Zygor Guide Grind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zygor Guide Grind?

Hey everyone, was wondering if someone could enlighten me a bit about the guide system.

I started at lvl 1, and my slider is set to zero.

The guide seems to skip large numbers of quests. At one point, it even skipped almost straight through one level (by almost I mean it only had me do one quest turn in), before it stopped at the "grind the rest of the way to level 9" message. The problem was that it was directing me to grind nearly the entire level (95% of the xp bar!). Is Zygor simply telling me that grinding is sometimes the fastest method, or is mine not working properly? Is it normal for it to skip large numbers of quests?

I recommend to move the slider up a bit maybe to 2-5.
    If you grind a little and get ahead of the guide at lower levels this may cause such problems as it may skip quests which you cannot complete as you didn't do an earlier quest in a chain.

Note to Zygor: it would be a good idea to make the default for the slider larger than zero as many people seem to run into problems with the default settings.

Comment

Originally posted by strykerun View Post
      Hey everyone, was wondering if someone could enlighten me a bit about the guide system.

I started at lvl 1, and my slider is set to zero.

The guide seems to skip large numbers of quests. At one point, it even skipped almost straight through one level (by almost I mean it only had me do one quest turn in), before it stopped at the "grind the rest of the way to level 9" message. The problem was that it was directing me to grind nearly the entire level (95% of the xp bar!). Is Zygor simply telling me that grinding is sometimes the fastest method, or is mine not working properly? Is it normal for it to skip large numbers of quests?
      Most people choose to have the slider moved to 2 to 3, some even 4. If you have your slide bar set to zero, the guide will skip everything it sees as not important for you at that part of the guide, and at your level.
      The only 'grinding' you should have to do is later on when you have to get passed mobs or kill for drops. If you have to grind after lvl 6, change your settings up a bit to one number higher in the slide bar.
      Not sure if you know where to go, so.... right-click the "Z" by your mini map and select the + sign drop down for "Zygor Guides Viewer." Then select Dynamic Progress. You will see the now infamous slider bar you will read about a lot in here.
      Also you will see check boxes. At low levels (pre Outland) I leave all checked except travel steps. I want the flight points, but thats just me.
      Hope I touched on your question.
      "The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas."

Comment

Wow, thanks all for the replies!
        I will move it up to 4 tonight and see how that affects things. I do appreciate the help.

One more question: If I move it up to 4, should I now go back and do some of the skipped content, or will the guide automatically adjust?

Comment

Hello strykerun,

It really depends. If you want to go back and do them to obtain the reputation, then I'd go ahead and just do that. If the guide skipped a LOT of quests, then I'd also recommend going back to make sure you have all available quest chains. The SIS should put you back in track even if you don't do them, but it may not, so you never know. If you think it'd be a good idea, then might as well just in case, free gold for quest completion anyways, right? :-).

Silverhawk11
          It may seem narcissistic to link this, but it's awesome nonetheless.

Comment

I'd recommend going back, if nothing else but to reduce any possible future grinding that the guide might want you to do from it being thrown out of whack. This suggestion is on the assumption that you're still under level 10 since you said you had started a level 1 character with it.
            My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Okay, I set the slider to 5, and it didn't affect anything. The SIS didn't roll back to the quests that it skipped, and nothing past my current level changed either. What am I doing wrong here?

Comment

Okay, I set the slider to 5, and it didn't affect anything. The SIS didn't roll back to the quests that it skipped, and nothing past my current level changed either. What am I doing wrong here?
                Go all the way back to level 1 and do the entire SIS process again. Right-click the next step button and eventually, you should be correctly in place, and it should stop at the past quests you are wanting to do.
                Become a Fan of Zygor Guides on Facebook:
                http://www.facebook.com/zygorguides

Follow Zygor Guides on Twitter:
                http://twitter.com/zygorguides

Comment

As Zygor stated, it wont move backwards to find what it missed, but works forwards.
                  If you select the very start of the guides (step 1 lvl 1) and right-click the down button, it will stop where a chain begins or a travel step lies. If its way below where you are currently with your toon, just click again to move it along.
                  "The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas."

Comment

Okay, I did as instructed, but a ton of quests only a couple levels below were still skipped by the system. So I created a new toon. Everything is working perfectly on the new toon. Thus, here is what I think happened. My first toon was named a particular name which I wanted to keep, but he was lvl 23 and I wanted to start fresh with Zygor so I didn't miss any content. So I deleted him and made another toon with the same name. I believe the SIS may have somehow kept the old version's quest completion logs. If so, this would explain why numerous quests well above my level were still labelled "green" for "completed". But I am off to a great start with the new one, 10.75 levels in 2.1 hours!!!! Assuming no long skills breaks or sitting around, how long does the zygor guide take to hit 80? Ballpark average I mean.

Comment

The average I believe is roughly 8 days of /played time.

And yes, if you deleted a toon to make a new one with the same name then the guides will remember stuff for the old toon. There is a way to 'reset' the guide for that toon's name tho. Edit (with Notepad) the WoW/WTF/Account/accountname/SavedVariables/ZygorGuidesViewer.lua file. Inside there find the section for your toon's name and delete that section, then save the file. Then if you go back to step 1 level 1 and right click the next step button it should work perfectly to get you back in sync with the new toon's level and position it should be in the guide.
                      My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Zygor, cabby, and all those who replied to help me out: thanks a ton. I just went 1-40 in 36 hours of gametime thanks to Zygor Guides and heirloom items. Fantastic!!!

Comment

I have found that if you do any of the bgs you jump ahead as well so i have my slider set to 6 and that way I can do some of the bgs and still stay on track generally with the guide.

Comment

Working...
                          X