Auction House Users May Like This Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auction House Users May Like This Site

The Undermine Journal, is a source for Auction House statistics and data in World of Warcraft.http://theunderminejournal.com/
    What you do is look for the realm that you are on and it will tell you different things about what is going on in the Auction House like listing the hottest selling item or allowing you to search for a specific item. Now here is a warning about it being only a US Realm watcher for now: During this phase of development, we can only scan US realms. We intend to open up EU scanning soon, but until then, this form will only apply to US realms. Now it doesn't have every realm yet but it is being worked on. And if it doesn't have your realm you may request it. It will also allow you to set a item to watch for when it goes under a certain price and it will send you a email for when the item goes below the threshold you set. So go check it out if you want
    I'm Rebur, Tadia, or Judianna most games.
    Twitter @Chaos5061.
    Translations are done with Google Translate.

Very interesting... Sort of a Wall Street Journal approach... I like the analysis graphs as well as the various articles.

Comment

Awesome man! Thanks for this!!

...and woot they have my relm/faction!
      I am CDO. This is a lot like OCD, except the letters are in alphabetical order... as they should be.

Comment

Still need to add mine (Lightbringer Horde)

Just restarted playing WoW after long absence. Looks like I chose a realm that's a bit more slanted toward the Alliance. (used too play Alliance exclusively. Chose Horde for a change of scenery and questlines. Glad I did since I'm enjoying it and motoring forward with these guides).

Comment

Originally posted by am88 View Post
          Still need to add mine (Lightbringer Horde)

Just restarted playing WoW after long absence. Looks like I chose a realm that's a bit more slanted toward the Alliance. (used too play Alliance exclusively. Chose Horde for a change of scenery and questlines. Glad I did since I'm enjoying it and motoring forward with these guides).
          I look forward to seeing you in WG then.
          The battles are a bit slanted, but the Horde do walk away with WG much more than where I started at, in Ravencrest.
          "The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas."

Comment

Originally posted by Kamchak View Post
            I look forward to seeing you in WG then.
            The battles are a bit slanted, but the Horde do walk away with WG much more than where I started at, in Ravencrest.
            WG is one of the BattleGrounds? I really never got into the PvP much, preferring PvE. Likely because the few times I was asked to participate, it wasn't the best of experiences. No one explained much of what was going to happen, what my role was to be, and then once the event started, they went off to do their own thing and and any cohesive effort instantly disolved, leaving me to fend for myself and not knowing how best to contribute.

Anyhow... right now just trying to re-established, figure out what I really want to be doing and hopefully find a decent guild that doesn't mind assisting with progression and then let me in on various upper end content as I learn.

Comment

WG is one of the BattleGrounds? I really never got into the PvP much, preferring PvE. Likely because the few times I was asked to participate, it wasn't the best of experiences. No one explained much of what was going to happen, what my role was to be, and then once the event started, they went off to do their own thing and and any cohesive effort instantly disolved, leaving me to fend for myself and not knowing how best to contribute.

Anyhow... right now just trying to re-established, figure out what I really want to be doing and hopefully find a decent guild that doesn't mind assisting with progression and then let me in on various upper end content as I learn.
              Get with me ingame and Ill see what I can help you with on Lightbringer, if you're also on US server.

Comment

This is sad
                From WowInsider:

The Undermine Journal is an invaluable site that a lot of auctioneers have been making great use of. I wrote about it when it was in alpha, as well as how to use its market alert to watch for cheap deals. Unfortunately, the days of having a convenient graph showing you the price history for your realm are numbered. There's a very real possibility that this service will be killed by Blizzard's new auction house interface, and we'd be back to each keeping our own spreadsheets.

What's going on?

The site works by logging into the auction house web interface (the pre-Cataclysm one) and scanning through every auction. In order to access a realm, Erorus, the owner of The Undermine Journal, has to create a level 1 character for each realm/faction. With 50 characters per account, this has meant a slow but steady increase of realm faction coverage, dictated by user votes. Each realm is crawled once an hour or so, but the crawlers were designed to minimize the impact on Blizzard's servers.

The old WoW Armory interface for Blizzard has started to time out on scans, and the new Battle.net interface doesn't allow for scans like this. Blizzard has never acknowledged that it's aware of the UJ, and since its change has (potentially unintentionally) hamstrung it, Erorus has stopped accepting donations and adding realms (which involves creating new accounts).

The value of The Undermine Journal

This site is essentially a hobby; Erorus described it as his "train set." It costs real money to keep running, but building and maintaining a site of this complexity is the kind of pastime that some people really enjoy. The core functionality of the site sounds simple: provide near-to-real-time data and a historical graph. However, reading through the developer blog archives, it's remarkable how complex these things get under the covers. There are a bunch of servers performing various parts of the job, a large and complex-sounding database, and one of the best login systems I've seen in our corner of the internet.

There had been all kinds of new features being added once the core engine was running smoothly: heat maps and sold item tracking, an XML feed (which provides the raw data Blizzard should be providing), syndicated editorials, the alerts I mentioned before, and of course, a ream of new realms added very frequently.

Personally, I make the most use out of the alerts and the historic graphs for commodities. When I found myself buying volatiles two days after launch, being able to see how far the market had dropped since launch really helped me. I also use it to keep tabs on my competition, which helps me plan when to schedule some playtime (ideally right after they historically log off). I'm not the only person who uses this site, and assuming it's left running by Blizzard, I suspect a lot of people would get value from it.

But is it legal?

Parsing the data from the auction house of hundreds of realms into an easily manipulated format is not only complex; some people wonder whether it's even allowed. The short answer is that yes, it's completely, 100 percent in accordance with the terms of service as they are now. However, this is Blizzard's game, and if it decides that this site is not something it wants to encourage, it always has the right to turn it off.

Intent matters, though. A player-funded hobby site that takes every possible measure to avoid causing unnecessary stress on the Blizzard servers and carefully follows the guidance for data usage on the wowarmory.com site is much more likely to be tolerated (or hopefully even encouraged) than a site that takes advantage and doesn't pay any attention to the resources it consumes.

How Blizzard can save the Undermine Journal

If Blizzard continues with its plan to phase out the WoW Armory in favor of Battle.net, the Undermine Journal will close down. I suspect it will not have been deliberate on Blizzard's part, because the few occasions when some player-generated innovation crossed a line that made the game less fun (like AVR, QA Poster, and the original Decursive), Blizzard was pretty up front about its desire for it to go away. The Undermine Journal seems to be under Blizzard's radar still, but I like to think that if it were looked at, there might be a compromise where the site could be allowed to continue to exist in some way. I suspect that Blizzard probably wouldn't mind any of the features but might be a little peeved about the necessity of crawlers.

If this is the case, that's a simple problem to fix, and there's precedent. Auctioneer's scan used to be a resource-wasting server hog. Instead of disabling or throttling Auctioneer, Blizzard elected to provide an efficient data dump that could be only run every 15 minutes. Assuming it notices the UJ fast enough to make a similar decision, the answer could be to create a raw XML feed of the auction house.

This would take us from a situation in which one person has to pay for enough accounts that he's able to execute an incredibly inefficient scan at great expense to both his bank account and the Blizzard servers to a situation in which a very efficient XML feed is provided. The UJ (along with any other innovators who have an idea that would make the auction house minigame more fun) could focus on manipulating, interpreting, and displaying that data.

Honestly, I just don't want to have to go back to my spreadsheet. This site is infinitely better than the dinky little sheet I had made for myself to track prices, and it takes (me, at least) a lot less work. So long as Erorus is willing to keep programming for us, I hope Blizzard lets him.
                Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamchak View Post
                  Get with me ingame and Ill see what I can help you with on Lightbringer, if you're also on US server.
                  Kam -- I didn't see this until just now (ready Chaos' Undermine Journal post).

I've left Lightbringer for quite a while and been over on Arathor with another toon. But I'm happy to move back over if the offer of assistance is still open. Which faction are you running? For me, my current main is a human priest. (lvl 72) Send a reply via PM so I don't miss it if it's buried in a thread.

Comment

Kam -- I didn't see this until just now (ready Chaos' Undermine Journal post).

I've left Lightbringer for quite a while and been over on Arathor with another toon. But I'm happy to move back over if the offer of assistance is still open. Which faction are you running? For me, my current main is a human priest. (lvl 72) Send a reply via PM so I don't miss it if it's buried in a thread.
                    Im always willing to help ppl when I can.
                    As of right now Im working on getting my 80's to 85 (mage has taken priority) and then working the worgen and goblin zones a few more times to get more familiar with them.
                    Just add my toons to your friends list and pst me when Im on.
                    (copy/pasted into a PM for you as well)

Cheers,

Kam

Comment

The Undermine Journal is now closed. I'll update this blog in case of any new developments. Hope to catch you on the flip side. http://blog.theunderminejournal.com/
                      Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

It's back open now: http://blog.theunderminejournal.com/
                        Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

That's awesome news!
                          I am CDO. This is a lot like OCD, except the letters are in alphabetical order... as they should be.

Comment

Working...
                          X