OR

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a link to list of GOOD 64-bit Windows PC games-but NOT Nintendo-types.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a link to list of GOOD 64-bit Windows PC games-but NOT Nintendo-types.

I've been looking for a list of GOOD 64-bit PC games-but NOT Nintendo-types "Console machines", etc. No monkeys jumping from tier-to-tier trying to catch balloons, etc.! Please.

It seems to me that nobody has created decent games for the PC using the 64-bit processor and Windows 64-bit OS. At least, I've seen nothing worth the cost of buying them. I can't even find a current list of 64-bit PC games that run in Windows!

Every once in awhile, I'd like to play something different than WoW. Personally, I like games that use Artificial Intelligence (that learn from my game-play), games with great graphics without requiring a $500.00 to $1,200.00 video card, Stategy games, and if at all possible, games that come with their own Editor (so that I can modify/create new game scenarios and play them). I love to create.

Everybody on this forum plays games, though mostly WoW. I'm hoping somebody has some industry insight as to why there are so few quality 64-bit games designed with great imagination. My God, it has been many years since the 64-bit processors have entered mainstream computers! Where are the games?

Note: I'm not interested in Blizzard's "StartCraft" series. Neither am I interested in games that are designed for "whoever can click the keys on a keyboard the fastest" to stay alive/win, etc. Not my type of game.

Recommendations of games that you have purchased (and play) will be appreciated, if you have found such games.

It's not a 64-bit game, but the Jagged Alliance Back In Action game is a nice strategy type of game. Runs perfectly fine on a 64-bit computer and is available thru Steam.
    My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

For the gameplay there are not many reasons to make 64 bit only games.
      So nearly all games run on both 32 bit and 64 bit Windows versions. Some have special 64 bit clients like WoW. But apart from minor performance boost you won't notice it.

If you are looking for some good strategy games I can recommend the following:

Defense Grid - available on Steam, one of the best tower defense games. Not the best graphics and no AI (hey, it's tower defense) but you need to use your brain when trying to master all game modes.

Total War series (Empire, Napoleon, Shogun 2) - Good combination of strategy and tactics, AI is sometimes a bit stupid but they are overall not too easy.

XCOM Enemy Unknown - The good old XCOM with sufficient graphics and still a timesink.

BTW, unless you use higher resolutions than 1920 * 1080 (full HD) a 200-250$ graphics card and a 120$ CPU are good enough for nearly any game, even Crysis 3.

Comment

I appreciate your recommendations, but are there any reputable websites which offer up-to-date lists of 64-bit games for Windows PC's? Microsoft pushes only their lame products.

Personally, I've found most of the websites useless and out-of-date, or else too biased in their opinions. An example is "cnet.com". It's horrible! And, I've had no success at installing 32-bit programs into my 64-bit OS. Yes, I've tried the "Program Compatibilty" thing in Windows 7, but to no avail. Always an error when I try to install them. It peeves me because I paid for programs which Microsoft now disallows me to use. A 64-bit processor and Windows 7 64-bit OS should allow BOTH 32-bit and 64-bit programs to run without one darned complaint! That's my opinion. Anyway, it's typical M$. I don't want to get side-tracked on that topic. grin.

I really don't like the 1st-person "shooter" types of games, especially the unoriginal, over-worked concept of "WWII" genre's. It gets boring within 2 minutes, for me. Shoot/run/die... shoot/run/die...shoot/run die, repeatedly! Graphics so intensive, I'm nearly blind after a few minutes, and my nerves are quivering. A long time ago, I tried drinking a 1.75 litre of good Irish Whiskey to calm my nerves, but then the monitor started looking very blurry. It didn't work as intended.

Games using "Steam" are almost always 1st-person shooter games. And, it's also a paid-subscription to play them.

Right now, I'm just looking to find a list of current, new 64-bit "Windows 64-bit Compatible" titles to see what's available.

Any thoughts on finding a good links to something like this?

Comment

I do not know why you are having problems. 99% of the games I install on my Win7 64-bit system are older 32-bit software. What games are you trying to install that give a problem?

And Steam games are not subscription, they are a one time payment.

Comment

Originally posted by kreelor View Post
            Games using "Steam" are almost always 1st-person shooter games. And, it's also a paid-subscription to play them.
            The Steam account and client are free, you only pay for games you purchase on Steam.
            And apart from the big games Steam is full of innovative games from smaller developers that don't have a publisher.

Only rather old games have problems on 64 bit Windows. Everything released since the release of Windows Vista should run.
            Older Windows XP games mostly have problems with the User Account Control. But only if you install them into the default "Program Files" folder. If you install them for example into "c:\games" they will work.
            Sometimes some nasty copy protection like Starforce can cause problems. But I think asking google and updating the drivers of copy protection software will help.
            My brother even plays the good old Need For Speed Porsche on Windows 7 64 bit.

If you have a particular game that won't run with your 64 bit Windows feel free to post it here. I'm sure there will be a solution unless the game is older than 10 years.

Comment

There are even ways to get some of the older games to work. I'm able to play an old DOS based game (Dungeon Hack) on my Win7 64-bit system. And then there are some games I just can't quite get to work right. It's normally hit or miss on the older games, but not impossible.

Comment

Thanks Cabby and Cartman for replying with really good information. I was wrong about 'Steam' being a paid service. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

This question still hasn't been answered:
                "Right now, I'm just looking to find a list of current, new 64-bit "Windows 64-bit Compatible" titles to see what's available.

Any thoughts on finding a good links to something like this?"
                If you can list a URL to a good resource, that'd be great! If not, that's okay, too. I'm only hoping for some very good, new game variety software that I can use. That's why I'm looking for a current list of relatively new offerings.

Comment

As Cartman said, they don't make the games for 64 bit so you won't find a listing like you're looking for. What the companies do is create 32 bit games and then add in 64 bit compatibility. This is what WoW has done. I can't even think of any games off the top of my head that are created solely for a 64 bit system.

Comment

ok. thanks. I'm done.

Comment

Working...
                    X