Guide Window Redesign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guide Window Redesign

The guide window, from my perspective, seems a bit sparse, which is great for getting information and fits in well with certain UIs. But I wanted to come up with a guide that aesthetically had a greater impact, while also providing some additional functionality, such as being able to see upcoming steps.

I will continue to update this thread with new versions and reworks based on feedback and progress. Feedback is always appreciated!

Version 1.1:
    Zygor Guides Addon Mockup v2.jpg

Version 1.0:
    Zygor Guides Addon Mockup.jpg
    Last edited by dekkdiu; July 30, 2012, 04:48 PM. Reason: Updated with Version 1.1

Looks good but I miss the title line with the guide name.

About showing additional steps, you can already configure the guide to show the upcoming steps.

Also having the waypoint arrow in the guide viewer may not be optimal for everyone. For example if you have the guide window at the corner of the screen you easily overlook the arrow.
    In general putting controls at the bottom of the guide window causes problems as the window dynamically changes the height if a step has more or less text. This will cause the waypoint arrow to not be in a fixed position on the screen.

But if you put everything at the top of the window and show the guide name you are close to the original design except some optical changes.
    One thing I still miss at the original guide windows is the ability to use the step number as a text field to jump to a specific step.

Comment

I thought about it some more, and agree, the waypoint being separate is pretty important and practically, it's a difficult thing to integrate. I reworked the Micro View a little bit, and conceptually wanted to try a different Main View, in which each table cell is part of one step. Thoughts?

Comment

I like the clean look and colors and unless it implements new functionality (text field to enter step number, controls sliding out to left and right in micro mode) it may be possible to do this as a skin for the current guide viewer.

But I'd wait for the MoP guide viewer update before trying to implement this as it's possible that the guide gets a redesign as most new major versions.

Comment

Working...
        X