• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atonement Guide!

Specs:

Cookie Cutter
    My (old) Build
    Renew Build
    Tentative 4.1 Atonement spec(Emphasizes Holy Fire being on the mob/boss nearly full time to further buff Smite's damage and by extension, healing).

Atonement Disc Priest Spell selection:
    For those of you who have wanted to try this spec out but haven't had much luck with finding a guide... TADA!!!!

This is assuming you're specc'd, glyphed, and geared appropriately for this spec. I'll break down the strats for each of the scenarios you'll probably face in 5-mans. I haven't raided on my disc alt as Atonement since I've been more focused on my mage.

I have forsaken Renew since I am not currently specc'd into it, I may spec into it later, but right now, I'm doing fine without it.

***In General***
    1.) Keep 3 stacks of Grace on the tank at all times (I'll reiterate this throughout the post). This is a ton of extra healing they'll receive.
    2.) Keep 5 stacks of Evangelism up as much as possible. This will allow you to Archangel for a nice chunk of mana and an excellent healing bonus for when times get tough. It also boosts the damage of Smite allowing you to heal for more, and it reduces the mana cost.
    3.) Unless there is very little damage going around: Prayer of Mending, Power Word: Shield and Penance should be used on CD.
    4.) When Surge of Light(SoL) procs, use it before the time runs out. This is a nice-sized heal for free. It can crit as well as cause another Surge of Light.

***Before a pull***
    1.) Penance the tank, this will stack 3 applications of Grace increasing all of your heals by 24%. Grace needs to stay on the tank at 3 stacks at ALL times, otherwise your tank healing will be severely diminished. Grace can also affect multiple targets, but you won't need to keep it on them.
    2.) Power Word: Shield, (the tank) pretty self explanatory.
    3.) Prayer of Mending, the tank gives immediate healing once Power Word: Shield has been used up or falls off.

***During a pull***

Tank is stable or taking low-med/steady damage. Party is stable taking no damage or light/infrequent damage.

1.) Smite spam on the tank's target. This should be enough to keep the tank topped off, be sure to refresh Grace if it gets close to falling off. The most efficient way of doing so is Heal. If Grace does happen to fall off: Penance.

Tank is taking medium damage consistently. Party is stable taking no damage or light/infrequent damage.

1.) Power Word: Shield to prevent further damage.
    2.) Penance to immediately heal the tank for most if not all of his HP.
    3.) Prayer of Mending since shield is going to pop sooner than later, this will buy you more time.
    4.) Depending on how much HP the tank is missing use Smite, Heal, or Greater Heal to top them off.

Tank is stable, taking little damage if any, party is taking consistent light - medium damage.

1.) Prayer of Mending the lowest HP member.
    2.) Prayer of Healing as needed. Divine Aegis is guaranteed to proc and will help in topping your party off by preventing further damage. The Glyph of Prayer of Healing is now a solid choice for both priest healing specs and is a great addition to our multi-target healing toolbox.
    3.) Penance, Heal, and Greater Heal as needed to top off individual party members.

Tank is taking heavy damage or has taken significant damage. Party is stable or taking light - medium damage.

1.) Pop Archangel.
    2.) Activate Power Infusion
    3.) Activate Pain Suppression on the tank.
    4.) Power Word: Shield the tank.
    5.) Prayer of Mending the tank.
    6.) Penance the tank.
    7.) Smite to top the tank off, if more intensive healing is needed use Greater Heal if above 30-40% or Flash Heal if under 30%. Don't forget about Surge of Light!!
    6.) Prayer of Mending before Archangel expires to stabilize your party.

Tank and Party has taken significant damage.

1.) Power Word: Shield the tank.
    2.) Pop Archangel.
    3.) Activate Power Infusion
    4.) Prayer of Mending the tank.
    5.) Penance the tank.
    6.) Power Word: Barrier as many party members as possible.
    7.) Prayer of Healing 1 - 2 times then top off the stragglers with Heal or Greater Heal starting with the tank.

This covers most of the typical scenarios that 5-mans present if your party is doing it right and not playing like derps. Of course there are special circumstances outside of your control that will require you to think on your feet. For those of your specc'd into Improved Renew squeeze it in where you see fit... IMO: HoTs are for Druids!
    85s
    Skippyninja
    Oomatherman
    Judedaniels
    MissRuPaul
    Sumekomovani
    Pattymelt
    Shamwiches
    Twonewon
    Takakoinaba
    Cursesmcgee

Nice guide.

I've been wanting to try Disc on my alt priest but wasn't quite sure how to go about it

Comment

Hey Skippy, thanks for the great guide! I'm so new to protests that I didn't even know what your post was about until I opened it up and read it... Lol I'll have to come back to this as I level my Holyhomie since he's only level 30 right now...

Take care and thanks again!
      * Signature to be Updated at a later time *

Comment

Most interesting! Not quite the way I used to do it, as I depended a lot on renew, but your way sounds like something I'd like to try. Wonder how it translates to lower levels (43 + 53)? Hmm, as I recall, Power Infusion is about the only thing I think I don't have. Should be doable.

I haven't healed for quite a while, as I got rather tired of the unbelievably moronic tanks that pester the randoms, but I guess it's about time to take it up again - at least it's a challenge ;o)
        QQ

The CIA deliberately spread misinformation that tin-foil hats prevent mind control.
        The horrible truth is, that tinfoil hats enable mind control.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Is this your build?

Code:
          ZygorTalentAdvisor:RegisterBuild("PRIEST","Personal Discipline (35 / 6 / 0)",[[
              2/2 Improved Power Word: Shield
              3/3 Twin Disciplines
              2/2 Evangelism
              1/1 Archangel
              2/2 Soul Warding
              2/2 Atonement
              2/2 Renewed Hope
              1/3 Mental Agility
              3/3 Rapture
              2/2 Borrowed Time
              2/2 Train of Thought
              3/3 Divine Aegis
              2/2 Grace
              2/2 Strength of Soul
              1/3 Mental Agility // Now 2/3
              1/1 Power Word: Barrier
              1/3 Mental Agility // Now 3/3
              1/1 Inner Focus
              1/1 Pain Suppression
              1/2 Reflective Shield
              3/3 Divine Fury
              2/3 Empowered Healing
              1/2 Inspiration
          ]],[[
              Prime Glyph of Penance
              Prime Glyph of Power Word: Shield
              Prime Glyph of Power Word: Barrier
              Major Glyph of Divine Accuracy
              Major Glyph of Pain Suppression
              Major Glyph of Inner Fire
              Minor Glyph of Fortitude
              Minor Glyph of Levitate
              Minor Glyph of Shadowfiend
          ]])
          QQ

The CIA deliberately spread misinformation that tin-foil hats prevent mind control.

Comment

That's my build. Nin88 has reported great success with it and whenever I've used it I've had no problems. Granted, I haven't played my priest in quite some time but I do believe that's pretty much an ElitistJerks recommended build.
            My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

EJ specs are mostly endgame and designed for raids, as opposed to soloing, but this looks OK for leveling as well. Certainly better than my current spec, which was adapted from the Zygor disc spec to support atonement. Has Glyphs for PW:Barrier and Pain Supression, where I have Renew and Holy Nova. Renew is (was?) pretty much my main spell, when healing, and I've had much fun using Holy Nova in places like the stairs in Zul'farrak and against the rats in Stratholme - until 4.0.1 moved it to lvl 62.
              QQ

Comment

Originally posted by pinghansen View Post
                EJ specs are mostly endgame and designed for raids, as opposed to soloing, but this looks OK for leveling as well. Certainly better than my current spec, which was adapted from the Zygor disc spec to support atonement. Has Glyphs for PW:Barrier and Pain Supression, where I have Renew and Holy Nova. Renew is (was?) pretty much my main spell, when healing, and I've had much fun using Holy Nova in places like the stairs in Zul'farrak and against the rats in Stratholme - until 4.0.1 moved it to lvl 62.
                As for me, I'm less concerned about 'solo leveling' with my priest as I am about 5-man healing abilities because for him, I will be queuing RD after RD after RD to level him... it's an experiment to see how it works out. I think that Cabby's spec will do him well.

Comment

Yeah, my spec is based on EJ end game raiding, but as I built it I kept the 5-man dungeon runs in mind. All I've done with my priest since lvl 15 is dungeons, but I haven't done a whole lot since the talent tree changes for dungeon healing. When I was building the spec I had 2 goals, first and foremost was the dungeon grouping and second was for it to be viable as a 10-man raid secondary healer minimum. It should work well for anyone leveling that wants to run dungeons and still provide solo survivability while giving some usefulness in a raid.
                  My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

I still have to post my spec, I was at work until raid time last night, then I had to sleep to be back at work this morning. I will post both the Renew spec and the non-Renew spec that I think work the best.

Depending on how 4.1 goes with adding Holy Fire, I might post a spec based on that as well.
                    85s
                    Skippyninja
                    Oomatherman
                    Judedaniels
                    MissRuPaul
                    Sumekomovani
                    Pattymelt
                    Shamwiches
                    Twonewon
                    Takakoinaba
                    Cursesmcgee

Comment

Originally posted by cabby View Post
                      It should work well for anyone leveling that wants to run dungeons and still provide solo survivability while giving some usefulness in a raid.
                      That's how I read it as well - and it so happens, that's exactly what I want.

I don't know how much questing my priests have done, but not much. Admittedly, I have experimented at bit with the dark side on the newer one, but she packs quite a wallop in disc and can maintain that for a fairly long time, without running out of mana - something I haven't mastered when using shadow.
                      QQ

Comment

So has anyone tried using Lightwell and if so, does anyone actually click on it to heal themselves or is it just a waste of both mana and talent points?

Comment

I never see anyone use them...but I'd
                          mite now that I have a priest and no what it is lol
                          LIGHTINGHOOF-US-RPPVP
                          Dwarf Shaman-Shamme 90 Elemental/Resto
                          Nelf Rouge-Legolys 90 Sub/Ass
                          Pandarian Monk-Phood 90 Windwalker/Brewmaster
                          Nelf Druid-Ornek 85 Boomkin/Bear
                          Nelf DK-Zgknight 85 Blood/NA
                          Draenei Hunter-Bowz 85 MM/Survival
                          Worgen Priest-Loyder 85 Disc/Shadow
                          Gnome Warlock-Lotzadots 85 Destro/NA
                          Dwarf Paladin-Buradin 85 Prot/Ret
                          Gnome Mage-Zygors 70 Arcane/NA
                          Nelf Warrior-Talifan 61 Prot/NA

Comment

Lightwell is made of win this expansion. I can't live without it, and some fights pretty much depend on the extra healing it provides.
                            85s
                            Skippyninja
                            Oomatherman
                            Judedaniels
                            MissRuPaul
                            Sumekomovani
                            Pattymelt
                            Shamwiches
                            Twonewon
                            Takakoinaba
                            Cursesmcgee

Comment

I know this much about Lightwell. Blizzard has said that if you are not clicking the Lightwell then you are doing it wrong.
                              I'm Rebur, Tadia, or Judianna most games.
                              Twitter @Chaos5061.
                              Translations are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Working...
                              X