OR

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hotkey for the current step's quest item.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hotkey for the current step's quest item.

I think it would speed up leveling a little bit if the in-game addon had a hotkey you could set for the current step's quest item.

Before you brush it off and say "All you have to do is click it in the addon window," hear me out. It's the same logic as not having to click to advance steps like you used to have to do with the older addons when they first came out. Hotkeys save time, pure and simple. If you spend a couple seconds clicking a button out of the addon when you could just hotkey the same step and multiply that over all the quest items in the game... we're talking a good chunk of time.

Anyway..... just a suggestion. Thanks for the guide! Just got my eighth character to 80 last night.

I dont think its a bad idea, however my hotkeys are used for things that I commonly use, and the need to use a quest item is not frequent enough for me to want this feature.
    Again, not a bad idea, just not one I'd want myself.
    "The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas."

Comment

Maybe a definable hot key... for the current step. On some quests (ie. after killing so and so mob, apply this wand), I just click on the mini-icon in the guide... however for others (ie. while flying target mobs below with this item repeatedly to kill 50 of them), I open my bags, find the item and drop it onto my '=' key - a slot I reserve for quest items I need to use quickly.

If a hot key wasn't easy to define, how about making it so we could 'drag' the icon like it was in bag into a slot? Right now you can click on the icon, but if you want to drag it into a action bar slot, you have to do that from a bag.
      * Signature to be Updated at a later time *

Comment

With Bartender4, Voltec's idea can work very easily.

Bartender not only assists with placement, size, and other "physical" attibutes of the action bars, but also permits easy keybinding. And this keybinding stays with the particular slot, whether or not an item/spell/command/macro actually occupies that slot.

So it would be easy to pick a particular slot on a particular bar and designate that for the hot item of the quest. Then bind the key or key combo of your choice.

So far, the micro-icon in the guide has worked just fine for my use. I like the fact that it is included here and clickable. It makes working that quest a simple affair since I don't have to spend time wondering why I'm not getting a completion message all because I forgot the key item is in my bags, sitting there unused.

So, to the OP, I like your idea, but I don't see this being a Zygor thing as much as doing something like Voltec and I suggest.

Comment

The best thing that I think Zygor could do to make it much easier for us is to make the mini-icon draggable into a action bar (which would include a bartender bar)... right now it's only 'click-able'. With it as it is, we have to open our bags, find the item and drag it from there.
          * Signature to be Updated at a later time *

Comment

One option might be an auto-updating Macro that "uses" the current quest item. Multiple macros could be created for steps requiring multiple items.

These macros, once first created, could then easily be dropped to any toolbar, or bound to any key to suit the user.

The main caveat would be that such macros can only be updated out of combat.

Comment

A draggable micro-icon from the addon would be a reasonable middle ground if a hotkey isn't doable. I already currently have a slot where I move quest items with a hotkey ("Q"). It would speed things up if I could move directly from the addon without hunting the item down in my bag, but not as much as a built-in hotkey, I think.

Comment

+1 to the draggable mini-icon!

I love it when devious minds work together!

Comment

Don't mess with the zygor button. As it is, it can be placed anywhere, can be turned off and you can bind a key to toggling display of the guides. I've bound mine to Ctrl-Shift-Z. If you think you need more, I'd classify you as bloody unreasonable.
                  QQ

The CIA deliberately spread misinformation that tin-foil hats prevent mind control.
                  The horrible truth is, that tinfoil hats enable mind control.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

They're not talking about the mini map button but the small item button that's inside the guide window that you click to use items in your bag.
                    My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Oh, I'd love the ability to keybind that action. Carbonite handles that even without having access to a current step.

Shouldn't be that hard to do - if you can bind a mouse click, then you can certainly bind a key. If there's a usable item displayed in the current step, then use the key. If not, then ignore the key.

You could even walk down the list of items and see if an item is relevant for this location, and allow it if it is - that's how Carbonite does it.
                      QQ

The CIA deliberately spread misinformation that tin-foil hats prevent mind control.

Comment

That's basically all I'd want, one button that cascades down the list of quest items on the current step. I'm going to try out Qbar which will let you do a keybind for the last quest item you used, but I'd prefer not to have to use another addon if I can avoid it. It seems like Carbonite will do exactly what I'm looking for, but it's too heavy an addon to just get a keybind.

Comment

Go to wowinterface and look at QuestClicks. I haven't tried it myself - yet.

It does not seem to have support for keybinds, but the author seems responsive. If enough suggestions are made ...
                          QQ

Comment

Another one,QuestItemBar, seems to have keybindings, but they are more or less listed as not satisfactory by the author.
                            Note: The copies on wowinterface and wowace are obsolete.
                            QQ

Comment

Working...
                            X