Linux updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux updates

I have been playing WoW forever on Linux and the manual download and unzip method worked fine until recently.

Usually a simple `unzip -o ZygorGuides-7.0.19983.zip -d /opt/WoW/_retail_/Interface/AddOns` would work nicely, but recently (the past 2 or 3 updates), the in-game Interface tells me that my Zygor guides viewer needs to be updated (immediately after my unzip).

I resorted to unzipping the guide to both /opt/WoW/Interface/AddOns and .../_retail_/Interface/AddOns which for some reason does not work.

I had to resort to adding a windows 10 installation to my machine and every time I want to play the game, I have to boot into windows just to update my Guide, which renders my machine useless during that time.

Is there any advice about what goes where so I can just put the stuff where they need to be? I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong (besides running Linux, of course, which never was a problem before).
    Rebooting my machine even once weekly is most undesirable and I hate the idea of paying good hard-earned money for the privilege of getting frustrated...

Okay, we have made some updates to our manual download this morning. Will you please try again and confirm the problem is still happening after our latest update we made to our manual downloads.Thank you.

Comment

Can I pick your brain a little?

How do you have everything setup to be able to play WoW on Linux? Is there a native client these days? Last I heard, people had to resort to using wine. The new client might be able to be built for Linux, but I personally do not have the linux knowledge or the means of testing it, so I never set it up. If it's straight forward enough, though, I might be able to just try it and it'll work.

Comment

Originally posted by Zygor Dev 6 View Post
        Can I pick your brain a little?

How do you have everything setup to be able to play WoW on Linux? Is there a native client these days? Last I heard, people had to resort to using wine. The new client might be able to be built for Linux, but I personally do not have the linux knowledge or the means of testing it, so I never set it up. If it's straight forward enough, though, I might be able to just try it and it'll work.
        Wine + lutris with DIVX and ESYNC enabled
        On my basic ryzen5 with GTX1050Ti I average between 60-100 FPS depending on where I am.

Unfortunately, the Zygor client doesn't play well with either my java or my wine and I am stuck with the "download by hand and unzip" method. I don't mind this too much, however it would make me terribly happy if I could speed this up with wget or curl.

I'll do another guide update and report back, shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by ZG Support 2 View Post
          Okay, we have made some updates to our manual download this morning. Will you please try again and confirm the problem is still happening after our latest update we made to our manual downloads.Thank you.
          ok I removed Zygor with a
          1) `find /WoW -type d -iname zygor\* -exec rm -rf {} \;`
          2) ran the game to make sure it is gone
          3) Downloaded the manual install file
          4) Installed the guide with `unzip ZygorGuides-7.0.19983.zip -d /WoW/_retail_/Interface/AddOns`
          5) Played without problems.
          Thanks much

Comment

Originally posted by treadmill View Post
            Wine + lutris with DIVX and ESYNC enabled
            On my basic ryzen5 with GTX1050Ti I average between 60-100 FPS depending on where I am.

Unfortunately, the Zygor client doesn't play well with either my java or my wine and I am stuck with the "download by hand and unzip" method. I don't mind this too much, however it would make me terribly happy if I could speed this up with wget or curl.

I'll do another guide update and report back, shortly.
            If you're willing to help me test a linux client (the new one, not Java), I'd love to put a build up in a development release channel for you to test out.

What's the default WoW installation directory for the typical linux setup? I see you have yours at /opt/WoW/. Is that normal? I'm used to seeing ~/.wine/drive_c for Wine stuff.
            What's the preferred target file type I should create for an installer? .deb?

Again, I lack a lot of linux knowledge, so pardon me if I'm asking some silly questions. I'd love to have Linux be finally natively supported though!

Comment

I'd be happy to help out.
              I know. It is because I am a Slackware user.
              My wine prefixes are under /opt/WINEPREFIX so my .../drive_c/.. is /opt/WINEPREFIX/wow/drive_c (wow) being my WoW prefix in /opt/WINEPREFIX. I am weird that way.
              Slackware also has no systemd or pam - I would recommend a .txz archive to keep things simple.

Well there isn't really any hope for a native linux World of Warcraft game client so anything windows that works transparently and seamlessly under wine would be great too.

Comment

Originally posted by treadmill View Post
                I'd be happy to help out.
                I know. It is because I am a Slackware user.
                My wine prefixes are under /opt/WINEPREFIX so my .../drive_c/.. is /opt/WINEPREFIX/wow/drive_c (wow) being my WoW prefix in /opt/WINEPREFIX. I am weird that way.
                Slackware also has no systemd or pam - I would recommend a .txz archive to keep things simple.

Well there isn't really any hope for a native linux World of Warcraft game client so anything windows that works transparently and seamlessly under wine would be great too.
                You mentioned that the java client didn't work well. Have you tried the new client for Windows via Wine? The only thing I think that might trip it up is the fact that it accesses the registry. If Wine handles that, it might work?

It looks like the only target I can use that would allow auto updates is AppImage. Is that not ideal? My hope would be that you could have a regular old linux client that could read/write your WoW directory, wherever you have it.

.txz is an option I can build with, but it would not allow the client to update itself. Maybe not a huge deal for linux users, but worth mentioning.

Comment

The Zygor_Setup_1.0.1.exe fails with dotnet errors, although my wine is dotnet4.x enabled (via winetricks).
                  When trying it earlier, the installer opened and showed an extraction bar and then disappeared off the screen. Trying it again, resulted in a crash dialog (Application could not be started)

The Java client complains that my java is outdated even immediately after a fresh download and install from oracle.
                  I use the java Minion from wowinterface.com to update my other WoW addons like "World Quest Tracker" and "World Quest Group Finder" very successfully and automatically.

rw permissions are not a problem.
                  And a normal .zip download is fine.

I am an old school linux user and prefer the traditional `configure -- && make && make install` method for installing gnu applications. or else prebuilt binaries in a .txz, .deb.rpm format which my system all understands. But this is only relevant to the Client installation.

I was unfamiliar with the AppImage tool and from what I glanced at, it does look promising in terms of distributing a client in a package that contains all dependencies.
                  A simple client that can fetch a .zip file and extract it a specified location is all that is needed.

For now, navigating to the web site and logging in to download the ZygorGuides*.zip file is an insignificant annoyance that I have lived with so far without the urge to complain. It was just when the game stopped seeing my newly unzipped guides that it became problematic.

Comment

Okay, so after messing around with it for a little bit, I've got an AppImage built and running in my Ubuntu VM. It seems that auto-updates work just fine, so that's pretty cool.

Things that don't work right now are the app icon (not important enough for me to waste time on right now), starting on startup (also not a big deal), and niceties such as being able to search for "Zygor" in the linux start-menu-esque window to find the app. All things that I can look into sometime else.

But for now, give it a shot, see if it works how you'd expect!
                    [Link redacted]

I left the default directory for WoW in ~/.wine, so you'll have to update the installation paths to reflect your customized setup, but that's about it.

Let me know if you end up running it and if you notice any issues.
                    Last edited by Zygor Dev 6; April 10, 2019, 02:32 PM.

Comment

It is great so far!
                      I downloaded it, made it executable, and logged in to configure it to add my game installation.
                      It updated the guides and gold info on both retail and PTR installations.
                      I am happy.

Here is my terminal output:
                      ./Zygor_4.1.12.AppImage
                      realPath called with a relative path './share/pixmaps/', please fix
                      realPath called with a relative path './share/icons/', please fix

(zygor:20395): libappindicator-WARNING **: Unable to get the session bus: Unknown or unsupported transport 'disabled' for address 'disabled:'

(zygor:20395): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Unable to get session bus: Unknown or unsupported transport 'disabled' for address 'disabled:'
                      Need to gzip existingFiles: []
                      Checking for update
                      Generated new staging user ID: 08a8cde1-9850-5443-af30-2a4d6daa8d18
                      Update for version 4.1.12 is not available (latest version: 4.1.12, downgrade is disallowed).
                      Checking for update
                      Update for version 4.1.12 is not available (latest version: 4.1.12, downgrade is disallowed).
                      Checking for update
                      Checking for update
                      Error creating proxy: Unknown or unsupported transport 'disabled' for address 'disabled:' (g-io-error-quark, 13)
                      Error creating proxy: Unknown or unsupported transport 'disabled' for address 'disabled:' (g-io-error-quark, 13)
                      Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
                      Checking for update
                      Checking for update
                      Checking for update

Comment

Just to add..
                        I run Fluxbox as my window manager, so I don't see the barf when I run it with fbrun or from the fluxbox menu and it works flawlessly so far.

Comment

Hi
                          I suddenly get this
                          zygor001.png
                          I haven't changed anything or moved any files around and I am afraid to try doing so.
                          Any help? Advice? please.

Comment

Use the gear icon to double check the installation settings to see if any of the settings there have changed.
                            Become a Fan of Zygor Guides on Facebook:
                            http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zygor-...04933799556988

Follow Zygor Guides on Twitter:
                            http://twitter.com/zygorguides

Comment

Greetings!

Just wanted to check if you're - hopefully - planning on providing an updated Appimage for Classic?

Comment

Working...
                              X