This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by badhabit12 View Post
    If your customer base was expanding with new customers you would never put such a subscription policy in to effect.

In MHO this is not a policy that has the ability to survive long term. Rather is your reaction to market forces out side your control.

A world wide recession / depression, that has reduced your customer base. And the inevitable maturing of WOW and new and better competitors on the near horizon. Faced with this what else could you do but try to maximize profits short term for all its worth and ride it as long as you can before the entire structure folds.

The Achilles' heel to this pricing move is the internet it self. There is so much free information out there about WOW that its inevitable people will take advantage of it and try and save their hard earned money.

I wish you the best but I must decline the new pricing policy.

Best of Luck

I have to agree. Blizz has always said WoW will only have a life of 5 Expansions. 3 down, 2 left – so about maybe 4 years left to the game.

My opinion is that the game will not last 4 more years, and the next expansion will probably be the last. The Hey Day of WoW has past. There are far more detailed games out on the market. And the game is increasingly full of 12yo more interested in talking smack than playing the game – to the dismay of older players. Subscriptions are falling off in larger and larger numbers.

Blizz has also made no secret of the fact they are well and truly full steam ahead for the WoW replacement game. A game we have been told will be nothing like WoW.

As for Zygor, the Subscription idea makes good business sense. Once signed up, who would miss $6 a month off their creditcard?? Easy money.

As for us customers, I really cant see value for money in it. Especially for long term customers like me. The 6 new guides are really quite silly, as most longtime players of the game would have most of this done and are doing PVP and Raids…..none of which Zygor is much help for.

Me, as I have said in previous posts, I only use the levelling aspect of the guides. I have numerous 85s which do PVP and Raiding, and when bored I might play with a few lowbie toons I have – this being the only time the guide is turned on. Thus the once or twice a month when I do use the guide is certainly not worth a monthly subscription for.

Comment

I am not 100% sure about this change. I won't make my choice until I get all the information, and see how it rides out. Right now I may or may not like it, but who knows maybe in a week or month that may change.

Many users want one lump fee. A year's sub of Zygor, just one faction, is $71.88. For both it's $95.88 a year. This includes the leveling guide, the events and dailies, and the new guides. To buy all the guides the old way, both factions was what $130... that's $10.83 a month for 1 year. Only issue I see with this is that these guides are good for an entire expansion, which is about 2 years. So for the sub you would be paying $191.76 for both or $143.75 for one faction to have them the entire expansion. When $130 use to net you all the guides. Now are the new guides worth $60? We don't know. We haven't seen them. Maybe some kind of details about those might be nice and would help make a better decision.

As a suggestion for this, a way to meet the customers that want to own a "hard" copy is to do a rent to own. If they keep a sub for a year (or pay 12 months of sub) they get a "hard" copy of the guides for the factions they have been paying for. Even if it is just the Leveling and Dailies & Events that have this option. For users that want one lump sum. Have 12-month subs plan. Then they have bought the guide.

The old way, for one faction, customer would pay $75 for Leveling and Dailies & Events. At $5.99 a month you would make $71.88 for a year's worth of sub. So really it's not that much difference in price.

Just a thought anyways.

Comment

To me the 6 new guides is not worth the monthly subscription and I will not be setting one up. I understand that you keep trying to justify the monthly subscription by saying you will get all the guides and upgrades but what you are lacking to understand.....

PEOPLE ONLY BUY WHAT THEY WANT AND WILL USE!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't use 4 or 5 of those guides so why spend the money on it? I might have bought 1 guide...maybe even 2 if I got a wild hair up my butt....but if you honestly think that even one of those guides is as complex as the leveling guide you got to be out of your mind to price it as such. Most of those guides I might have paid $15 or $20 bucks for MAX!

Sorry Zygor....you have great guides but this whole subscription service has rubbed me the wrong way. I will not be participating in it. I will continue to use what I have bought and will probably purchase the upgrade for my guides when new content is released (Least you did one thing right for your customers)

I wish you the best in your company though in my opinion it seems to be headed in the wrong direction. I hope you reconsider and listen to you loyal customer base.

Comment

Alright I can accept the subscription fee idea now lol, thank you for keeping to your word to the lifetime subscribers and I'm sure me and many many other people are happy to hear this lol!

Comment

Any other option?

Originally posted by Zygor View Post
            If you owned the Leveling or Dailies guides before subscriptions were introduced, you will be able to Upgrade those for a one-time fee - yes. If you would like any of the other products, you would need to subscribe. Fair? :-)
            Although I realize that you are trying to be fair since some people would rather have a subscription all in one ... I am afraid that it going to hurt my ability to be able to continue. I've bought all that Zygor has to offer for Horde and Alliance over the years, and I've suggested it to others as well that I know have purchased.

My problem is that I can guarantee that I'll have money at a certain time to buy new guides, but I can't do a subscription most of the time because I don't know if I'll still have money each month. Everything seems to want a subscription for monthly or quarterly or yearly fees now ... web site services, emails, games, and now game guides. {Sighs}

If you guys could come up with something for those of us that just can't afford another amount of money added to our every month take out, it would be sincerely appreciated.

I've been wanting an achievement guide for a long time. The titles, reputation, and pets & Mounts guides all look like they will be great ones too. I just can't afford another "monthly" bill. Your prices to purchase things as a whole were always reasonable. I hope that you will be able to come up with some dollar amount system to purchase them outright like your past ones.

Perhaps a two-tiered system since you will already have one in place for pre-subscription times? That way those of us that just can't afford the monthly could purchase outright.

~Beth73, a sad long time Zygor customer who doesn't want to miss out

Comment

Jazerra asked: will there be an option to buy the new guides without an monthly fee?

Originally posted by silverhawk11 View Post
              Unfortunately, no.
              well...that completely answers the only question I had. Unfortunately, its the answer I didnt want to see.

When describing Zygors to friends/guild mates, I always used the "you just pay a one time fee, and you get lifetime updates/support for it! No catches! Its really that simple!"

Oh well... I'm really disappointed.
              Hasc - Titans of Glory
              Runetotem - Alliance
              http://www.theoldergamers.com
              http://www.lesrobertson.com

Comment

Question! I have the alliance leveling and dailies guides already...and of course, I assume I will still be able to get updates for them once the sub plan comes out. However, I was thinking of getting the horde leveling guide. When the expansion comes out, since it will be after your sub plan release, will I be able to purchase the Horde guides for the one time fee like I can now? AND will I able to get updates for them too?

Comment

Thank you for this information Zygor, this is the way the first announcement should have been in the first place, not some silly teaser that tells you no real information and makes customers upset. I think I can live with the $5 a month for my alliance toons.

Comment

Pricing model suggestion

Zygor,

Now that you've established a monthly fee of (in my case) $8, is it possible to set up a three and six month plan? Blizz does this rather effectively at:

15/a month (14.99/total 179.88)
                    42 for 3 months (13.99 or 41.97/total 167.88)
                    78 for 6 months (12.99 or 77.94/total 155.88)

You can bill monthly, quarterly, or biannually:

8/month (7.99/total 95.88)
                    21 for 3 months (6.99 or 20.97/total 83.88)
                    36 for 6 months (5.99 or 35.94/total 71.88) (based on both factions).

Or:

6/month (5.99/total 71.88)
                    15/3 months (4.99 or 14.97/total 59.88)
                    24/6 months (3.99 or 23.94/total 47.88) (for one faction).

Just something to think about... I added the amounts to pay per plan based on the successful Blizz model for reference. I could do any of these myself, but this gives others a chance to look at it and think it over. It also looks good from a budgeting standpoint.
                    Last edited by wowvern; September 27, 2011, 11:32 PM. Reason: Pricing models for Zygor Guides Subscription rates
                    My avatar is an actual photo of me. Nice or ugly?

Comment

There's been no mention of the expansion upgrade fee for those of us that remain with the pay-once product. Will it remain where it is, or will that be increasing?

As long as the upgrade fee is reasonable, I'll stick with what I have. Otherwise my guildies that do beta's can help me through 5 levels. The other guides, well ... as others have said, that information is available other places for free.

Comment

So you want me to pay $72 for the year and I get 6 new guides and someone else pays $72 and gets the 6 new guides PLUS the ones I already own? Oh, that sounds fair. And what about next year when there's no major expansion/upgrade and no new guides, because let's face it... how many more guides can you make? What will my $72 dollars be going for then? "Free" updates? Sorry to tell you but if I'm paying they aren't free! And then, if I choose not to pay I lose access?

I love your guides and they are worth the money as a one-time purchase but to ask me to repeatedly throw you money every month... it isn't going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by mjswdr View Post
                          Question! I have the alliance leveling and dailies guides already...and of course, I assume I will still be able to get updates for them once the sub plan comes out. However, I was thinking of getting the horde leveling guide. When the expansion comes out, since it will be after your sub plan release, will I be able to purchase the Horde guides for the one time fee like I can now? AND will I able to get updates for them too?
                          The way I understand what Zygor posted is that you would have to pay the subscription for any guides you don't currently own. That would mean that there wouldn't be an option to purchase the Horde leveling guides, just the subscription option.
                          My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

so lets just say that out of the up to 12 million players of wow zygor has 10 thousand customers do they realy believe the new stuff is worth them making $60k a month? sounds more like a way to make some serious cash with below par material already easily found for free online.

Comment

Exchange rates

Its all very well saying that there will be a monthly charge but for people that don't live in the EU and earn Euro's this is going to be a huge problem. When I buy a guide from your site I have to take into account that I am paying 9x more in my currency.

I am sure I am not the only South African to be using your guides and this monthly charge is going to affect us badly. I will have to use whats available and then eventually after upgrades be left in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by tedebearnc View Post
                                So you want me to pay $72 for the year and I get 6 new guides and someone else pays $72 and gets the 6 new guides PLUS the ones I already own? Oh, that sounds fair. And what about next year when there's no major expansion/upgrade and no new guides, because let's face it... how many more guides can you make? What will my $72 dollars be going for then? "Free" updates? Sorry to tell you but if I'm paying they aren't free! And then, if I choose not to pay I lose access?

I love your guides and they are worth the money as a one-time purchase but to ask me to repeatedly throw you money every month... it isn't going to happen.
                                I think it has been mentioned that with WoW changing, the way we have to level has to change as well. Zygor has looked at the options available and I, for one, agree with his decision. This will force everyone to look at their budgets (and priorities) differently, I realize, and change isn't easy. However, given time, I think that this will be a smart move in the long run.
                                My avatar is an actual photo of me. Nice or ugly?

Comment

Working...
                                X