Zygor or Dugi Guide? My thoughts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zygor or Dugi Guide? My thoughts.

I was going to post this in the testimonials section, but ultimately decided it wasn't as much of a testimonial as it was a comparison and suggestion...

To clear confusion up front - I do have guides from both creators (Zygor and Dugi); from Zygor I have Leveling and the Professions guides, and from Dugi I have the Professions guide.

So my comparison is from my experience with their Professions guides.

To put it bluntly, Zygor crushes Dugi's guide, hands down.

The meat n' potatoes: Dugi has an excellent flight path for farming, but that's kind of where the excellence ends; the guide itself is good as a reference tool, but it doesn't really "guide" you (that is, it's not as intelligent as Zygor's guide). Because Dugi's is as limited as it is, there isn't a great deal of difference in playing WoW in windowed mode, and having a separate window shrunk down and opened to the wow-professions website, and clicking back and forth, using that as a reference tool; it seems Dugi simply implemented something like this into an in-game add-on; which would be amazing...if it were free.

What attracted me to Dugi's guide? The price. It's $20 (which, I think Zygor could take a page out of Dugi's book on this one ($35 for Zygor's)).

One (minor) thing to note about Dugi's guide, which caught my attention from the get-go; it was superb at ticking off waypoints when I got to them. For some reason, Zygor's guide sometimes has some trouble with this - and it drives me crazy; but it's a quick fix with a manual click, so I move on. As I said, it's minor.

Dugi's guide also doesn't track the way Zygor's guide does; although it does list things in the order in which they're needed to progress in level - I had to figure out what I needed for my current level, and farm from there; it will tell you how many of what you need to move on, but it doesn't track how many you've picked up - so you'll have to keep count (at least mine didn't - maybe it was bugged, maybe it wasn't); again, because I paid for it, I want it to track this stuff for me so I can keep my leveling time to a minimum (and rightly so). Whereas Zygor's guide will sort this for me.

It's also a bit frustrating to get going with Dugi's guide - lots of clicking and trying to figure out which part of the guide you need (it's very generalized); Zygor's guide checks it for you and sets itself accordingly so you can get on with it.

There is one thing I do find curious with both guides...

They either don't support other add-ons, or the add-ons they do support are very specific. What I mean is that neither guide communicates with the add-on I use to tell me what items I don't need because I have them in my bank. So if I have a large stock of, say, Iron Ore, in my bank (and I just don't remember that I have it), both guides will let me think I still need 50 Iron Ore (for example) to complete a certain step, when I already have the Ores in my bank.

Again, maybe they do support this, and I'm just unaware of the add-on that is required for it. If so, that's a really awesome (and extremely useful) feature.

In the end, I loved Dugi's price - but the guide just required too much attention from me to justify paying for it; I really am sorry I wasted my money there.

For Zygor's guide, I think this is probably about as good as it gets (for now) and still has room for improvement (which they're constantly doing, as I understand it); the greatest drawback is it's price (I've already read the posts and reasons of why/how they price it)...for some reason I still can't help but think it could stand to come down a few bucks. But ultimately, I don't think I'll regret paying what I've paid for it, as it's already helped me immensely

If you decide to purchase a guide, my vote goes to Zygor's guide; don't waste your money (like I did) on someone else's.
Working...
X