This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zygor’s Classic Guides Efficiency Update Coming Soon

Zygor’s World of Warcraft Classic guides released last week and for the most part the launch has gone smoothly. We were eager to see what the community thought about the guides and we’ve definitely heard your voices. While bugs and other issues have been minimal, there have been some concerns about the leveling routes taken in the guides, particularly when it comes to traveling to other zones.

In Vanilla WoW, leveling was always a much slower process, which made guides essential in order to speed things up. Over time, the Retail game changed and has seen a number of quality of life improvements to make the game easier and more friendly to a wider audience of gamers. As such, our own community has reflected this change, and over the years we’ve changed the style of our guide writing to cater more to these casual types of players.

During the World of Warcraft Classic beta, we started off by updating our original Vanilla guides to a modern format, but remembering how different the game was, and how much our community has changed, we were concerned these guides would not be appealing to our current community. For this reason we took extra steps to make the guides more friendly to all player types. One of these changes was instead of grinding as much we opted to travel to other zones to pick up even more quests. We also included additional quests in the lower levels so players would be much stronger in the higher levels when they had to face harder enemies.

It has become clear, however, that the audience for WoW Classic is different from the Retail game and these casual friendly improvements are considered hindrances by many users. Some have even felt that the guides were somehow rushed, or not optimized, even though we actually put more thought into them to try to make the experience in Classic feel closer to Retail. This was something we actually debated considerably in beta and was not a decision made lightly, but in the end, it was the wrong call.

So here’s what we’re doing to address these concerns. We still have the original Vanilla guides reworked to modern standards that we completed in beta. We’re going to re-apply the bug fixes we have found since launch, along with a few other minor touch ups, and then we’re going to replace the current guides with these. Additionally, we’re changing the formatting of our guide titles to use zone names rather than level ranges. Note, however, that Classic is indeed different in this respect from Retail, and you should not expect to be able to freely choose zones to quest in if you are not the appropriate level or have not done all the pre-requisite quest chains needed to unlock quests in a particular zone.

We’re calling this release the “Efficiency Update” and the complete Horde version should be available early next week. The Alliance version will be available roughly the following week.

We’re confident this update should address all the major concerns we’ve been hearing about since launch. As explained in this post, we genuinely aimed to provide the best experience to our users and simply misjudged the wants and expectations for these guides due to the very different player type most interested in WoW Classic. However, we hope you can see that we do listen to our community and are making the requested changes promptly.

– The Zygor Team

https://zygorguides.com/blog/zygors-...e-coming-soon/
    Zygor Guides Creative Director

Thanks, I'm looking forward to the changes!

Comment

I'm a long-time Alliance player dating back to late Vanilla/Early BC. With the Classic release, I decided to try playing each of the Horde races and I'm finding the Zygor Guides to be extremely useful for exploring and leveling these zones. I'm on the fence as to whether or not your "Efficiency Update" is really needed, because I like the option of receiving recommendations to leave one zone and move to another to avoid the grinding nature of the horde zones, especially in the 13-30 range when your choices are either Barrens or Silverpine Forest. I've an open mind, though, and I'm willing to extend you the benefit of the doubt on trying the zone-specific leveling approach. If I get bored with any particular area I can always up and do the traveling on my own without benefit of the guide. The tone of your announcement is interesting though, and given the feedback I've read in this thread, I think you might be catering to two very distinct types of players. Perhaps you should release a poll before you make a major change to the product and allow your players time to weigh in on what they would prefer? Thanks very much for your hard work. Along with other voices I'd like to see profession guides and other resources to complement your leveling guides for Classic.

Comment

Will there continue to be a "relaxed" version? What will happen to those that are already halfway through your guide?

Comment

Will the efficiency update interrupt any progress to 60 we have already completed through the guide?

Comment

I believe they have said that they will make both versions available.

Comment

Is it in any way possible for you to copy this guide?
              https://classicwow.live/

It is proven to be efficient and I don't imagine they would have any qualms about it

Comment

Originally posted by fruitfly View Post
                Is it in any way possible for you to copy this guide?
                https://classicwow.live/

It is proven to be efficient and I don't imagine they would have any qualms about it
                To copy a free version and make us pay for it is not the way to go imo. I don't even think fixing things now will change people views, guides are out there times is lost! what's different about zygor? I suggest Zygor to gather all the guides and put them in one place guides like! speed,profession,dungeon,rep and things that no other guides have. just remember classic will be here for long time so this hesitation from Zygor to go all in is puzzling to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by rathdin429 View Post
                  I'm a long-time Alliance player dating back to late Vanilla/Early BC. With the Classic release, I decided to try playing each of the Horde races and I'm finding the Zygor Guides to be extremely useful for exploring and leveling these zones. I'm on the fence as to whether or not your "Efficiency Update" is really needed, because I like the option of receiving recommendations to leave one zone and move to another to avoid the grinding nature of the horde zones, especially in the 13-30 range when your choices are either Barrens or Silverpine Forest. I've an open mind, though, and I'm willing to extend you the benefit of the doubt on trying the zone-specific leveling approach. If I get bored with any particular area I can always up and do the traveling on my own without benefit of the guide. The tone of your announcement is interesting though, and given the feedback I've read in this thread, I think you might be catering to two very distinct types of players. Perhaps you should release a poll before you make a major change to the product and allow your players time to weigh in on what they would prefer? Thanks very much for your hard work. Along with other voices I'd like to see profession guides and other resources to complement your leveling guides for Classic.

Yeah, personally I want to spend as little time grinding as possible... But I can totally see other players wanting area based leveling with more grinding... but for me I think that would push me towards trying to find Brian Kopp's old guide. I think it has a similar structure to the current Zygor guide, but maybe without some of the overleveing, not that I mind that... It's always nice not staring at a grey screen.

Comment

Originally posted by kavuteri View Post
                    To copy a free version and make us pay for it is not the way to go imo. I don't even think fixing things now will change people views, guides are out there times is lost! what's different about zygor? I suggest Zygor to gather all the guides and put them in one place guides like! speed,profession,dungeon,rep and things that no other guides have. just remember classic will be here for long time so this hesitation from Zygor to go all in is puzzling to say the least.
                    Don't worry, we would never do that. We know how to make guides, we've been doing this since the early days of WoW. As explained in our announcement, this was just the result of anticipating that our Retail audience would think the guides were bad if we re-released our original guides from back in the day. The opposite happened. The audience for Classic ended up being different and had different expectations. Luckily it's an extremely easy problem to fix. We still have the original guides that the community loved back in the day. They're even updated to work with WoW Classic. We will be putting out the Horde version next week, and the Alliance shortly after. There shouldn't be any issues after that.

While we are hopeful WoW Classic will be here to stay, the same was thought about ESO and Wildstar, and really, every MMO in history that wasn't WoW. If the game is going to become a ghost town in a couple months we'd rather focus our efforts elsewhere. Also, there wasn't really that much time in beta to even work on the Leveling guides. It was a short beta that only went up to 40, and the Auction House is dead in betas, making professions and gold guides impossible to work on and test.
                    Zygor Guides Creative Director

Comment

Will there be an option to keep the current version of the guides?

Comment

So when I canceled my subscription yesterday I used some faulty language in my feedback.
                        I am sorry for that.

I was beyond the limit of my patience considering that I'm lvl 23 at almost 2 days /played and the guide has been irritating me since 1 day of /played.

I kind of knew what was going on, and I didn't expect to break the record of Jokerd with Zygor. But I feel like this is way too slow. Especially considering that I only bought a guide to speed things up.

I see that you will fix it so it's okay.

I'm only lvl 23 bcs I wasn't able to buy the subscirption for WoW till sunday last week unfortunately.

But it's 9:43 am sunday rn and I will play till like midnight.

I know you have to go through the guide before you release it to remove bugs, make some optimizations, etc. before releasing it.
                        But can you please release the current version of your original guide now? You can just call it "WARNING! Buggy but faster." in your client. I just want today to be spent effectively.

Oh and since it's the morning, my realm isn't full yet but it will be soon and then I won't be able to log out to install the other guide. So please do this asap.
                        Last edited by Anzeno; September 8, 2019, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vlalkor View Post
                          Will there be an option to keep the current version of the guides?
                          I second that, will we still be able to use the current guide. I happen to LIKE the current guide. I am not a speed leveler, but casual and enjoy always having quests to do even if it means a bit a travel. Not to mention being a little over leveled on some quests is NOT a bad thing.

ZYGOR, I wish you would explain a little better how these new guides are going to work. Currently your guides auto move me to quests/areas that are the right level for my character, (for the most part). Will the new guides do that, or am I going to be running into mobs in a area much higher then me, and now I have to manually change quest zones myself to find proper leveled mobs/quests?

Lastly, PEOPLES, to cut down traveling time between the two continents. Set your hearth stone to like Ratchet and LEAVE it set there. When the guide has you bouncing around you have a easy way back, then fly. Some walking is unavoidable, but that's Classic.
                          Last edited by omegatay; September 8, 2019, 09:47 AM.

Comment

would be nice to add more stuff. only lvling would be done by that time.
                            u would keep much more clients with some proffecion guides or mayb the gold guide.
                            just an idea

Comment

Don't know if it's been said but I thought I would put in my 2 cents on quests. My only issue is the amount of quest you run around with not turned in. With limited bag space, I'm running around with 7+ quest-related items. I am just turning then all in when I have downtime to free up some bag space. Not even sure this is something that can be overcome due to how stretched out they are.

Comment

Working...
                              X