dont know if i should reply to this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dont know if i should reply to this

a couple of days ago i got this email from wowaccountadmin@blizzard.com saying i need to give my account information...ive never played a game where the company sends u a email asking about account info..regarding my first and last name, account name and pass...it says my account will be suspended if i dont send them information cuz they dont know if im the person that actually signed up for the account which i am and i have the cd keys and all info to back it up...so is it safe to send a email back? or is it a scam?

It's more than likely a scam. If you're worried that it might be real call the Blizzard Account support at 1-800-592-5499 from 8am -8pm pacific time 7 days a week and talk to them directly. This is the phone number that is listed on the official Blizzard website.
    My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Account information is not the same as account password. As the tips in the login tell you, Blizzard will never ask you for your password.
      They will, however, need to know your account info to identify the specific account they are dealing with.
      If, however, you did not initiate this activity, then be scared.
      Regardless, you should get an authenticator for added protection.
      "The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas."

Comment

whoever sent it did a real good job with the email..i almost sent my account info in...i figured since the email had @blizzard.com that i was in trouble for something..but yea they asked for

* First and Last name
        * Address
        * Zip code
        * Phone number Daytime
        * Country
        * Account e-mail
        * CD-key
        * Battle.net account name
        * Battle.net account password
        * Secret Question and Answer

all that information and it looked pretty professional

kept saying i was trading and selling my account which ive not done

thx for the help

Comment

It's actually quite easy to make it look like the email came from any email account you want. The dead giveaway is if you hit reply and look at the email address that it wants to send your info to, or if it's going to a website when you go there looking at the actual website address that loads.

Comment

Actually the dead give away is this part

* Battle.net account name
            * Battle.net account password
            * Secret Question and Answer
            According to official releases from Blizzard, Blizzard will NEVER ask for your password, period, at all :P.

Comment

Aye, Blizzard will never ask for your account password. If you're in doubt, just contact an ingame GM

Comment

They won't ask for your account name via e-mail either. If they need any of that information, they will give you a number to contact them to ensure you're as safe as you can be. They won't warn you to provide information about your account OTHERWISE it would be suspended; instead, they would SUSPEND your account and THEN ask.

If anything like that ever happens, don't click reply. Instead, go to the World of Warcraft site and obtain their customer support number; and then contact them. This would keep your account at a better security then replying to these sorts of e-mails ;-).

Silverhawk11
                It may seem narcissistic to link this, but it's awesome nonetheless.

Comment

It amazes me how much of this goes on. Tell me something... what do they get out of hacking someone's account? Is it just the thrill of being mean? Is that one way they get their own toons rich? They can't get your credit card info, right? Even if I look at my account, I'm just gonna see a bunch of astericks and a few numbers/letters.
                  80 Tauren Hunter - 75 Blood Elf Paladin - 54 Tauren Druid - 47 Undead Mage - 25 Dwarf Paladin - 26 Human Mage

Comment

Originally posted by n3k05 View Post
                    a couple of days ago i got this email from wowaccountadmin@blizzard.com
                    <snip>

The "wonderful" thing with html based mail is that you can make something appear to be one thing while performing a completely different action. My guess is that if you actually mouse over that link, or do a view source you will see that the link does not actually point to blizzard. Similar massaging can be done with from fields in mail where the display name is completely different from the underlying header. Viewing the contact information should show the real address.

Comment

I've always assumed it was part of the goldsellers stuff. Hacking accounts, selling everything of value, then laundering the gold. Don't really know though, lol.

Comment

I still suggest to everyone that you make your WoW forum name / email TOTALLY different then your battle.net login. hackers can farm email adresses from forums with ease and then attempt social engineering on the emails they farm. If you keep the two (battle.net and forums) different and you get email from "Blizzard" on your forums based email you KNOW 110% if is fake since Blizzard only knows the real email address ... not your forums email address.
                        Cairne Realm
                        Main: 100 Human Prot Pally
                        Alt#1: 100 Tauren Resto Druid
                        Alt#2: 60 Dwarf Beast Hunter

Comment

Or you can just do like I do and not bother to even post on the Blizzard forums. Most programs that farm forums for email addresses only look at posts and not a user listing.

Comment

Oh snap... I got the same one and fell for it, but being SO paranoid that it was real it convinced me to get an authenticator for my iPod immediately after responding. This was about a month ago, and my acount is hacker free. GULLIBLE PARANOIA FTW XD

Comment

I agree with Cabby. Safest bet is to not post on any WoW related forums. I do post here on the Zygor forums but that is the only place related to WoW I actually interact with. Everywhere else I just lurk when I am researching stuff
                              Cairne Realm
                              Main: 100 Human Prot Pally
                              Alt#1: 100 Tauren Resto Druid
                              Alt#2: 60 Dwarf Beast Hunter

Comment

Working...
                              X