Talent Builds Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kamchak View Post
    As a pally tank, when you see your raid party start to take on damage, put on divine sacrifice. You will see a much smoother run.
    I usually save that for a boss fight.
    If the entire raid starts taking aoe dmg which is then redirected to the tank, wouldn't this lower the tank's health so fast that the healers can't keep it up?

Comment

Originally posted by nikzaw View Post
      Im new to Zygors guides literally within the hour. I am a prot pally wanting to tank i want to lvl as prot so i can instance and get a feel for tanking and learn how it works for when i am end game =]. I have been building prior to this to what i thought was best, should i be following the built in zygor prot build or can anyone offer me any assistance. As ive metioned above im very new to zygors guides so please dont explain stuff expecting i know wot im on about in terms of the guides mechanics... cos well i dont
      This will be a personal preference thing. If you feel the build you've been working on is good and you want to use it then just keep following your build. One thing you can do is to dual spec and use the 2nd spec to use the zygor prot build and then you can compare the effectiveness of the two builds during some dungeon running.
      My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Was wondering if when the new talent trees in patch 4.0.1 (Not Cata) hits live if Zygor will be releasing the update for them or will he wait till Cata comes out?
        I'm Rebur, Tadia, or Judianna most games.
        Twitter @Chaos5061.
        Translations are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Originally posted by chaos5061 View Post
          Was wondering if when the new talent trees in patch 4.0.1 (Not Cata) hits live if Zygor will be releasing the update for them or will he wait till Cata comes out?
          The talent builds will always be updated to keep up with the latest patch.
          Become a Fan of Zygor Guides on Facebook:
          http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zygor-...04933799556988

Follow Zygor Guides on Twitter:
          http://twitter.com/zygorguides

Comment

can I get some assistance, created this Mage Fire build but I cant get it to show up in game. I tried 2 versions can you locate my error's?
            This one is currently in the Zygor builds

if not ZygorTalentAdvisor then return end

ZygorTalentAdvisor:RegisterBuild( "Mage", "My Fire Build - Custom", [[
            2 Arcane Subtlety
            3 Arcane Focus
            5 Arcane Concentration
            3 Spell Impact
            1 Focus Magic
            2 Student of the Mind
            3 Torment the Weak
            5 Improved Fireball
            5 Ignite
            3 World in Flames
            2 Flame Throwing
            1 Pyroblast
            1 Burning Soul
            3 Improved Scorch
            3 Master of Elements
            3 Playing with Fire
            3 Critical Mass
            5 Fire Power
            3 Pyromaniac
            1 Combustion
            2 Molten Fury
            3 Empowered Fire
            3 Hot Streak
            5 Burnout
            1 Living Bomb
            ]], [[
            Major Glyph of Fireball
            Major Glyph of Living Bomb
            Major Glyph of Molten Armor
            Minor Glyph of Arcane Intellect
            Minor Glyph of Blast Wave
            Minor Glyph of Slow Fall
            ]])

and this was my initial one, neither worked so I just chose Zygor Fire Leveling and selected my own talents I would really like to get this synced up.

if not ZygorTalentAdvisor then return end

ZygorTalentAdvisor:RegisterBuild( "Mage", "Fire Build ( 19 / 52 / 0 ) - Custom", [[

2/2 Arcane Subtlety

3/3 Arcane Focus

5/5 Arcane Concentration

3/3 Spell Impact

1/1 Focus Magic

2/3 Student of the Mind

3/3 Torment the Weak

5/5 Improved Fireball

5/5 Ignite

3/3 World in Flames

2/2 Flame Throwing

1/1 Pyroblast

1/2 Burning Soul

3/3 Improved Scorch

3/3 Master of Elements

3/3 Playing with Fire

3/3 Critical Mass

5/5 Fire Power

3/3 Pyromaniac

1/1 Combustion

2/2 Molten Fury

3/3 Empowered Fire

3/3 Hot Streak

5/5 Burnout

1/1 Living Bomb

]], [[

Major Glyph of Fireball

Major Glyph of Living Bomb

Major Glyph of Molten Armor

Minor Glyph of Arcane Intellect

Minor Glyph of Blast Wave

Minor Glyph of Slow Fall

]])

Comment

This is a very simple fix and something that can be easily missed. It's all in the capitalization.

ZygorTalentAdvisor:RegisterBuild( "Mage", "My Fire Build - Custom",
              Needs to be: (change highlighted in red)
              ZygorTalentAdvisor:RegisterBuild( "MAGE", "My Fire Build - Custom",
              Edit: Also, I highly suggest that you put any personal builds into a separate lua file named Build01.lua simply because any update to the official lua file will then delete your custom builds.

Comment

I just started a mage and I have to admit that I don't know that much about them. I've understood that many think frost to be the best leveling build due to better survivability but that fire does more dmg.

Zygor has 2 leveling frost builds and I was wondering what really is the practical difference between those two.

There is also an arcane leveling build, does this one do more dmg than fire build?

Guess what I really want to know is if any mage out there has tried the different builds and have some recommendations for someone who usually plays melee. Both when it comes to what build to choose (pros and cons of the different ones) as well as any tip on how to play a mage. You don't have to tell me that mages should down the mobs before those reach me, it just doesn't always work out

Comment

There are various threads spread around the forums here talking about the 3 different mage trees. So far the general consensus is that frost is your best best for solo leveling and pvp especially if you're new to the class. Once you're around 68 or 69 and are doing random dungeons you'll more than likely want to switch to an arcane spec. This will be a step up in damage but is still a bit more mana friendly compared to fire. You'll normally only want to use fire when doing the big raids and/or once you've hit a 40% unbuffed crit rating.

As for the two different frost builds that have been supplied, I can't really comment on those as I haven't really looked at them since the recent build changes. Also, it won't be too long before all this gets thrown out the window with the new talent trees coming out soon for the Cataclysm release.

Comment

Originally posted by Agais View Post
                    If the entire raid starts taking aoe dmg which is then redirected to the tank, wouldn't this lower the tank's health so fast that the healers can't keep it up?
                    Not at all.

It is a lot harder as a healer to keep a group alive than to keep one player alive.
                    Think of the times you have wiped in a raid or instance. Usually it will be due to the entire raid taking on damage, and an eager healer trying to keep the raid party alive.
                    Now, think of the healer that watched half the raid die off, but kept him/herself alive, the tank, and one DPS. Less ppl to keep heals on, party lives.
                    Same concept with Divine Sacrifice. The healers can only do so much.

To really get the concept of what this ability can do, get it and keep it handy. When you are going into a pull you know will be raid damage heavy, dont use Divine Sacrifice, and just watch.
                    Now, run the same instance (hopefully with the same healer) and use Divine Sacrifice durring that pull, and then watch.
                    The difference will be noticable to you, but mostly to your healer.
                    "The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas."

Comment

I just started a mage and I have to admit that I don't know that much about them. I've understood that many think frost to be the best leveling build due to better survivability but that fire does more dmg.

Zygor has 2 leveling frost builds and I was wondering what really is the practical difference between those two.

There is also an arcane leveling build, does this one do more dmg than fire build?

Guess what I really want to know is if any mage out there has tried the different builds and have some recommendations for someone who usually plays melee. Both when it comes to what build to choose (pros and cons of the different ones) as well as any tip on how to play a mage. You don't have to tell me that mages should down the mobs before those reach me, it just doesn't always work out
                      My personal preference would be to wait till the new talent trees come out in patch 4.0.1. When they come out the frost tree will be even more of a leveling spec than the other trees (not saying you can't level with them but frost will have a better chance of surviving.). Due to when you hit 10 and take frost you get your water elemental pet and it's permanent until it dies.
                      That's mainly why in my signature it says I'll role a mage then. Also because I mostly suck at being a mage too But I'm pretty good for a hunter though
                      Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

Been looking a bit at the dk talent builds. I keep hearing that dk's should use frost build for tanking but zygor has taken a unholy approach. Understood that is supposed to be best for grinding though.
                        How is it to tank as unholy? Any specific rotation that works good? And what else to think about?

Comment

Been looking a bit at the dk talent builds. I keep hearing that dk's should use frost build for tanking but zygor has taken a unholy approach. Understood that is supposed to be best for grinding though.
                          How is it to tank as unholy? Any specific rotation that works good? And what else to think about?
                          Before the talent builds they just released I had to import a unholy spec just to get out of the starting area for dks. On the quest that u had to stay inside the bubble this guy made and kill this priest I never surivied the fight until I speced unholy for the ghouls. As you can tell I'm a pet whore!
                          Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

Unholy is the DPS build for right now, subject to change dramatically in Cata.
                            You may want to get familiar with the frost build for DPS though, in Cata... just saying.

The build to get used to for tanking is blood. The best DK tanks I have ever run with were blood, and it is going to be the tank build in Cata anyway.

The rotation and other details for >80 is found at elitistjerks.com
                            "The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas."

Comment

Thx a lot. It helps to know a bit of what is coming in cata
                              I actually had a blood tank in group today, worked fine. So I'll keep to blood spec for now.

Comment

Originally posted by cabby View Post
                                This is a very simple fix and something that can be easily missed. It's all in the capitalization.

Needs to be: (change highlighted in red)

Edit: Also, I highly suggest that you put any personal builds into a separate lua file named Build01.lua simply because any update to the official lua file will then delete your custom builds.
                                Thank you, I have a separate folder of my custom builds outside of Zygor builds and they get put back in after each Zygor update

Comment

Working...
                                X