This will make you laugh and cry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This will make you laugh and cry

I have 11 60+ characters and all of them hacked 1 deleted and al picked clean of items.

two hours after i discovered this my wow Authenticator arrived in the mail

Ouch Blizzard has gotten good at sorting it out again though. Seen an influx of hacking lately, two of my guildmates hacked in the last 2 weeks.

Comment

OH MY GOODNESS! That's just.... I can't even find the words to describe how awful and messed up that is.

I was so nervous about that happening before I got mine. Especially since this one person acted real strange with me. He came up to me saying: "Do you want some gold? I HAVE HEAPS" So, I told him sure cause I was playing a new toon (on a new realm and ally instead of horde) and why not - a lot of higher levels have "heaps" of gold. I thought he was being nice to low levels and helping them out. I assumed he was going to open up a trade window right there but no.... he told me he'd be right back. Which I thought was a little weird but then I thought that maybe he had to go get it from the guild bank. I got suspicious at this point. Well, he comes back minutes later and tells me that he sent it to me in the mail. He said he sent me 3g 2s 1c. Now, first of all, that number is just weird. What's he counting down to? lol Also, I doubt you can hack an account by sending someone something in the mail but I still didn't want to trust anything. And sorry, 3 gold is nothing. lol I thought if there was any way to do it (especially since someone had just told me they got hacked by someone giving them gold through a trade window), there was no way I was opening that mail before my authenticator came. I still haven't. Also, the person that told me they were hacked through a trade window.... I think they're mistaken. There's no way and they bought gold. lol So... I can't see how an account could be hacked like that but... Seriously, isn't that just flat-out weird?

Anyway, I'm really sorry about your account.
      80 Tauren Hunter - 75 Blood Elf Paladin - 54 Tauren Druid - 47 Undead Mage - 25 Dwarf Paladin - 26 Human Mage

Comment

Originally posted by malonstorm View Post
        I have 11 60+ characters and all of them hacked 1 deleted and al picked clean of items.

Please let the forum know if this was resolved by Blizzard, how well they resolved it (returned items and gold, etc), and how you would recommend proceeding if this happened to you again, knowing what you know now.
        "The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas."

Comment

wow, sorry to hear about that

I had never heard of an account being hacked by trade window or the in-game mail and I am unsure how that works. Part of the game security is that no one knows your account name ... all they see is your toon name. Since I own my own domain(s) I simply created two new email addresses for WoW and that way no one knows my WoW account simply by reading forums. Think about it ... WoW forums where you have your email address ... battle.net moving to forced email addresses ...

If you are a hacker you simply farm email addresses from WoW forums and *bam* you have 1/2 the login info required already. Now you simply need to try to hack the account password. If you see an account setup with the authenticator move on to the next email address in your list. Simple as that.

Now, one of my friends got an in-game mail last night about how he won a x-mas pet. All he had to do was goto this URL and fill out the info so that it would be mailed to him. When he looked at the URL it was an exact copy of the battle.net login but at a different URL. We looked at the whois info and everything was jibberish (whereas you can tell battle.net belongs to Blizzard) so he did the "make a copy of this letter" and deleted the in-game mail. Then he submitted a ticket. I swear it was less then an hour later a GM came to him and was asking questions. So they (Blizzard) are taking this stuff seriously. In the end since my friend deleted the mail Blizzard could not get details, it seems the make a copy does not keep all of the same info as the mail itself. So if you get one of these emails DON'T delete it, instead submit a ticket and let the GMs have it
          Cairne Realm
          Main: 100 Human Prot Pally
          Alt#1: 100 Tauren Resto Druid
          Alt#2: 60 Dwarf Beast Hunter

Comment

Another thing to watch out for, I was in an random dungeon and got a pst that said hello, followed by an apparent pst from a game master that my account was being temporarily suspended and to go to some bogus almost WOW URLfor more details. It was all just careful formatting of the pst from the original random named hello. I reported as spam and opened a ticket, but have not heard back yet.
            Last edited by taitglen; January 1, 2010, 10:21 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Ouch! I'm sorry to hear about the hack.. I used to use the Blizzard authenticator, but I know people who have been hacked even with that. If you have a decent cell phone like an iPhone or such, there is a software authenticator you can download for free which is more secure than the keyfob version.

I hope you're able to get your stuff back. :-(

-G

Comment

Originally posted by malonstorm View Post

Man that's awful! Sorry to hear it, and I do hope Blizzard sort things out for you.

I've been receiving an influx of email lately from bogus Blizzard sites, ever since I started playing again (nothing for the 18 months I wasn't playing!). I don't know why that's happening all of a sudden...
                Proud noob, opinionated nerd, and asker of obvious questions.

Main: Reliq (DK - 85).
                Alts: Baym (Paladin - 85), Aotearoa (Priest - 85), Selleck (Hunter), Reliqa (Warrior)

Comment

This has got me quite worried. It seems alot of people have had this happen. What is pillaging, how do they get your account? Tell you to go to a fake website?
                  What is the Authenticator?

Comment

Originally posted by hakomar View Post
                    This has got me quite worried. It seems alot of people have had this happen. What is pillaging, how do they get your account? Tell you to go to a fake website?
                    What is the Authenticator?
                    Go to the thread:
                    http://www.zygorguides.com/forum/sho...ticator&page=4
                    "The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas."

Comment

Working...
                    X