Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most probably someone has already considered this approach but just in case, here's a half baked idea.

Seperate the current guide into two parts.

Part one is the content of the guide containing the series of steps, their instructions, waypoint coordinates etc... in some form of structured file. CSV text file, HTML, whatever.

Part two is the addon code to provide the existing functionality by reading the content from the file(s) in part one and displaying it in game.

The Addon could be circulated freely thus satisfying Blizzards requirements.
    The content would be available to subscribers only.

The downside is that anyone could produce a content file and use the Zygor addon to display it in game but perhaps there's some form of disclaimer you could add in to protect against that from commercial enterprises at least.

Anyway... it was just a thought.
    Last edited by howlindawg; April 1, 2009, 06:17 AM. Reason: Fixed typos

Comment

/\ This was one of the first suggestions we ourselves had in our brainstorming sessions. Unfortunately addons are not allowed to communicate or interact with anything outside of the game. Essentially they cannot open up a non addon file in game. We have come up with another solution however that we're pretty confident will allow us to continue with in game guides.
      Become a Fan of Zygor Guides on Facebook:
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zygor-...04933799556988

Follow Zygor Guides on Twitter:
      http://twitter.com/zygorguides

Comment

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/policy/ui.html

World of Warcraft User Interface Add-On Development Policy
        With the continuing popularity of World of Warcraft user interface add-ons (referred to hereafter as "add-ons") created by the community of players, Blizzard Entertainment has formalized design and distribution guidelines for add-ons. These guidelines have been put in place to ensure the integrity of World of Warcraft and to help promote an enjoyable gaming environment for all of our players - failure to abide by them may result in measures up to and including taking formal legal action.

1) Add-ons must be free of charge.
        All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create "premium" versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on.

2) Add-on code must be completely visible.
        The programming code of an add-on must in no way be hidden or obfuscated, and must be freely accessible to and viewable by the general public.

3) Add-ons must not negatively impact World of Warcraft realms or other players.
        Add-ons will perform no function which, in Blizzard Entertainment's sole discretion, negatively impacts the performance of the World of Warcraft realms or otherwise negatively affects the game for other players. For example, this includes but is not limited to excessive use of the chat system, unnecessary loading from the hard disk, and slow frame rates.

4) Add-ons may not include advertisements.
        Add-ons may not be used to advertise any goods or services.

5) Add-ons may not solicit donations.
        Add-ons may not include requests for donations. We recognize the immense amount of effort and resources that go into developing an add-on; however, such requests should be limited to the add-on website or distribution site and should not appear in the game.

6) Add-ons must not contain offensive or objectionable material.
        World of Warcraft has been given a "T" by the ESRB, and similar ratings from other ratings boards around the world. Blizzard Entertainment requires that add-ons not include any material that would not be allowed under these ratings.

7) Add-ons must abide by World of Warcraft ToU and EULA.
        All add-ons must follow the World of Warcraft Terms of Use and the World of Warcraft End User License Agreement.

8) Blizzard Entertainment has the right to disable add-on functionality as it sees fit.
        To maintain the integrity World of Warcraft and ensure the best possible gaming experience for our players, Blizzard Entertainment reserves the right to disable any add-on functionality within World of Warcraft at its sole discretion.
        Last edited by free1981; April 2, 2009, 05:39 AM.

Comment

HI

I was just wondering if this is going to affect me. I've just purchased Zygor's Guide (and haven't even downloaded the addon yet) and it sounds as if Blizzard are deffinately cracking down buying addon content. Have I just wasted £40?

Thanks for your time.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by reylas View Post
            I was just wondering if this is going to affect me. I've just purchased Zygor's Guide (and haven't even downloaded the addon yet) and it sounds as if Blizzard are deffinately cracking down buying addon content. Have I just wasted £40?

Thanks for your time.

Rob
            Nope you havnt, first of all Zygors guide isnt banned yet, second it seems that Zygor team maybe not yet have an option, but very soon will it seems. dunno what they keep it secret so far

Regards
            -Jerro-
            For glory, for honour, for victory! For the Alliance!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerro View Post
              Nope you havnt, first of all Zygors guide isnt banned yet, second it seems that Zygor team maybe not yet have an option, but very soon will it seems. dunno what they keep it secret so far

Regards
              -Jerro-
              Phew - I umm and arred about getting it for ages. Already have an 80 char but need a priest for Guild Reasons.

Thanks for you reply btw =)

Comment

Here’s the thing.
                Blizzard is Jealous of zygor plain and simple.

JK
                I wanted to comment on the, “if it’s free someone can simply download the file”
                News flash people already do this...HOWEVER;
                Most people do it via torrents and if you’re familiar with torrents chances are you’re also familiar with getting a shyt load of viruses and spy ware. I personally can’t stand pirates and anytime I know a pirate gets a virus I imagine somewhere in heaven another angle has gotten his wings. Software piracy is a problem at every level and regardless of what zygor does I’m sure they will have to deal with THAT to some degree.

As for the rest of us, well let’s just say there is power in words.
                Zygor team why not place a link here in the site and perhaps send an email out to your subscribers with the link that references the Blizzard help/ contact us team and have people write in their comments. IF enough people complain that the idea sucks blizzard just MIGHT step back.

If it works in politics it might just work on blizzard.
                http://www.nomorenoob.com - For your warrior needs
                http://world-of-warcraft-help-guide.blogspot.com - for the rest of your needs.

Comment

Blackthought has a point in principle,

If they are going to ban add-ons why not ask subscribers to contact blizzard with a plea to allow zygor's guides to still be sold and function in game, if enough users tell blizzard that we think the add-on actually enriches our gaming experience they might listen.

Alternatively if they get sick of receiving thousands of emails a day from irate zygor subscribers they may just give us what we want so their inbox's don't explode.

just my 2 cents

Comment

They aren't banning addons and they are unlikely to do so as Addons allow people to customize their gameplay.

From what I've heard, Carbonite crossed the line somehow and Blizzard had to riegn it in. As we all know, it only takes one Lemon to ruin it for everyone else.

Comment

I just got this guide i saw nothing on web site about rules changing at wow.
                      if i cant use this in a few weeks do i get my money back.I havent had a chance to use this much but from what i see i really like this guide i hope not to loose it.

Comment

Originally posted by eco111 View Post
                        I just got this guide i saw nothing on web site about rules changing at wow.
                        if i cant use this in a few weeks do i get my money back.I havent had a chance to use this much but from what i see i really like this guide i hope not to loose it.

You have nothing to worry about at all. We will offer another, very similar, alternative if we are no longer able to sell our guides as they are right now.

Closed.
                        Become a Fan of Zygor Guides on Facebook:
                        http://www.facebook.com/zygorguides

Follow Zygor Guides on Twitter:
                        http://twitter.com/zygorguides

Comment

Working...
                        X