Waypointing: Audible Direction Cues not Heard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waypointing: Audible Direction Cues not Heard

i haven't heard any audible direction cues (it is checked on) when i am heading in the wrong direction, nor when i get to the destination with the green stealth arrow pointing down. i guess it should be the "ding ding" from the boat bell sound. i don't hear any sound at all.

i had been using tomtom, which does that successfully. i have removed all other addons and tried running only the zygor addon, and i still don't hear any audible cues. i do here the various sounds from the guide as i click through the steps and when i complete a step, so the sounds are definitely working, just not the waypoint arrow ones.

has anyone else had this happen? it's obviously not the most important thing to be worried about, but i would like to have it functioning properly.

thanks for any advice or help!

We'll look into this one to see what's up with it.
    My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

thanks cabby.

i've been messing around with it and i may have found out how to get the feature working, but not 100% of the time for me. i now see that the notes regarding the audible cues are for only when you ALT-TAB and "go make some coffee." so maybe this is working as intended, so i'll tell you what i have found out:

- while alt-tabbed out and auto running/flying, i do not hear any cues (this is with blizzard's "sound in background" checked.
      - as soon as i alt-tab back, only then i will hear one of the two noises immediately. so if i'm heading in the wrong direction i'll heard the 'thud' and as soon as i turn around and head facing the green arrow direction, and get to my destination i will hear the 'ding, ding.'
      - but being just being in-game and not alt-tabbing out at all, no audible cues are made. i guess this is what i was expecting, given that i had been using tomtom for so long that when i reached my destination, i would hear a sound when i reached that location. but reading the description in your addon, it is for only when i alt-tab out? it's interesting that i only hear it once i immediately alt-tab back in-game, but not during the alt-tab session of say surfing, and not during gameplay with no alt-tabbing.

i can't say i get it to work 100% of the time though. maybe that would be an idea/suggestion that one could choose to have those sounds be played while in-game, like tomtom, when you reach your destination. or is that the way this is supposed to work?

thanks for your help

edit: yep, just confirmed that only if i have alt-tabbed and only when i return to wow will i hear one of the two sounds, which is almost always the wrong direction - so when i turn around, go to the correct location i hear the bell, but when completing the next stage/step of the guide, it reverts to no sounds at all, right or wrong direction, for me. i hope that helps for testing purposes. thanks!

Comment

You are correct, menace97, the sounds are meant to call you to your WoW window if you fly "on autopilot" (rise into the air, head straight towards the destination, hit autorun and go make coffee). You don't strictly have to alt-tab out, you merely have to not turn at all, just fly perfectly straight for a few seconds. This is recognized as "you're away" and direction warnings are activated.

However, with "sound in background" enabled, they should definitely be heard - are OTHER sounds heard then?
        Do you perhaps have "FPS limit in background" dialed to some very low value? (This could affect it.)
        Last edited by zgdev; January 29, 2013, 05:55 AM.

Comment

thank zgdev, i appreciate you addresssing this. i now understand the function of this feature - i guess i have gotten used to using tomtom and other similar addons that have an option which plays a sound when you arrive at your destination. i see how this is a different thing altogether. it might be a nice addition in the future to add the option of having a sound play when you get to the location, but i am getting used to just having the visual cue, and maybe it's less invasive/annoying in the end.

i have my settings as such:
          SET maxFPS "60"
          SET maxFPSBk "5"

so after playing around, i have got it down pat now. it works just fine, you are absolutely right.

on a similar note, do you have any recommendations for those two values? it's varies wildly, reading about how many ways users interpret these to be set. i wish there was a definitive answer of what to use for a given system. i have a high-end rig, but i don't see any point of going beyond 60 fps, so that's why i chose that as my max. as for the background, i really am not sure what to use.

thanks for the help and assistance. much appreciated.

Comment

There IS a sound played on arrival - if you turn to face DIRECTLY towards your destination (and I mean directly - use one of the older arrows, with their "precision dot", to do that) and start flying and leave WoW untouched, you'll hear the boat bell upon arrival. It just, as the rest of the feature, works only if you leave the game alone.

As for your settings:
            - setting a maxFPS limit only makes sense if you intend to save some CPU or GPU power (to keep your PC cooler, or do some calculations in the background). Indeed, on most flat screens you're not likely to see anything past 60fps anyway.
            - setting maxFPSBk only makes sense if you often tab out of the game and don't want the rest of your PC to be slow - however, if you have dual monitors and like to have the game on one but work on the other, maxFPSBk limit would just be a bother.

Comment

you are absolutely right zgdev about the sound, i just tried it.

thanks for the help, and the suggestions for the FPS settings.

Comment

Working...
              X