OR

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has your customer database been compromised?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has your customer database been compromised?

I'm not sure where to post this so I'll try here , I've tried emailing but I have not had a responce.

I have for many many years used a simple but fool proof system using my own custom domains for providing any online vendor with a unique email address.

That way if I start to receive unwanted email I can simply turn it off, or in this case if I recieve an undesirable email from an unknown source, the address the culprit sent it too will tell me where is orginated from.

On the 15/03/2011 I received a very well done but fake email from blizzard with one of the usual scams. in this case telling me it had come to there attention I was trying to sell my WoW account and surprise surprise - i would need to follow the link and log into my account ASAP.

Needless to say I was not taken in and quick poke around the underlying html code showed where the link was really trying to take me - battlecatatest dot net.

The sender was "benjamin-gerber dot web dot de; on behalf of; Blizzard Entertainment <noreply dot blizzard dot com>" (spoofed I assume, and sloppy)

All of that was easy to spot and avoid but the really worrying thing was this was mailed to my zygor@mycustomdomain so it can only of originated for here or citybank as they are the only places this email address has ever been used...

So either Zygor are passing there mailing list to less than desirable people, or somewhere it has been compromised, at least thats how it looks like to me.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I have not received any spam like that so my best guess is that the database was not compromised. These people that try to hack accounts will use software to come up with all sorts of email addresses, real or not. If you've used that same domain at other sites, once they have a domain it's not hard to do random generation of possible email addresses at that particular domain, and if you've got zygor in the email name, well let's just say that zygor and wow go hand in hand.
    My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

If you get spam and phishing mails to any adress on this domain it is very likely that they also use the "zygor@" to send fake Blizzard mails as many people use such mail addresses for registration.

Comment

It is entirely possible someone got lucky and paired one of my domains with zygor, but in doing so you would have thought they would try for a positive on any keyword that relates to Blizzard, of which I have a few other address, on which I have not received any spam or scam email.

I'm pretty sure Zygor would not willing hand over my email address so I still have reservations about how this happened.

From my point of view I would like to shut down this address and use a differnet one associated with this account but there does not seem to be a mechanism for doing this on the profile management page.

Is there any way the email address associated with an account can be changed?

Thanks

Comment

You'd have to send an email to zygor @ zygorguides dot com and he'd be able to do it manually. As far as I know it's the only way to get the email associated with your account here changed.
          My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

To the best of my understandings,
            The people/s whom try to steal active World of Warcraft accounts (or Phishers), have one goal; to take your account. Popular sites often sell customer emails in mas to phisher companies. If I know correctly, Zygor does not sell customer emails to such companies. It is very possible that this company tries to email in mass to randomly generated emails like Zygor @ *random* dot Com. Your domain could have fell in the random generated part. I recommended contacting the administrator of Zygor by emailing zygor @ zygorguides dot com and let him know of your situation. He should also be able to give a little more insite than I can.

Thank You for being a great Zygor Customer!,
            Garrett30328
            Character Progress....
            8[u][b]5[/b][/u] Shammy
            80 Druid
            80 Death Knight
            80 Pally

Comment

Working...
            X