Gear guide request/idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear guide request/idea

I ve been having this idea for a gear guide for some time now, and as far as i know none of the ingame guides out there have this option built in,
    this is not to be confused with a certain dungeon guide that kinda does the same but requires you to use dungeon finder to do a certain dungeon to get a speciffic item as a quest reward or as a boss drop,and if you are lucky enough the right item does indeed drop and you win the roll because in that situation you might end up doing that dungeon so many times the item is not really the best upgrade anymore by the time you obtain it

it works like this,
    you select your class (and role, tank, dps, healer, if needed), then you start questing just like you normally do, when you reach a certain level you are attended to where to go and what to do to get the best gear upgrade available for your char.

As far as i understand the way zygors guide is written/programmed it shouldn't be too hard to implement a feature like that, you can use the same mechanism as you do with the races starting zones but in this case have it do its magic at another level, just like the other class/race related quests

You could even build in the option for users to switch this feature on/off because the really good items sometimes require you to do a complete quest chain in a remote part of the world or have you travel from one end of the map to the other.
    But hey, theres no such thing as a free lunch right?

Interesting idea but with the amount of quests and rewards such a guide would use much ressources. Some people complain the memory usage of the current leveling guide.

If you want to decide faster if an item is right for you I recommend RatingBuster and MoncaiCompare. With those two addons you see directly if a new item is better than an old one.

Comment

You can also try Pawn.
      I'm Rebur, Tadia, or Judianna most games.
      Twitter @Chaos5061.
      Translations are done with Google Translate.

Comment

thats not excactly what i meant, i meant quests or questlines that are really worth the extra effort, not quests that will get you a green item that only has a marginal stats increase, but the ones that will get you a subtantial increase, so only quests that will reward a blue item that you wouldnt be able to use and/or obtain if you were only 1 level lower

i hope that this time ive been more clear in what i meant, since english is not my native language i probably dont know the exact words to explain the issue about the level stuff here but let me give an example

say you are a warlock, and there is this quest(line) that will reward amongst others a blue staff and the quest(line) becomes available at lvl 45, so when you hit level 45 you will be attended to the fact that there is a questline in zone A at coords x,y that starts with npc Z, from there on the guide does what it normally does, guide you through the quest(line) until you finish it and get your staff, after finishing the quest(line) you continue the guide using the sis (if needed), or you dont follow the quest(line) and continue the guide by skipping the whole "detour"

There are not so many non dungeon questlines wich dont span more than 2 levels and still reward you a blue item, but im sure there gotta be some that do, its those questlines i am talking about here, cuz if a questline takes you all around the world- and require you to gain a 3+ levels before you can finish them- they probably wont be worth the extra time spent since the item may be not that much of an upgrade by the time you actually get it.
        I figured, if anyone knows wich questlines are worth a (little) detour it has to be the people that write gameguides, right?
        Last edited by purplehaze65; January 16, 2011, 01:27 PM. Reason: just a final thought

Comment

Most of the quests that give you a blue item will be dungeon quests. Also with the changes to the item levels that blizzard just did for cataclysm a green item of the same item level as a blue item will offer the same stats as the blue item. So really there is no need to go for blue items any more.
          Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

can you pls be a bit more specific cuz i cant just google "pawn" and find whatever it is you are refering to, and curse comes up empty if i put pawn in the searchbox so i guess its not a wellknown add on
            oops, just found pawn, just forgot to switch from my own add ons box to available add ons box ;P

Comment

oh, i wasnt aware of that, im leveling my dk atm in cata and the blue items seem to have better stats than the greens, but maybe i just didnt notice, i ll pay more attention to it next time i log on to one of my 80+ chars

Comment

Originally posted by purplehaze65 View Post
                I ve been having this idea for a gear guide for some time now, and as far as i know none of the ingame guides out there have this option built in,
                this is not to be confused with a certain dungeon guide that kinda does the same but requires you to use dungeon finder to do a certain dungeon to get a speciffic item as a quest reward or as a boss drop,and if you are lucky enough the right item does indeed drop and you win the roll because in that situation you might end up doing that dungeon so many times the item is not really the best upgrade anymore by the time you obtain it

it works like this,
                you select your class (and role, tank, dps, healer, if needed), then you start questing just like you normally do, when you reach a certain level you are attended to where to go and what to do to get the best gear upgrade available for your char.

As far as i understand the way zygors guide is written/programmed it shouldn't be too hard to implement a feature like that, you can use the same mechanism as you do with the races starting zones but in this case have it do its magic at another level, just like the other class/race related quests

You could even build in the option for users to switch this feature on/off because the really good items sometimes require you to do a complete quest chain in a remote part of the world or have you travel from one end of the map to the other.
                But hey, theres no such thing as a free lunch right?
                To be honest I think the logic behind this kind of guide is too complex to be done. Out of everything else, trying to make a "Gear Guide" is almost impossible. Because in order to do that you have to consider a TON of variables. And at the rate of you levelling, it would sometimes be a waste of time to constantly find the "BEST WEAPON?GEAR" because that gear will just be replaced in a few levels or possible the next. And if you want to find the BEST GEAR, than you should either expect to spend a lot of gold, or time in dungeons "hoping" that item X drops and you win the roll, as you pointed out...

Consider this... Would you want a gear guide that is built into primarily finding the best "quest reward" upgrade?? or just the best upgrade in general. Because if you are, then you're talking about EPICs. Therefore EPICs are either a very rare drop in dungeons, OR a very high level profession-crafted item, in which case the guide cannot possibly know... Or of course the alternative... PVP EPIC honor gear... The amount of possibilities is endless when it comes to gear.. And how would this so called guide take AH into the equation?? You can find some really good gear on the AH for decent prices that are far much better than most quest rewards, depending on quests. Therefore, I'm assuming your way of thinking the best upgrade would be exclusively to quest rewards, in which case you would be right about it being implemented easily into the guide. But personally, if you really think about it. Its almost impossible to create some kind of logic to tell a person "this item is the best for you at this lvl" kind of thing...

Some best items could be reputation oriented, yet ANOTHER factor that zygor guides currently is not compatable with... The problems are endless..

You would literally need to load some kind of item database that stores all of the current items in the game, including EVERYTHING, profession-crafted items, reputations items, quest reward item database, dungeon drop database, special drop database. The size of this would be insane...

This seems to be one area that is left up to the player to decide..
                Ripstar - 75 Druid [Feral & Restoration Spec] -- Terenas Server PvE.
                WorgenKnight - 68 Death Knight [Blood & Unholy Spec] -- Terenas Server PvE.

"Druids OWN. Here's why:
                Want Melee DPS? - just /cast CatForm!
                Want Ranged DPS? - just /cast MoonkinForm!
                Want a Tank? - just /cast BearForm!
                Want a Healer? - just /cast TreeOfLifeForm!
                wait there's more...
                Is it a bird, a plane.. NO.. Is it superman?.. NO.. but might as well be - lol. It's a DRUID!.
                - /cast SwiftFlightForm.

Comment

oh, i wasnt aware of that, im leveling my dk atm in cata and the blue items seem to have better stats than the greens, but maybe i just didnt notice, i ll pay more attention to it next time i log on to one of my 80+ chars
                  I would've assumed that someone with multiple 80 characters would by now know which quest-lines give good rewards...

And now that I understand you just want a guide to give you easy rewards that are not exactly "the best for ur lvl" then we can handle this question easier..

It sounded like you wanted to know what the best item was, NOT exclusively what the best QUEST REWARD ITEMS are...

"Druids OWN. Here's why:
                  wait there's more...
                  Is it a bird, a plane.. NO.. Is it superman?.. NO.. but might as well be - lol. It's a DRUID!.
                  - /cast SwiftFlightForm.

Comment

Ratingbuster is a good addon to use to see what gear stats will give you. Then you can see what stats you will gain and loose and be able to determine if the gear is a good upgrade for you to take based off your role (DPS or Tank).
                    If you are going to be a tank Id suggest doing some dungeons as you quest for better gear. Otherwise what you pick up questing will work just fine in the beginning for a DPS role.
                    The reason you want a bit better gear for tanking is because if you have quest items your HP will be lower. Take that lower HP on you and couple it with a under geared healer, and you have the makings of a long and unhappy run.
                    Just my experience and $0.02.
                    "The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas."

Comment

Originally posted by chaos5061 View Post
                      Most of the quests that give you a blue item will be dungeon quests. Also with the changes to the item levels that blizzard just did for cataclysm a green item of the same item level as a blue item will offer the same stats as the blue item. So really there is no need to go for blue items any more.
                      They did the same thing with TBC... I had to replace my Tier 1/2 with flippin greens when that expansion came out!! lol...

Gear changes all the time. This honestly seems like hitting a brick-wall, and even asking for a gear guide, is not possible.. The research would be insane, zygor or the team would literally have to filter through every single quest-line to find and compare what the so called "best upgrade is", and take into account your spec will affect your choice in gear.. So it wouldn't be just a simple take this item because your a warrior who wears plate... it would need to factor in your spec, like "hey since your a fury warrior, with points in this and point, take this item as it will increases your attk power/dps, etc. Or "hey since your a resto druid, take this item as it has more int and spirit than the other items, etc." the logic - the scenarios - the specs, all of this is mind boggling!...

Furthermore, asking for the "best quest reward" is not very reliable, because I end up replacing most of my stuff with DUNGEON drops or even AH purchased upgrades, which generally IS the best upgrades you can get. And at decent prices, although if you wanna TWINK your char out, expect to SPEND A TON of gold. No matter what you want, period. OR expect to have multiple characters who are MAXED at their professions to CRAFT the best GEAR!

"Druids OWN. Here's why:
                      wait there's more...
                      - /cast SwiftFlightForm.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamchak View Post
                        Ratingbuster is a good addon to use to see what gear stats will give you. Then you can see what stats you will gain and loose and be able to determine if the gear is a good upgrade for you to take based off your role (DPS or Tank).
                        If you are going to be a tank Id suggest doing some dungeons as you quest for better gear. Otherwise what you pick up questing will work just fine in the beginning for a DPS role.
                        The reason you want a bit better gear for tanking is because if you have quest items your HP will be lower. Take that lower HP on you and couple it with a under geared healer, and you have the makings of a long and unhappy run.
                        Exactly quest rewards are not the best upgrades... They're just the easiest and most guaranteed items you can get. You know you dont need to compete against anyone else, just the quest directive - kill this, go there, click that, collect this, sneak into here, etc. Thats all you need to do to get quest rewards.. But I would suggest checking out the AH say, every 5 levels to see what the current best item is that is sold.. And check if you can afford it, if not then just continue questing. You should worry about questing and levelling more than getting gear, as you will inevitably replace it for something you get in a dungeon, or if end game PvE content is not an option for you, your next best choice would have to be profession-crafted gear. So make sure you have a lot of gold! or characters/friends with maxed professions.. etc

"Druids OWN. Here's why:
                        wait there's more...
                        - /cast SwiftFlightForm.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamchak View Post
                          I've got a different addon that more or less does the same thing.

it says

"if you choose this item the following changes will occur:

+125 armor
                          +11 stam
                          -5 agi
                          + 10 str
                          "

etc, this would probably be the easiest way to recommend the best quest rewards, creating an entire guide would be simply a waste of time, when there are addons out there that take the quesswork out of it. The only thing they cant create is logic itself, and being creative, dont rely on just quest rewards for the best gear, venture out into the World of Warcfrafy, explore the possibilities, embrace them... Dont single out questing, I bet you could buy something off the AH relatively cheap.

An example? on my 69 DK i basically upgraded ALL of my gear with mostly greens with killer stats, where and how?? from the AH! how much did i spend?? approx 100-120gold.. very very inexpensive for atleast 8 upgrades of gear (each item was approx 10-20g max), that were MUCH BETTER than the quest rewards I had...

"Druids OWN. Here's why:
                          wait there's more...
                          - /cast SwiftFlightForm.

Comment

can you pls be a bit more specific cuz i cant just google "pawn" and find whatever it is you are refering to, and curse comes up empty if i put pawn in the searchbox so i guess its not a wellknown add on
                            oops, just found pawn, just forgot to switch from my own add ons box to available add ons box ;P
                            Pawn on Curse: http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...ails/pawn.aspx
                            Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

The only add to that post, Rip, would be for a tank or healer. You can just jump into tanking or healing once you hit max level, but in my experience dealing with those that go this route, it is painful. I can tank anything in game on my pally right now, but thats only cause Ive been tanking with him since he was around level 40, and leveled him tanking till level 80, then ran prot spec to level him to 85. So I learned the abilities long before the difficult content came up in higher levels, and could react in an instance properly because of this.
                              All the same could be said for my druid heals. Although he is only level 70, I still leveled him in dungeons as a healer from level 15.
                              Also, buying off the AH (imo) is only if you have a max level toon that can front your alt the gold. Otherwise what you get in a dungeon is good enough for what you'll encounter.
                              The soapbox post is to lend some of my insight only. If you are planing on running as a DPS, what you know from questing will get you by in the beginning. If you are a tank or heals (in his case tank), practice in runs to learn your toons abilities.
                              Besides, in lower level runs you can tell the group your new to the role and 99 times out of 100 they will tell you what you need to do. At higher levels you should learn with a guild group only.
                              /step off soapbox
                              "The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas."

Comment

Working...
                              X