need help finding cave entrance / gathering zones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help finding cave entrance / gathering zones

I am a huge fan of your wonderful guide from way back and am impressed/pleased at how you keep working to improve it. Two places where I repeatedly get lost are:

1) when going underground the guide always tells me where I need to be, but often gives no clue about where the cave (etc) entrance is. Even giving the coordinates in the text would be sufficient.

2) when leveling professions that have an optional gathering component it is wonderful that the guide gives the option of doing self gathering, but it goes directly from the trainer, say in stormwind, to the collecting without even telling me what zone I am going to. I freely admit that I am easily confused, and if the info is there it is subtle and I keep missing it. This is NOT your farming section, which I have no issues with and which I end up using. But I WANT to use the in-profession gathering because it tracks what I still need for leveling my particular toon.

It sounds like you have the Travel System turned off in the guide options. If you had the Travel System turned on our arrow would direct you to those different places (such as cave entrances) without the need of extra steps or tip text.
    My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Originally posted by cabby View Post
      It sounds like you have the Travel System turned off in the guide options. If you had the Travel System turned on our arrow would direct you to those different places (such as cave entrances) without the need of extra steps or tip text.
      That statement is not completely true. (1) It does not always lead to the entrances. Many times it points to the NPC deep with a cave, mine, tower, building, etc. (2) The second part of that statement is totally wrong. The reason is that the Travel System arrow cannot know the differences in Z-coordinates. It doesn't know altitude, level, or depth in the game. And, because it doesn't (can't), it is therefore extremely helpful to have the "extra steps or tip text" which you said is unnecessary. BTW, even when the step text is included, it isn't always correct. For instance, I just found a statement that said "Enter the cave at..." when it wasn't a cave at all, but was actually a mine! Neither did that quest arrow point to the "mine" entrance, but rather to a spot deep within it.

In any event, the Travel System works "most of the time," and is usually quite helpful.

EDITED: After posting my comments, I found the follow post by Myrroddin just a few minutes ago. It was posted 4 days ago, and it says almost exactly what I was pointing out.

http://www.zygorguides.com/forum/sho...ng-Suggestions
      Last edited by kreelor; August 18, 2013, 11:04 AM. Reason: Found another post to substantiate my points.

Comment

I was responding the the main concerns the OP had.

His first concern was that there was no directions for cave entrances. The Travel System should be directing everyone to the cave entrances when it's enabled. If it is not then that is a bug that no one has reported for us to fix. So this means you are misinterpreting a bug in the system as it just not being there and giving a false impression kreelor.

His second concern was about not being directed to the proper zone for the professions farming routes. Again, when the Travel System is turned on it should direct you there without any problems and no need for extra steps to get you to where you're going.

Nowhere was anything about the issues that every single arrow has with the Z axis in game, so why you felt the need to say my reply was wrong based on a Z axis thing that affects very few coordinates is beyond me. Do you just enjoy trying to complain about anything even when it's not really part of the discussion?

Comment

Originally posted by cabby View Post
          I was responding the the main concerns the OP had.

His first concern was that there was no directions for cave entrances. The Travel System should be directing everyone to the cave entrances when it's enabled. If it is not then that is a bug that no one has reported for us to fix. So this means you are misinterpreting a bug in the system as it just not being there and giving a false impression kreelor.

His second concern was about not being directed to the proper zone for the professions farming routes. Again, when the Travel System is turned on it should direct you there without any problems and no need for extra steps to get you to where you're going.

Nowhere was anything about the issues that every single arrow has with the Z axis in game, so why you felt the need to say my reply was wrong based on a Z axis thing that affects very few coordinates is beyond me. Do you just enjoy trying to complain about anything even when it's not really part of the discussion?
          kjela wrote:
          "1) when going underground the guide always tells me where I need to be, but often gives no clue about where the cave (etc) entrance is. Even giving the coordinates in the text would be sufficient."
          I've encountered his issue many times, and for me (and maybe him too) the issue related to whether or not the 'entrance' was at ground level or 1/2 way up a mountain, etc. That's why I mentioned Z-factors. I also mentioned them because he also mentioned the step-text. If those existed in steps and if they were worded correctly, it would help immensely to reduce confusion.

About my frequent posting which have complaints:

Am I to understand that this forum is here merely for people to give nothing but constant praise to Zygor Guides, and not to complain when a number of things are failures, broken, misleading, or just plain oversights --- any of which shouldn't be in the guides? At least, my complaining "could" help improve the guide, if anybody at Zygor had the desire to do so. Cabby, how many times have I noticed that you have replied to all kinds of posters (and, not just to my complaints) "... this will be added to the list to be looked at," etc. HUNDREDS! If those people (or I) hadn't pointed out mistakes or confusion about issues they've found, how would the 'team' know to find them on a "List", whether they ever fix anything, or not?

If the observations and complaints that I and other users report on this forum aren't welcome, then why not destroy the "list" and stop sending new issues to it? You certainly don't send posts which have no problems or issues of complaint (but include only posts of praise) to the developers!

Comment

When I read the OP I didn't read in anything about entrances half way up the hill or anything like that. All I saw in that was that the arrow was pointing to the NPC or final destination with no indication at all for where the entrance is located.

Also, please note the smiley with my comment about your complaints. If there were really any problems with you constantly complaining then you probably would have been kicked off the forums. I only joked with you about the complaints because it seems like 99% of your posts are complaints of some type.

And the devs do see all the posts made on here (Zygor Admin checks them all). The only reason you see me constantly posting about the bugs being added to the list to be looked at is so you and others don't feel like we're ignoring you. It would be really easy for me to just put the bugs on the list and move on to look at the next post without a reply but then we'd start to see comments about how we don't respond to anyone and ignore our customers.

Comment

To clear this up, the old way Zygor used to work was to direct you literally with an arrow 8,000 yards away, which naturally isnt helpful. So to compensate, 'mini steps' had to be written for each step to direct you where you needed to go (ie. from Stormwind, take the portal to the Badlands in the mage tower, then go through the Dark Portal, then take the griffin to X location, then manually run the rest of the way).

Since then, the new method is the travel system where all of these manual steps no longer have to be input for each step, instead, each step gives the travel system your goal location and the travel system then automatically directs you to your location based on where you are currently at, much like a gps system works, even if you make a wrong turn, it automatically redirects you because it really doesnt care where you are, its concerned about getting you to where you need to be.

This allows for a much more dynamic and flexible system without duplication of code (ie, you are in Zangarmarsh and you decide to hearth to Stormwind to flaunt your shiny new mount and then decide to go back to questing, the travel system can handle this because it is dynamic - ie. like a gps, can get you back on track regardless of the location you were 'supposed' to be in).

When dealing with a cave, if you are standing 50 yards outside a cave, a step directing you to kill an npc inside the cave literally contains all of the information for the travel system to take over, ie. the travel system first will get you to the entrance of the cave, then it will direct you (once you are inside) in a very vague general sense to where you need to go.

It sounds like, as originally stated, that you dont have the travel system enabled as (with exception to under a handful of cave quests), it always leads to the cave entrance for me.

Your second issue is very much related to the first, it sounds like the travel system isnt filling in the gaps like it should, you probably need to enable it.
              Last edited by littlewierdo; August 27, 2013, 07:04 AM.
              Race and Class: Dwarven Priest Character Name: Jacq US server: Cenarion Circle
              Primary Spec: Shadow Secondary Spec: Discipline

Comment

Originally posted by littlewierdo View Post
                When dealing with a cave, if you are standing 50 yards outside a cave, a step directing you to kill an npc inside the cave literally contains all of the information for the travel system to take over, ie. the travel system first will get you to the entrance of the cave, then it will direct you (once you are inside) in a very vague general sense to where you need to go.
                I only see this work on caves that have their own map (like many of the Pandaria caves).
                For those caves that have no map (pressing "m" will bring up the zone map) I only saw what you describe on one occasion in Loch Modan (but at that time this travel system feature about subzones was new and was not working 100%).
                For other caves steps to enter and leave the cave still seem to be necessary. Or am I missing this because I use a German WoW client and this only works on English WoW?

Comment

Working...
                X