This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tbarho View Post
    so basicly, you can pay 6 bucks get all the new 6 guides cancell the sub then just dont use the updater and you will continue to recieve the 6 new guides. only resubscribe if you have to dl an important update cuase the new guides are not running properly then after update cancell again until its necessary to update again. Also blizzard has released their projections for wow and they have said that thee will only be 2 more expansions with the last one in 2013 so dont expect wow to actualy be around in 5 years from now.
    Where have they said that?! There was a LEAKED and NON-VERIFIED roadmap that was in the wild that showed Xpac4 and 5 on it. but trust me... if people are still playing WoW and Blizzard is still making money... it will NOT go away.

Comment

Originally posted by Zygor Support 2 View Post
      No, because addon developers still maintain copyright and distribution rights. If a third party redistributed our addon withour our permission, free or not, they could face legal action.
      Not to put a thumb in your eye... but wouldn't they just offer the "guide" files and tell people to go download the trial version of Zygor's for the "free" viewer?

And to add my voice to the list of people not subscribing, I won't find enough value in subscribing for one guide, or even two. If it was a "buy this guide for X dollars and it's yours" I would certainly consider that, but not a subscription.

Comment

Originally posted by cabby View Post
        I didn't delete anything so I have no idea who or why.
        His post was deleted because he mentioned another guide vendor, which is against the forum rules.
        Zygor Guides Creative Director

Comment

Personally I have been a big Zygor fan for a while and have been a long time member - however I'm severely disappointed with this business model, which is obviously just designed to generate a significantly increased income.

I feel the prices are really quite expensive and will certainly not be paying any monthly fees, however I would be prepared to carry on buying (and owning) more guides as they are released, although I realise this will not be an option.

I urge a serious reconsideration of this model if Zygor wants to keep his current user and fan base.

Comment

No, because addon developers still maintain copyright and distribution rights. If a third party redistributed our addon withour our permission, free or not, they could face legal action.
            Granted I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think what you just said includes guides for the addon.
            What I meant was you get to keep the addon, which is "free" and someone else releases a bunch of guides (just the guide files, nothing else)
            What kind of legal area does that fall into? With my limited understanding I can't see how your copyright of the guide-viewer addon extends to third party guides made for it.
            That would be like microsoft legally owning every .doc saved with microsoft office word

edit: And if zygor guides have exclusive rights to release content for the addon, doesn't that invalidate your claims about being within the blizzard policy about addons?

Comment

So many unhappy customers of Zygor....and with good reason!

Why change something if it continues to work and people are happy with how it is? I am happy paying as a one off. I only need to use the Lore Master guide now as everything else is done for my characters Im not bothered about the titles. So for me it makes no sense whatsoever to pay for a subscription based product like this.

I cant afford to add yet more monthly outgoings to my bills. I already pay out enough and would prefer to have my hard earned money in my pocket not someone elses. Now and again as a treat to myself a one off payment for something is welcome but not a recurring fee, espcially for a game which I have to already pay £8.99 a month for, it is after all only a game.

Like many others have said before me I for one will NOT be subscribing and yes there is alot of FREE content on the net now for all the info the guides provide, the only thing your paying for is the in-game guide.

Another customer bites the dust (been myself)....goodbye!!

Comment

Are you saying the guide content are indeed addon's? Im just trying to understand the legal standpoint here. Because if they are considered addon's then it does violate the blizz rules to charge for them, If they are infact only carefully arranged text files that hold info that the guide reads (not addon's) then ok.

edit: bah viruzzz beat me to it

Comment

Originally posted by bierstein View Post
                  Not to put a thumb in your eye... but wouldn't they just offer the "guide" files and tell people to go download the trial version of Zygor's for the "free" viewer?
                  Why go thru all that trouble and possible legal action (don't know specifics but I'm sure Zygor would still have some legal say in the use of his addon). Those of us that have created mini guides for use with the Zygor Guide Viewer made them public with Zygor's permission. Zygor has always said you can create guides for personal use but any publicly distributed guides have to have permission.
                  My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Originally posted by cabby View Post
                    Why go thru all that trouble and possible legal action (don't know specifics but I'm sure Zygor would still have some legal say in the use of his addon). Those of us that have created mini guides for use with the Zygor Guide Viewer made them public with Zygor's permission. Zygor has always said you can create guides for personal use but any publicly distributed guides have to have permission.
                    I see where you are coming from, and I'm exploring this just for cerebral purposes, but you can't have it both ways. Either the add-on is free or it isn't. The method of deployment is *I believe* what Zygor2 was talking about. If you get the add-on from the official site and someone just offers free "guides" for that add-on I don't see where the author of the add-on has any say about what other people do with text files on their computers, which is what the "guide" really amounts to.

Comment

What is the difference between a update and a upgrade. When I purchased the product it came with a "100% free lifetime update". Is this still true?

Comment

Originally posted by manfred View Post
                        What is the difference between a update and a upgrade. When I purchased the product it came with a "100% free lifetime update". Is this still true?
                        Update covers bug fixes, changes made to the game through patches, and zone revisions as was seen with the 1-60 in Cataclysm.

Upgrade pertains mainly to expansions. Expansions add in new zones, new levels, and new content that wasn't included in the original purchase price. We sell this expanded guide content separately, have done so throughout our entire history, and will continue to offer these updates for a one time fee.

The only content that requires a subscription is if you are interested in our new suite of 6 guides which also includes any of our 4 current guides you don't already own. You can also use the subscription to upgrade all of your products at once as opposed to paying 20-30 bucks a pop for each individual guide you own.

Hope this clears things up
                        Zygor Guides Creative Director

Comment

Update - update current guides that you own (ex - leveling 1-85)

Upgrade - new content (86-90)

Updates are free for lifetime... upgrades are not.

This was a simple response, moderator may give u more detail.

Edit: lol too late

Comment

Originally posted by bierstein View Post
                            I see where you are coming from, and I'm exploring this just for cerebral purposes, but you can't have it both ways. Either the add-on is free or it isn't. The method of deployment is *I believe* what Zygor2 was talking about. If you get the add-on from the official site and someone just offers free "guides" for that add-on I don't see where the author of the add-on has any say about what other people do with text files on their computers, which is what the "guide" really amounts to.
                            I believe it would all fall under the Intellectual Copyright laws for Zygor being able to have a say in how his product is used.
                            My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

and upgrade is adding something new to the current guide
                              and update is fixing something , or changing something without changing the basic contents of your guides.

those are by no means official definitions, but it's something like that.
                              The updates is everything to do with bug-fixing, keeping event guides up to date, redesigning the guide viewer etc.
                              Upgrades are extra products, for example the 80-85 portion of the current guides, that was an upgrade from the wotlk 1-80, this was not free.

Comment

I now I will not pay per monto for guides that's just total BS and IMO it seems like they just took the macros and profession list and whatever off the net and CAN'T sell it bc that'd be illegal...and no I didn't read this whole forum I'm just sayn my 2 coppers ,but me 1 zygor 0
                                Hurts to say but looks like someones getting greedy or put a moron in charge...
                                LIGHTINGHOOF-US-RPPVP
                                Dwarf Shaman-Shamme 90 Elemental/Resto
                                Nelf Rouge-Legolys 90 Sub/Ass
                                Pandarian Monk-Phood 90 Windwalker/Brewmaster
                                Nelf Druid-Ornek 85 Boomkin/Bear
                                Nelf DK-Zgknight 85 Blood/NA
                                Draenei Hunter-Bowz 85 MM/Survival
                                Worgen Priest-Loyder 85 Disc/Shadow
                                Gnome Warlock-Lotzadots 85 Destro/NA
                                Dwarf Paladin-Buradin 85 Prot/Ret
                                Gnome Mage-Zygors 70 Arcane/NA
                                Nelf Warrior-Talifan 61 Prot/NA