2-3 weeks maybe.
                  My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Well I was able too recently try out the Rift with the trial they now have. Although I updated I am having 2nd thoughts, as after playing it a bit more, I am finding I like WoW, EQ or other games better. As for Zygor not wanting to make a guide for this game, I understand where he is coming from even if they did allow addons I am not sure if one is totally needed.

I have to say though that the story line and from what I seen of Rift so far, isn't that bad just what I am not happy with is, that the game does seem to be well harder on a altholic like myself, yes one can solo similar to WoW but I found that the guardains are bit easier then the Defeant starting or noob zone. It also seems to be more depression then even the zones that are dark and gloomy in WoW are. Not saying that things need to be rosey and sunny but still coming in as the world ends is somewhat sad.

Comment

Yeah the starting area is a bit of a downer. The Defiant one even more so than the Guardian one. But I start feeling better when I get past it. Defiant's go back in time to make sure it never happens and Guardians seem to go forward or something like that I never could tell. The alt problem is because of how they made rolls. You only ever need to make 4 characters. Rogue, Mage, Warrior, and Cleric. You create those four and then you learn all of your souls and then you buy more roles. You can have up to 5 rolls now so you can be pretty much anything. You can have 1 tank role, 1 DPS role, 1 Healer role, 1 Support role, and 1 PvP role or any combination if you like the others more.
                      Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

Ah I didn't know about the role thingy, I tried out both sides, I have noticed though like I said or I think I said the Guardains starting area does seem to be easier (as in less deaths etc) the defiant seems harder but still. Like you said though it does seem to get better after you get out of that starting area. I have found that if you grind to a certain lvl or as much as you can it can make your experince better. I did this on the defiant side after two characters both of the others were warriors and the third was a warrior as well, that I did not die as much as the first two. In fact the third character only died 1 compared to 20 and 15 for the other two.

I guess what was a little bit frusating for me, is yes death is something that will happen but normaly not at such a low level, if that makes sense. But then again this is a new game for me, so oh well.

Comment

Have you tried adding a pet to you spec? May want to try the Beastmaster class for Warriors.
                          Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

Also you may want to have a go at build a spec before you get in the game try here: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html it also has a list of top builds that you can look through for ideas.
                            Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

You download the trial at riftgame.com or http://eu.riftgame.com/en/ for Europeans.

I REALLY like the souls system, which blows the one in WoW out of the water - wastly superior!

What I don't like, is the inability to customize the UI, which is little better than the default in WoW. I also dislike the "feeling" of the game - it's rather baleful.
                              QQ

The CIA deliberately spread misinformation that tin-foil hats prevent mind control.
                              The horrible truth is, that tinfoil hats enable mind control.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Working...
                              X