Map Replacement Suggestion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Map Replacement Suggestion?

I have to precede my question with a compliment on the product as it has saved me countless hours of tabbing in and out of wow to look things up.

That being said I was previously using carbonite prior to their implosion and I really liked their google maps type map replacement.

Any suggestion on something better than the standard wow map?

Thanks in advance.

I'd say keep using Carbonite. Now that they made it open source it will be able to be fixed and improved upon.

http://www.zygorguides.com/forum/sho...onderful-addon
    My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

It's a pitty Cartographer 3 was abandoned a while ago. It was an awesome google-maps type addon but it was abandoned before Wrath I believe.

EDIT:

I'd say keep using Carbonite. Now that they made it open source it will be able to be fixed and improved upon.

http://www.zygorguides.com/forum/sho...onderful-addon
      Carb has been updated since that thread was created.

Comment

Yes, but if you follow the link for Rythal's blog and keep track of everything you'll see that the last official Carbonite update was pretty much the last one from the original authors, and it was broken. They no longer have the time or desire to work on Carbonite so they've made it public source and are allowing the community to take over the maintenance. Rythal has already taken on the task and has released some patches for it so it will work, now he's working on cleaning up the source code some so it can be easier to maintain and add new features.

Comment

Sexy Maps and Mappy are two popular map replacements. Sexy Maps is sexy, but hoggy on resources. Mappy is lighter weight.

Comment

Guys, I posted that thread. Carbonite has been updated using his blog because it at the time was against Carbonite's EULA. Follow the instructions, grab Carbonite from wowinterface and download Rythals patches from his blog (the links are posted in the thread Cabby linked). Its working beautifully for me, the ONLY thing not really working is the quest 'blobs' (the coloured rectangles showing the 'area' that you can complete a quest in). However, if you download Rythals latest patch, it does show Blizzards 'nodes' that show where to complete the quest. Not as nice as it used to be however you wont find an addon out there that colours in rectangles on the map for areas to complete quests.

With regards to Carbonite being updated since the thread was created, yes it has. HOWEVER, if you go to Carbonites wowinterface page and click 'Other Files', you'll see who the author is, its Rythal (http://www.wowinterface.com/download...ite.html#other).

I have also edited that thread to keep the links current with the most recent changes (if you go to my thread and look at the bottom of the OP you'll see a 'last edited' with a time stamp). I posted that thread BEFORE Carbonite was going OS but I have maintained the links.

Trust me, it is working fine.
            Race and Class: Dwarven Priest Character Name: Jacq US server: Cenarion Circle
            Primary Spec: Shadow Secondary Spec: Discipline

Comment

Yeah, when I made that last post I didn't know that Rythal took over on the WoWI site and uploaded a full working copy there.

Comment

Rythal is now able to upload the newest version to Curse.com as well.

Just wondering if the *fix* to sync Zygor's guide and the Carbonite map waypoint / tracking HUD has been added from Zygor's side. I am using Zygor's internal waypoint arrow atm... but prefer to use the Carbonite arrow.

Currently, the option to use Carbonite waypoints remains greyed out on the waypoint options.

Comment

There is no ETA on when this will be fixed. It's on our list.

Comment

Working...
                  X