New Zygor guide with Heirlooms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rkb8864 View Post
    I suppose it could be set up in the guide that after the quest it tells you to pick up, it could have "(chain)" behind it to let the person know that it is part of a quest chain, or "(needed)" if the quest is needed to open other quests down the line (quests that are not actually part of a "chain", but needed to pick up the quest from the NPC that you turn it in to, if that makes any sense).

eh, just my 2 bits on the idea.

really like this idea as i also like to play the BG's and some instances while i'm lvling to break the boredom so i end up ahead of the guid(at lvl 50 i was 5 lvls ahead and was a pain when i just skipped the 5 lvls in the guid) would have been great to know with out looking up each one if it was a chained one or not

Comment

Originally posted by buckynaked View Post
      I just have to keep my gold production up with my main, other alts, and my bank toons so that I can fly when I get to Outlands and Northrend to increase the speed.
      I have to agree on the gold production!!!! Speed levelling two toons from 1 to 45 has really hurt the pocket book. Learning spells, professions and normal/epic ground mounts has drained all but my banker toon. Even trying to use the profs to make coinage is hard since they level sooo fast the skill levels fall behind. Well, once we get levels up we can go back and play catchup I guess
      Cairne Realm
      Main: 100 Human Prot Pally
      Alt#1: 100 Tauren Resto Druid
      Alt#2: 60 Dwarf Beast Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by rkb8864 View Post
        I suppose it could be set up in the guide that after the quest it tells you to pick up, it could have "(chain)" behind it to let the person know that it is part of a quest chain, or "(needed)" if the quest is needed to open other quests down the line (quests that are not actually part of a "chain", but needed to pick up the quest from the NPC that you turn it in to, if that makes any sense).

eh, just my 2 bits on the idea.
        This would be an awsome improvement and it would help out people who:
        - only play rested
        - grind/farm besides questing
        - do pvp or instances
        - use heirlooms (10 or 20%)
        - are just ahead of the guide

However you would also need to have the questname in the steps where you need to do things - or maybe even a check if you actually grabbed that quest? If you don't have it and are on this step it'll just skip it or be yellow or something?

Comment

"The time you need to kill a mob doesn't change your xp gained. You should kill a mob in 2 seconds or 2 hours but that mob will always gives you 100xp (example).
          in the other side heirloom chest and shoulder give a boost to the xp gained.
          So a player with +20% exp will have some problems (not so much) following the guide step by step cause he will gain more xp from quests and mobs."

I didn't say full heirlooms gives you more XP.. I said it makes you level faster. Learn to Read

lets say you need to kill 20 mobs for a quest. If I can kill 1 mob every 5 seconds (looting/travelling between mobs) I will get my quest done in just under 2 minutes. You, with the standard weapons, possibly a gren with aquest reward will take maybe twice as long to kill those same mobs so your quest will take 4 minutes. Also, if you're a mana user, you will cast more spells and hence use more mana to kill the same mob, and hence have to stop more often to drink.

So me with full heirlooms or you with just the xp heirlooms.. who will get to 80 first? ....

Comment

It takes 26,206,500 XP to get to 80.

Getting a 20% bonus on XP you earn would be like needing to "earn" only 21,838,750 XP, because that number plus 20% of that number is 26,206,500.

That number, 21,838,750, occurs at a bit over 1/3 of the way into Level 77. That does not necessarily mean that you will hit 80 when the Guide says you should be 77. You could hit 80 when the Guide says 76 or 78, maybe even 75 (assuming you started at the beginning of the Guide with a new character, did nothing extra, and skipped nothing).

The Guide thinks you are earning the quest reward XP that you should be earning if you turn in quests while at the level the Guide says you should be when you turn them in. But because you are actually getting more XP, you quickly get ahead of the Guide, and as we all know, the amount of XP any particular quest rewards goes down as your level goes up. The reduction in quest reward XP earned, though, is partially offset by your 20% bonus. What happens is when you get far ahead of the guide (three to four levels), you earn XP at a much slower rate, and you have to do more quests to progress through the Guide. This catches the Guide up to you somewhat, but not entirely; if you follow the Guide exactly and keep both heirlooms equipped permanently, the Guide can never fully catch up to you. In my experience, it comes up to about two levels below me, at which point the 20% bonus means I am again earning more XP than the Guide thinks. Then I shoot back up to three or four levels ahead, and the cycle repeats.

The level that the Guide says you should be when you actually hit 80 will depend on where you are in this cycle. Obviously, if you're in the "way ahead" stage, you might be in the part of the Guide for 76, maybe even 75. And where you are in that cycle when you do hit 80 almost entirely depends on the only significant variable, which is the number of mobs you have to kill while stepping through the Guide.
            Last edited by JJR512; November 19, 2009, 04:14 AM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

"That number, 21,838,750, occurs at a bit over 1/3 of the way into Level 77."

No -heirloom xp bonus only applies to kill xp, not to quest xp.

"as we all know, the amount of XP any particular quest rewards goes down as your level goes up"

No that was changed quite a while ago. as long as a quest isn't grey it will give you the same xp regardless of it being red/orange/yellow/green - see http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/ba...estbasics.html

Only Grey quests will still give the "diminishing" xp as you outlevel them.

"What happens is when you get far ahead of the guide (three to four levels), you earn XP at a much slower rate, and you have to do more quests to progress through the Guide"

not really - see above - quest xp is the same regardless of your level as long as the quest isn't grey - you may be getting slighty less xp from killing mobs a level or two below you but not much.

Comment

"No -heirloom xp bonus only applies to kill xp, not to quest xp."

This is not true. BoA Heirloom experience applies to both kills and quests. Check out any of the items in game or wowhead.

Champion's Deathdealer Breastplate
                Binds to account
                Chest Mail
                1171 Armor
                +68 Agility
                +68 Stamina
                +45 Intellect
                Requires level 1 to 80 (80)
                Item Level 1
                Equip: Increases attack power by 137.
                Equip: Experience gained from killing monsters and completing quests increased by 10%.

Comment

Originally posted by sonalita View Post
                  "That number, 21,838,750, occurs at a bit over 1/3 of the way into Level 77."

No -heirloom xp bonus only applies to kill xp, not to quest xp.

"as we all know, the amount of XP any particular quest rewards goes down as your level goes up"

No that was changed quite a while ago. as long as a quest isn't grey it will give you the same xp regardless of it being red/orange/yellow/green - see http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/ba...estbasics.html

Only Grey quests will still give the "diminishing" xp as you outlevel them.

"What happens is when you get far ahead of the guide (three to four levels), you earn XP at a much slower rate, and you have to do more quests to progress through the Guide"

not really - see above - quest xp is the same regardless of your level as long as the quest isn't grey - you may be getting slighty less xp from killing mobs a level or two below you but not much.
                  First of all, please see buckynaked's reply above.

Secondly, many of the quests I turn in are gray, so what I said is still correct. A lot of the quests the Guide wants you to do are already a bit behind your level when the Guide wants you to pick them up, especially if the particular quest involves a lot of killing. The reason for this is so that it's easier for the player to kill the mobs fast with less chance of dying. When you get ahead of the guide, the quests it wants you to do get even further behind your actual level; thus, many of them will be gray.

Again, this is just based on my experience. I've been leveling a Warlock with heirlooms equipped in all the slots for which they are available (although only the chest and shoulders provide the XP bonus). I have been fairly consistently three or four levels ahead of the guide. It does go back and forth between three and four, as I described. Occasionally, but much less often, it shrinks to two. Your mileage may vary.

Comment

ah my bad - it used to be just kill xp that was boosted I hadn;t noticed that that had now changed to quest xp too, that's awesome

Why are you turning in grey quetss? that's errm a little pointless imho unless you're going for the loremaster or collecting gold. I tend to just skip over any quests that are grey. Sometimes (particularly in outland/northrend) I will just skip to the next zone so there are no chains to worry about

Of course, as has been said before in other threads, it's all about what you want to get from the guide... is your goal to get to 80 as fast as possible? or to enjoy all the quests and make gold from the rewards, or possibly something in between. different people use it in different ways which is fine.

In fact I use the guide in different ways - sometimes I've made a raiding character and the aim there was to get to 80 as fast as at all possible so I did instances, group quests and skipped whole swathes of teh guide. Othertimes I want to level a character just to enjoy the class itself with no real end game end in mind, there I may follow the guide more closely - although I don't think I've ever got from 1 to 80 by following every single step of the guide totally (I must do that 1 day..)

For my latest character, a dwarf hunter, I'm not using the guide or questhelper or anything.. it's an alliance character so I don't know the area or the quests as this is my first alliance character so I'm using this to experience the joy of discovering things on my own, reading the quest text carefully and getting immersed in the storylines and the lore, and not being boosted by heirlooms or being bankrolled in any way - and i'm having a blast doing so, it's a whole new experience, a real sense of adventuring. This is the character I play on when I'm bored of raiding etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X