OR

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need help I have a warror but I dont want to miss the right gear as I'm questing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help I have a warror but I dont want to miss the right gear as I'm questing

how you you make a good tank warror or is a warror best as something else peeps give me some advise or make a guide lol right now I'm level 8 just getting started but what is it to becoming a good tank when do you start getting gear?

A good tank is one that knows how to use all of his abilities to get and hold agro. The gear is good to help give more HP so you survive longer until the heal lands, but if you can't hold agro then all the gear in the world won't make you good.

To help with knowing what gear to use grab the TankPoints addon from Curse.
    My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Hello,

Good Warrior tank? Shockwave, and Thunder Clap the living crap out of everything. Then use Revenge and Devastate(stack this) every time you get the chance. To provide extra DPS make sure you Shield Bash (or is it Slam to do the damage, I forget) and then interrupt the casters when they are casting a spell. It's pretty difficult to get aggro from spread out mobs as a warrior because most players will DPS the targets you're not on (because they don't understand to focus the target you're looking at instead) and it's a massive pain. As a Warrior, you rely on good DPS's which don't exist. :-P.

Silverhawk11
      It may seem narcissistic to link this, but it's awesome nonetheless.

Comment

What race do you play as?

Personally I play as a Human Warrior for tanking and I use a shield and sword (Always use a shield if you can as a tank.) but use whatever your race gets expertise in.

As a tank be considerate of the healer's mana, make sure you listen to any good advice that some people have (After all, they might have a tank alt or know the best strategy to tackle a tough situation.).
        85s
        Skippyninja
        Oomatherman
        Judedaniels
        MissRuPaul
        Sumekomovani
        Pattymelt
        Shamwiches
        Twonewon
        Takakoinaba
        Cursesmcgee

Comment

Originally posted by cabby View Post
          A good tank is one that knows how to use all of his abilities to get and hold agro. The gear is good to help give more HP so you survive longer until the heal lands, but if you can't hold agro then all the gear in the world won't make you good.

Cabby is spot on, but I will add this part as well.
          Having a warrior tank as a group means holding off on DPS for a few seconds while he/she gains the aggro. Most DPS want to blast asap, but this is not in the groups best interest with a warrior tank.
          Make sure that any eager DPS is kindly informed to give you the time you need to gain aggro. Tell them to litterally count 3 seconds before they blast on in.
          "The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas."

Comment

Originally posted by silverhawk11 View Post
            As a Warrior, you rely on good DPS's which don't exist. :-P.
            Oi!!! i r guud Dee-pee-ez! mah r-cane iz so l33t! it can beet ur fail tankings!!

On a serious note, I usually use Flamestrike > Blizzard > Flamestrike > Pick a target: Blast, blast, blast (repeat step 4 until enemies = carpet).
            85s
            Skippyninja
            Oomatherman
            Judedaniels
            MissRuPaul
            Sumekomovani
            Pattymelt
            Shamwiches
            Twonewon
            Takakoinaba
            Cursesmcgee

Comment

Don't know about warrior tanks as I haven't levelled one yet, but I have managed a pally. I've found that dps tend to target your first target, during your pull phase, and not the one you end up concentrating on.

Simple solution, tag an enemy with a 'skull' icon during each assault. I'm sure there's even a macro that can be set up to do this for you. Any takers?

Personally, I go for healers, then any AoE, then casters, and finally melee. I'm a tank, getting hit is my job.

Comment

If I was able to create a macro target, it probably would be easier to do it that way. I also have a Paladin tank, and it's a completely different play-style from a Warrior. As a Warrior, you constantly have to be pulling the mobs in a certain range and make sure you're causing enough threat to handle people who can dish out 5k DPS. Paladin you simply Concecrate with (I forget the name of the spell that generates X amount of threat from Holy spells) and it'll do the work for you.

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by cabby View Post

How does it work
                    ? like when you are at the AH or looking at quest rewards does it tell you witch would be best to get

Comment

Sorta. When it says +stamina or +defense rating or +parry rating, it's probably good tank gear :-P.

Comment

Originally posted by eddiez78 View Post
                        How does it work
                        ? like when you are at the AH or looking at quest rewards does it tell you witch would be best to get
                        As you look at armor in the AH, you'll see things like
                        Burgermeisters plate armbands of the <xxxxxxx>

The <xxxxxxx> is Owl, Elder, Bear, Champion, Gorilla, etc. As a warrior you'll be wearing mail until 40 then plate. As a warrior tank, you're going to want +defense, +stamina, then +strength. Look at an item of each <xxxxxx> name until you find the one that has the type of stats you're looking for. Then filter for it in the AH search box. The agility stuff is generally rogue / hunter and it won't do you a lot of good but if you're wearing a piece of armor that's 10 levels below you and none of your normal type is available, a cheap placeholder at your current level that's +sta / + agi or +str / +agi could tide you over since you'd be getting a base armor increase anyway.

At 80 for the heroic instances if you haven't reached the def cap, the healers will have a hard time keeping you alive.

Comment

TankPoints uses a very simple system. In the item tooltip you'll see a TankPoints line with a number. If the number is green it means it will be an upgrade and if it's red then it's not an upgrade. It primarily looks at tanking stats on an item to come up with the number, things like Sta, Str, dodge, block, etc.
                          My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

I got ya thanks guys

Comment

I have a similar question RE: Warriors - I get the part about what stats you're looking for and why, my question goes more towards weapons and the talent tree.

I'm looking to tank (big surprise there ) and can see how I'd most need an Axe (he's an orc) and Shield combo - so will the Dual wield specialization in the talent tree help me at all? Or is there something better I can put those five points in? I'm currently following the build suggested by Zygor - Fury Leveling. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Comment

Working...
                              X