Multiple computers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple computers?

So, I've been meaning to ask this... but first here is some background.

When notes first came out for your friends list, I immediately abused this feature in order to solve my "I play on a bunch of computers, how do I keep all my guides in sync" issue. Basically, it uses my first friend in my list (which I now keep as my bank) to store the current step and section.

So if I log in with my laptop and play, and then log in later on my desktop, the steps are automatically synced. A dirty fix for my problem, but a fix none the less.

My question is: Is there a less haxish/"that's not what that is for" method of doing this, without having to manually sync files over something like drop box?

We will look into this, but my immediate thought it that this will be hard to accomplish. The "hack" you are using now works because the information is stored on Blizzards server, whereas our guides are stored on your hard drive and Blizzard doesn't allow addons to communicate outside of the game.
    Become a Fan of Zygor Guides on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zygor-...04933799556988

Follow Zygor Guides on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/zygorguides

Comment

Right. I was just wondering if you knew of a place that Blizz allowed addons to store information on their servers. I suppose you guys would already have done that if there was, but I was just hoping. Especially with V2 of the guide coming out
      Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by popupman View Post
        Right. I was just wondering if you knew of a place that Blizz allowed addons to store information on their servers. I suppose you guys would already have done that if there was, but I was just hoping. Especially with V2 of the guide coming out
        Thanks for the reply.
        Don't give up hope. This is something we will try our best to address.
        Become a Fan of Zygor Guides on Facebook:
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zygor-...04933799556988

Follow Zygor Guides on Twitter:
        http://twitter.com/zygorguides

Comment

I know you guys will ^_^
          You guys are great, and for now my work around works perfectly as I never ever had a use for notes anyway.

Comment

I don't know for sure, but you could check out an application called 'drop box'.

http://www.getdropbox.com/

It is free, and works very well. I have used it in the past to keep a central copy of auctioneer files. You can also use it for stuff outside of wow. Its a very sweet app.

*EDIT*
            I always manually downloaded the files, but I found an article where a guy made it seemless with dropbox and a sysinternals application can't wait to try this!!!

{

I frequently play WoW during my lunch break at work, so it’s important for me to be able to keep my addons and all of their saved state synchronized between my systems at work and at home. I’ve started using Dropbox (getdropbox.com) for this, and it is absolutely incredible.

Dropbox essentially creates a directory inside your “My Documents” that automatically gets synchronized over the internet. Just install Dropbox on the computers you want to sync the files to and log in to your Dropbox account, and it automatically does the rest of it.

The only painful part is setting it up so that WoW looks in your dropbox for your AddOns and WTF folders. For that I use Microsoft’s “Junction” tool that is part of sysinternals (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896768.aspx). I created a “WoW” directory in “My Dropbox”, moved my AddOns and WTF folders into that, then run the following commands from inside that WoW directory:
            junction.exe “C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns” AddOns
            junction.exe “C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WTF” WTF

That creates links to the AddOns and WTF directories that point WoW to the directories in “My Dropbox”. Now, any time I update my AddOns or play the game and in some way change some of the saved variables in my WTF directory it is automatically saved up to Dropbox’s servers and synchronized to my other computer without me having to think about it. Even if you’re not at a computer that has Dropbox installed, you can log in to your account on their website and download an entire directory from your dropbox as a .zip file from there.

One caveat – when you install a WoW patch it seems to always destroy the symbolic links to the Dropbox directories. After installing a patch, I always have to go to my World of Warcraft directory, delete the “WTF” directory, create a new “Interface” directory, then run the junction commands again (I keep them in a .bat file in “My Dropbox\WoW” to make it easy).

src - http://bit.ly/4dsvLr
            }

Thx,

Wachu

Comment

Looks cool. Definately going to have to play with this (ofc, the ideal solution is still to just store it on Blizz's servers as it means updates won't break it, but I guess we can't have everything!). I will probably end up sticking with my "set it as a friends note and have the guide pull it from there and update there automatically" method, but thanks for the post! Didn't know about sysinternals at all; excited to give it a try.

Comment

LiveMesh

I use Windows Live Mesh to keep my WTF and AddOn folders in sync across multiple computers.

This also works well because I also use AzerothAdvisor but only install it on a single machine (so when my .lua files get moved back from another computer, it updates automatically).

The syncronization is automatic and if there is an issue (you tried to play on both computers at the same time) you can select which copy of the files to keep.

http://www.livemesh.com/

Comment

Can you sync just the one file? I only want the Zygor settings file to be synced because syncing the other stuff screws things up on my different computers. I have UI modifications on my laptop because the screen is smaller and when I sync those to my desktop it really messes things up.

Comment

@ wachuwamekil: MANY thanks for telling me about Junction. I had no idea it even existed! And now that I've stopped being stubborn and tried it, I'm certainly liking the results!

To anyone who is interested in setting this up and is using Vista or Win 7, I'm posting a zip with Junction and a batch file

The dropbox installer ( http://getdropbox.com youll need this to make it useful!), Junction.exe (the windows program that allows us to do this, get it here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896768.aspx if you don't want to trust my version) and a batch file that runs all the commands for you so you don't have to figure it out yourself (not that it is complicated...) (It makes your Interface folder and WTF folder sync)

To use junction, you will need to first run Junction.exe and agree to the terms and what not... then just run the batch file.

A few things to note about running this batch file:
                    WoW must be installed here: C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft
                    And you must install Dropbox in the default location:
                    To make this useful at all, you will need to download Dropbox and install it ( http://getdropbox.com ). It doesn't matter if you install dropbox first or not, but there really is not point in doing this if you don't get dropbox!

Batch file source:

Code:
                    mkdir "%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Dropbox\"
                    move "C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\WTF" "%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Dropbox\WTF"
                    move "C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\Interface" "%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Dropbox\Interface"
                    junction.exe "C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\Interface" "%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Dropbox\Interface"
                    junction.exe "C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\WTF" "%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Dropbox\WTF"
                    To confirm (if you don't trust me ...) right click the batch file, Open With, and choose either WordPad or Notepad .. or anything really that can handle plain text files.

I will be trying the Windows Live Mesh next, but Junction seemed faster to setup as I already had a dropbox account
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by popupman; October 26, 2009, 04:52 PM. Reason: Attachement issues!

Comment

Since I already had a Windows Live ID I looked into the Live Mesh stuff and it looks like it will be a pain to get setup. It appears that you have to create each individual folder and then upload files. For simplicity's sake I'd say stick with the DropBox and Junction option for ease of use.
                      My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Originally posted by cabby View Post
                        Since I already had a Windows Live ID I looked into the Live Mesh stuff and it looks like it will be a pain to get setup. It appears that you have to create each individual folder and then upload files. For simplicity's sake I'd say stick with the DropBox and Junction option for ease of use.
                        LiveMesh will sync subfolders and I don't care if my UI settings are sync'd between machines.

I created 2 folders in LiveMesh: Interface\AddOns and WTF\Account

The Interface\AddOns folder keeps all my addons updated
                        The WTF\Account folder keeps all my UI & character data updated.

If you didnt' want to sync all the customization data, you could sync WTF\Account\<AccountName>\SavedVariables

That would sync all the global variables (like ZygorGuides) without compromizing your per-character config.

Comment

Working...
                        X