Other guide got me hacked...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other guide got me hacked...?

About a week ago, I purchased a competitor's 'dungeon' leveling guide. I installed it and was off. I disabled Zygor's and starting using the other guide. Then this morning, I woke up and found that my account had been hacked . I uninstalled all addons, ran my antivirus/antispyware software, changed e-mail passwords, did a password recovery on battle.net, and changed my WoW password. I opened a ticked w/ a gm in hopes of getting my gold/gear back (they stripped my 80's naked and sold off the gear).

Anywho... I'm thinking it was the other guide for a few reasons:

This computer is < three months old, I got it almost exclusivly for WoW
    The only addons I use are Zygor's and recently the other guide
    I don't even open phishing e-mails, let alone open the links
    My account was hacked less than week after installing other guide
    Antivirus hasn't found anything since I deleted all addon software/folders/files

Sorry for the rant. Hopefully will be able to recover gold and items. While I can't definitivly prove it was the other guide, I feel I have good reason to believe so. Buyer beware, I guess.
    Lifetime Natural Bodybuilder

Current Weight: 222
    Goal Weight: 198
    16 Weeks til WI State Fair Bodybuilding
    22 Weeks til NANBF Badger Classic

The "other" guide will get you hacked just as much as Zygor's will... it's not the fault of the guide or the Add-on used for the guide.

it doesn't matter how new your computer is, or if you only run 1 (or even 0) addons. Your account can get hacked. If it was the guide that did it, you would see lots and lots of people complaining about being hacked due to the guide, not just the ones here and there. Yes, these complaints are posted at both Zygors & the other's websites, but there are not enough of them to justify the guides being at fault.

If you really ant to check, look at the LUA code, your account details are in captured by the addons, so they can't cause a hack.

It sucks you got hacked, and I hope you are able to get everything back. Good luck!

You have seen where WoW accounts got hacked due to a bug in Adobe Flash & Adobe Reader right? both of which are usually installed on all new computers...

Comment

Did u use the same password for ur wow account and the new guide u got?
      I read a few noobs that got hacked they used the same emails and passwords as they wow account?
      And I was jacked a while ago but it was just a random atk and my password wasn't small or ez to guess like some ppl that use small passwords lol!
      If u don't have an authenicator GET one!
      And for a fast recovery CALL blizzard and they will at least unlock ur account if it's not alrdy!
      LIGHTINGHOOF-US-RPPVP
      Dwarf Shaman-Shamme 90 Elemental/Resto
      Nelf Rouge-Legolys 90 Sub/Ass
      Pandarian Monk-Phood 90 Windwalker/Brewmaster
      Nelf Druid-Ornek 85 Boomkin/Bear
      Nelf DK-Zgknight 85 Blood/NA
      Draenei Hunter-Bowz 85 MM/Survival
      Worgen Priest-Loyder 85 Disc/Shadow
      Gnome Warlock-Lotzadots 85 Destro/NA
      Dwarf Paladin-Buradin 85 Prot/Ret
      Gnome Mage-Zygors 70 Arcane/NA
      Nelf Warrior-Talifan 61 Prot/NA

Comment

If it helps, most ppl that get their accounts restored come back to a lot more gold than they left with.
        "The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas."

Comment

Yea I had 18k then came back to 33k and dbl every item they sent to my warlock and tryd to account xfer him
          aftern sellnthe extra stuff had 55k gold
          LIGHTINGHOOF-US-RPPVP

Comment

Got me 2!!

Originally posted by nin88 View Post
            Did u use the same password for ur wow account and the new guide u got?
            I read a few noobs that got hacked they used the same emails and passwords as they wow account?
            And I was jacked a while ago but it was just a random atk and my password wasn't small or ez to guess like some ppl that use small passwords lol!
            If u don't have an authenicator GET one!
            And for a fast recovery CALL blizzard and they will at least unlock ur account if it's not alrdy!

I've been playing for a few years and none of my passwords were the same. Sure enough some jackass hacked my WoW account and proceeded to sello my stuff! I logged onto a seperate account and was able to track the whereabouts of my toon (yeah the hacker was running a dungeon with it...lol) while I was on the phone with Blizz! The hacker actually used an authenticator to lock me out of my account...AUTHENTICATORS WORK!!! So once I got the situation handled through Blizz, I got myself an Authenticator, and haven't had any worries since

Comment

Yea they added one on my account to but a mobile one so they don't waste 6.50$ on the hack lol
              but I got lucky and they didn't sell my resto gear on my lvl 71 shammy at the time so I lvld him forthe week I was not able to use my mains!
              But I have 2 accounts and they stole everythig and tryd to xfer my lok with everything to one of there accounts to sell or something b/c he had all his gear still but he was froze in the mid of the xfer so I couldn't use him for a week but it took blizzard only a week to retrieve everything and since my lol was froze they didn't see he had all my gold/items from my other toons so I had 300 epic gems 40 artic furs and tons of herbs/skins!
              LIGHTINGHOOF-US-RPPVP

Comment

With that said, Nin, Id like to make sure this is posted; its pretty important....

Everyone, please make sure you have a copy of the WoW code (SN) used, and the SN of the authenticator.
                Now, Im not sure if there is some kind of SN with the mobile version, but the keyfob has it.
                This is what I have been told happens; When you get hacked and the dirbags put another authenticator on your account, Blizzard will ask you for the codes used, both the CD code, and the authenticator code (SN). If you have them, your account will be at least opened up for you again. I have heard stories that it helps them verify you got hacked, and lets them restore your account much faster.

Remember, the code you use to activate both WoW and the authenticator... write them down and store them in a safe place.

If you dont have an authenticator by now..... why?
                "The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas."

Comment

They didn't ask or anything from me!
                  Just my secret question and my info but she new my account was froze for spamming and the unatharised character transfer so she unlocked my account for me and tada!

But a guidie got screwed and didn't no that autenicator info And had to wait for everything my email :S
                  so like kam said GET AN AUTHENICATOR if u don't have one alrdy!!!

And keep all ur info inside ur wow game cases and use different passwords from ur wow account an the email account for wow!
                  Bc if I were the hacker I'd try to change the email password too so it'd make it harder for them to catch me and take longer for u to notice
                  (I'm not evil just SMRT)
                  LIGHTINGHOOF-US-RPPVP