Runeforging choices for DK swords?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Runeforging choices for DK swords?

I don't know if this is actually 'off topic' or not since it can apply to faster leveling?

Does it make a difference which of the choices is chosen for runeforging a sword for a Death Knight? I chose Glacierice, but have no idea if another type might help me stay alive or kill faster. Just wondering. Maybe it makes no significant difference at all???

It really only matters for end game and what spec you are using at that point. If you're using Blood spec try using the one that adds parry to help for survivability.
    My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

A dual wield Frost DK uses Fallen Crusader on main hand and Razorice on the off hand.
      If you use a two handed weapon you should use Fallen Crusader only.

A tank (Blood DK) uses Stonskin Gargoyle. But if you are only questing alone you can use Fallen Crusader as you will survive any mobs easily and a damage boost is the better choice then.

While leveling in Pandaria I frequently only switched specs between Frost and Blood. Fighting mobs ony by one can easily be done as Frost but if I encountered some nasty enemies which are not easy to pull one by one (for eample for the "kills 25 mantis" endquest of the Klaxxi) I switched to Blood spec while still using the same gear (only with a two handed weapon instead of the one handed). That way I was able to pull about a dozen mantis, only with questing gear.

Comment

Thanks, Cartman. Good info for me to use later. Currently, my DK just now turned 59 (10 min's ago), so the weapons and runeforging choices you mentioned aren't available to me. There are only 4 Runeforging choices on the list. As an experiment, I switched from Cinderglacier to the Razorice choice and it seems to be working better, but there's really no way to tell. Maybe I'm just hitting them harder because my char was getting stronger? lol

And, Cabby, yes... I am using the Blood spec, but I don't see anything in the descriptions of each Runeforging choice to indicate "parry", etc. Maybe I missed it.

runeforging-razorice.jpg

Comment

I forget what the parry one is called but it might not be unlocked yet. I think some of them don't unlock until later levels.

Comment

There you can see how often I played the DK, I did not even notice that the runes have level requirements.

It looks like Razorice is better for frost DKs until you get the Fallen Crusader at level 70 as it permanently increases frost damage.
            Cinderglazier has the chance to increase frost and shadow damage and that's the damage type for example of Blood Boil and the Parasites.

The runes Cabby mentions are Swordbreaking and Swordshattering (available at 62).
            According to noxxic.com for a tank DK Swordshattering is the normal choice but there's at level 72 the alternative Stoneskin Gargoyle rune.

Comment

Maybe you can clear up a point I'm confused about. At my current char level (59-1/2, soon to be 60), should I be using Frost or Blood as my spec? I see you mentioning Frost quite often, but maybe that is the choice for end-game spec? Right now, I'm still low level, but would like to use every advantage. I don't remember if the guide recommends the Blood spec any longer as it used to. I didn't notice. I chose it out of habit (from years ago).

Comment

Frost is a dps spec and Blood is a tanking spec. Using Frost will allow you to kill things faster, but using Blood will allow you to kill many things at once. So if the majority of your fights are 1 or 2 mobs you can use Frost spec but if you like to gather up 6-10 at once to kill then use Blood. And if you run into any quests that seem to be hard to survive in Frost then swap over to Blood and you should be able to survive no problem.

Comment

I'd also recommend Frost for solo leveling.
                  The damage is very good and you still have small self heals.

Blood for leveling however is the easy mode as normally nothing will be able to kill you. The damage difference while leveling from 85 to 90 was about 15-20%. Blood DKs do still good damage compared to other classes.

As dual spec does not cost that much you can try out both and switch specs depending on the situation.

Comment

Thanks to both of you, Cabby and Cartman, for the explanations. You guys are very knowledgeable about such things. I will get dual-spec and test each one to find the differences in leveling speed and "dying speed" of my char. lol. I'm used to playing a Mage where frost spells have great impact. I like stopping enemies in their tracks and killing at a distance before they even touch me, but I know the death knight is akin to playing a 'barbarian' type char. Normally, I avoid that type. I have quite a few Hunter's and Mages already, so I wanted to try the DK.

Thanks for your replies and your help. Much appreciated!

Comment

I've just been levelling as Blood with tanking heirlooms (still just questing, no dungeons) and it was a breeze. Things still die pretty fast and you can pull a zone and survive (well, almost!).

I still don't find it quite as much fun as a warrior, though.

Comment

Originally posted by mzanker View Post
                        I've just been levelling as Blood with tanking heirlooms (still just questing, no dungeons) and it was a breeze. Things still die pretty fast and you can pull a zone and survive (well, almost!).

I still don't find it quite as much fun as a warrior, though.
                        I used the term "Barbarian" earlier because I remembered it was one of the class types in Diablo II with the last expansion disk. It's now a dead product. I think it evolved into WoW.

I do have a Paladin char, level 60+ I think, (somewhere on one of the 3 or 4 realms full of my chars? - Yikes!!) which is also hand-to-hand. Never once had a problem staying alive with it. I have only one Warrior char, and it's a Horde char. Haven't played it beyond level 5 or 6 -- if I remember correctly. It's been a couple of years since I've attempted playing it again. It's on a realm I hardly ever visit.

Comment

Working...
                        X