No announcement yet.

Computer upgrade thoughts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still haven't gotten WoW back up with addons yet but decided to test and see the FPS. It was fluctuating between 172 and 180 on Ultra Settings. More tests later.
    I'm Rebur, Tadia, or Judianna most games.
    Twitter @Chaos5061.
    Translations are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Looks like I need to get a new graphics card

About the wrong clock speeds in 3DMark, it looks like it's just the power saving values, a friend of mine recently complained about windows showing his CPU spped at 800 MHz and not 2,9 GHz with his AMD CPU.

Comment

Tell him to look at a program named Core Temp. All it does is give info about the CPU. Here is a screenshot of mine:

I find it to be spot on with it's readings.
        Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

So I just tried out Rift to see the FPS with my new build. First I set it to Ultra. Just at those default Ultra settings I was getting 73 FPS. So I decided to just max everything as high as it could go. Results 52 FPS running around Sanctum. Went out into the field and did some looking around. Did a invasion a fire rift idol and a fire rift and didn't once drop below 40 FPS. Now I just need to see what happens when I go into a big zone wide event to see the FPS there. If I get 30 I'll be a happy puppy.
          Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

Originally posted by chaos5061 View Post
            Tell him to look at a program named Core Temp. All it does is give info about the CPU. Here is a screenshot of mine
            With CPUs without turbo mode it's no big problem to find out the real clock speed, just run something like Prime95 and then take a look.
            Would be interesting if a CPU makes use of the turbo mode while playing. Did you run Core temp in logging mode and look after the clock speeds afterwards?
            When seeing those high turbo mode speeds I always think "nice marketing"...

Comment

Going to take me a little to look at the logging file. I have to install Open Office to be able to read it. Sometime tonight maybe.
              Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

No need to hurry, I was just interested if games benefit from the turbo mode. I would never rely on it and a Core i5 should be fast enough for any game even at it's normal speed

Comment

I just checked the logging file and had core temp where I could see it while playing WoW for a few minutes and it didn't change. Of course it may not change since I have it OCed.
                  Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

Yeah, if you have it OC'd then the turbo mode won't kick in because you're essentially locking the core speed.
                    My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

I love my upgrades.

Guild Wars 2 for the hour I played it today I had 55-60 FPS in Queensdale and 35-40 FPS in Divinity's Reach all on max settings. And the game is not even optimized completely yet.

Where as before I got 40 FPS in Queensdale & 25 FPS in Divinity's Reach on the Balanced setting for the slider.
                      Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

My computer can do all this and my windows score is 7.6.

Processor 7.6
                        Memory (Ram): 7.9
                        Graphics: 7.9
                        Gaming Graphics: 7.9
                        Primary Hard Disk: 7.7
                        Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

Okay final analyse of upgrade:
                          Old FPS:
                          WoW:
                          Ultra Settings DirectX 11, Fullscreen Windowed 1920*1080, 64-bit client, Crossfire Enabled and my normal Addons set up in Darnassus next to Bank FPS is 38-42 and MS is 45.
                          Crossfire Disabled Only Change FPS is 40-42 and MS is 47.

Rift:
                          Ultra Settings Crossfire Enabled Fullscreen Windowed 1920*1080 No Addons In Sanctum FPS is 26 MS is 47.
                          Crossfire Disabled Only Change FPS is 24-25 MS is 47.

SWTOR:
                          Highest Everything can go Settings Crossfire Enabled Fullscreen Windowed 1920*1080 In Fleet FPS is 30-34 MS is 29.
                          Crossfire Disabled Only Change FPS is 38-40 MS is 46.

New FPS:
                          WoW:
                          Ultra Settings DirectX 11, Fullscreen Windowed 1920*1080, 64-bit client, My normal Addons set up in Darnassus next to Bank FPS is 182 and MS is 52.

Rift:
                          Custom Settings Everything Maxed Fullscreen Windowed 1920*1080 No Addons In Sanctum FPS is 73 MS is 47.

SWTOR:
                          Highest Everything can go Settings Fullscreen Windowed 1920*1080 In Fleet FPS is 83 MS is 85.

Survey says:
                          WoW Improvement of (182-42=) 140 FPS Improvement

Rift Improvement of (73-26=) 47 FPS Improvement

SWTOR Improvement of (83-40=) 43 FPS Improvement

And all this FPS goes up the further I get away from other players. Example: SWTOR Fleet FPS is 83 but when I journeyed to Dromund Kaas my FPS went up to 111 and when in combat only dropped to 95.

It was worth all that money is my opinion.

Edit: Going to probably have to turn on V-Sync for all of them except Rift maybe.
                          Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

Computer back in shop to add 2 more OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD. $100 for one a couple of days ago on Amazon.
                            Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

Working...
                            X