Was just reading the stickied thread, 'keeping your account secure'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was just reading the stickied thread, 'keeping your account secure'

No offense but, there is a ton of information in that post that is just not accurate.

Having worked in computer security for 12 years now, the number one issue to account security is phishing and unpatched software.

And with the authenticator, phishing is (almost) a completely moot point.

However, to deal with phishing for a brief moment, there is one basic rule when it comes to WoW specifically.

CALL Blizzard. Dont email, dont use their IM service, do NOT talk to a gm in-game about it, etc. Pick up the phone and talk to someone. They have very good customer service (once you can actually get past the usual 30 minute hold time).

The bigger issue is unpatched software. This includes the top 5 vulnerabilities right now, Windows updates, Adobe Flash, Adobe PDF Reader, Java, and Browser updates (and this includes EVERY browser you have installed on your system, REGARDLESS of whether you are using it).

If you have something installed, it is YOUR responsibility to update it. Check your OS updates, browsers (and plugins), Java (uninstall it if you dont need it and by the way, chances are you do NOT need Java installed), Flash (see my message about Java 15 words ago in bold), etc.

The general rule of thumb in the industry is, if you dont use it, UNINSTALL it. Check your plugins for your browsers, if you dont use them, UNINSTALL them.

When it comes to software, if you didnt go looking for it, DO NOT install it!

The last point of contention is the notion of authenticators and whether hardware authenticators are better than software authenticators.

There is NO difference between the two. They both function exactly the same way on the back end. Numbers statistically have a VERY low chance of repeating (as in, you wont see the same number in the same 5 years of use). People making claims otherwise are likely not remembering the numbers they have previously typed in.

Remember that authenticators do NOT make you 100% safe! They are an additional step in the authentication process. A good security policy requires authentication via something you KNOW (a password for example) and something you HAVE (an authenticator, biometrics, etc).

If you dont have an authenticator, get one. But remember, it is not foolproof as we saw last week with the Blizzard Armory hack.

Id add more to this but I need to skip out the door to run some errands before it gets any later. Perhaps later today.
    Race and Class: Dwarven Priest Character Name: Jacq US server: Cenarion Circle
    Primary Spec: Shadow Secondary Spec: Discipline

Note that the original post was created in 2009, back when phishing was a huge deal and the authenticators were just becoming a thing. The account security guide could definitely be reworked at this point since it is old, such as mentioning programs that can store your passwords securely such as KeePass or 1Password, but I digress. Regardless, I definitely wouldn't say that a ton of information on that post is inaccurate, it still has good mentions, it just needs redone with relevant information.
    It may seem narcissistic to link this, but it's awesome nonetheless.

Comment

There is enough there that lead to the wrong impression and at the very least should be unstickied.

As I said, the two biggest things you can do to avoid problems is to get an authenticator if you dont already have one, keep all your software up to date, and dont install anything unless you specifically went looking for it.

A good virus scanner is also important, but not critical. I run Microsoft Security Essentials, completely free with no upselling whatsoever, and by the way, works great with Windows because it was designed by the Microsoft guys.

You could use a program for storing passwords (I use LastPass which is one of the very few 'Trust No One' options out there - ie. NO ONE but me has the key to unlock my database, this also means there is no password recovery option but it also means there is no opportunity for prying eyes either), but in the case of WoW specifically, I dont think it is all that significant since WoW doesnt support external password storage options.
      Race and Class: Dwarven Priest Character Name: Jacq US server: Cenarion Circle
      Primary Spec: Shadow Secondary Spec: Discipline

Comment

While the information in that sticky is old, it's still something that is relevant for some people. The safety practices posted in those first 2 posts can be applied to anything, not just WoW. Yes and authenticator is a no-brainer for WoW security, but there are still tons of people who do not use them. You don't want to know how many remote sessions I've done helping people with guide installations and when I have them log into the game to make sure everything is working it's just a quick password and straight in with no authenticator.
        My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Working...
        X