This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Profession Updates for Cataclysm

This thread will be like the Official News related to Cataclysm thread. When new updates are released for Professions I will post them here.
    I'm Rebur, Tadia, or Judianna most games.
    Twitter @Chaos5061.
    Translations are done with Google Translate.

I'm loving the Superior Intellect enchant for OH items! Lavawalker and Power Torrent look awesome as well.
    85s
    Skippyninja
    Oomatherman
    Judedaniels
    MissRuPaul
    Sumekomovani
    Pattymelt
    Shamwiches
    Twonewon
    Takakoinaba
    Cursesmcgee

Comment

You may want to read this. It may not be implemented but could be.

From a wow insider article called Insider Trader:
      It's been pointed out before that I happen to use the very laziest of profession and auction alts: a level 65 death knight. Death knights start at 55 and can be facerolled to 65 with the least investment of time of any class. In my reply to that comment on the original post, you'll see my method: I never level anything except the character I plan on playing in the endgame. I'm a busy man, and among all the activities that can be done in World of Warcraft, I prioritize leveling just under patching my client and just above reputation grinding.

Well, it's a good thing that my poor, facerolling DK has been grinding the dungeons for the last week, because one of the trade skills I've maxed on him is undergoing a pretty serious change: All enchanting recipes that require a skill of over 510 are apparently not available from the normal trainers in major cities. That's not the end of it, either -- blacksmithing, leatherworking, and jewelcrafting are all capped out at 500 skill at the city trainers. Special thanks to my Hunting Party Podcast co-host Darkbrew for confirming these values for me in the beta, and thanks to Kaliope for writing a post that pointed me in the right direction.

The level limit for learning a grand master profession is still 75. If you have an alchemist, tailor, scribe, engineer or a gatherer, you will be able to obtain a skill of 525 without going past that level.

How does it work?

Basically, every city's trainers will let you train recipes that you can use to level (or craft for profit or whatever). The difference is that for these few specific professions, you will need to unlock your faction's area in Twilight Highlands to get access to recipes that have a higher minimum skill. Enchanting might actually still be able to get to the skill cap, because it looks like some of the trainable recipes are green all the way up. No such luck for the others, though.

Why?

First, this is all beta info. There's no way to know for a fact that this will be how things look at launch. That said, there have always been things you couldn't craft until you had your character in the endgame. In Wrath of the Lich King, this was accomplished by putting the recipes on raid bosses. The main difference here is that instead of having to raid to get these recipes, we will be able to get them for doing soloable content we likely would have done anyway on the way to 85. Blizzard still may put crafting perks in for the proper endgame, but obviously we don't see those yet.

The other difference between this and what we had in Wrath was that you could always get a large percent of functionality from your trade skill without having to be max level. It seems that Cataclysm is going to be putting much stricter limits on how much you can accomplish without putting your character through the content. For example, anyone with 415 skill, 5 gold, and access to a Northrend trainer can make an Eternal Belt Buckle. The Cataclysmic equivalent is the Ebonsteel Belt Buckle, which you will only be able to make if you have access to the vendor who sells the recipe.

Basically, now, instead of having a very small portion of the potential of your trade skill "locked" to raiding-only characters, we have a very large portion of a few skills locked to "non-alt" characters.

How will this affect me?

Depending on how you use professions, this may or may not be a big deal to you. There are two camps: those who want to have access to each profession (possible for auctioneering), and those who mostly use a profession for its endgame benefits. If you're in the second camp, when you get to the Twilight Highlands, you'll be set. If, however, you're trying to build a "stable" of alts with a variety of professions, this is bad news -- unless you're doing it for completionist reasons, of course. Completionists like to have all their characters at the maximum level, anyway.

Gone are the days when anyone could get away with a couple of max-level-minus-15 characters on an account to use to increase the available professions he had access to. Now, you need to level every single one of them to almost the level cap. This is going to have an effect on supply of crafted goods; the fewer people who can make something you need and can't make yourself, the more margin they'll charge when they sell it. This means more of your hard-earned gold will be going to people who have time to grind alts to level 84.

If you want to capitalize on this, the obvious method would be to get your characters to 84 as soon as possible so you can be among the few people who have the ability to make the crafted goods that become available then. Also, take advantage of the new guild interface and work cooperatively with friends, if you can. Avoiding having three people in the same guild hit 525 blacksmithing at the same time reduces the duplication of labor, to say nothing of competing for raw mats. Still, there's no way to take a shortcut around this. A huge portion of the popular crafted goods for a couple of important trade skills are locked behind several weeks to months of leveling per character.
      Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

Well good new for me is I'll be lvl my guys b/c they will all be 80
        LIGHTINGHOOF-US-RPPVP
        Dwarf Shaman-Shamme 90 Elemental/Resto
        Nelf Rouge-Legolys 90 Sub/Ass
        Pandarian Monk-Phood 90 Windwalker/Brewmaster
        Nelf Druid-Ornek 85 Boomkin/Bear
        Nelf DK-Zgknight 85 Blood/NA
        Draenei Hunter-Bowz 85 MM/Survival
        Worgen Priest-Loyder 85 Disc/Shadow
        Gnome Warlock-Lotzadots 85 Destro/NA
        Dwarf Paladin-Buradin 85 Prot/Ret
        Gnome Mage-Zygors 70 Arcane/NA
        Nelf Warrior-Talifan 61 Prot/NA

Comment

Just wondering u got any more info on blacksmithing? I plan on making a goblin dk an taking mining and BS.... But Ima hate lvln it up since I'll have to just farm since I won't be questing from lvl 1-58 lol...I wish u have to do the goblin starting area as a goblin then it jumps to lvl 55 LOL
          LIGHTINGHOOF-US-RPPVP
          Dwarf Shaman-Shamme 90 Elemental/Resto
          Nelf Rouge-Legolys 90 Sub/Ass
          Pandarian Monk-Phood 90 Windwalker/Brewmaster
          Nelf Druid-Ornek 85 Boomkin/Bear
          Nelf DK-Zgknight 85 Blood/NA
          Draenei Hunter-Bowz 85 MM/Survival
          Worgen Priest-Loyder 85 Disc/Shadow
          Gnome Warlock-Lotzadots 85 Destro/NA
          Dwarf Paladin-Buradin 85 Prot/Ret
          Gnome Mage-Zygors 70 Arcane/NA
          Nelf Warrior-Talifan 61 Prot/NA

Comment

Nin sorry no blacksmith update yet.
            Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

OK MMO Champion has updated the Professions on the site. This is not complete they say.There will be more. There is so much info that if I post it all here Zygor may kill me for using so much of his data room
              So I will just be posting the links to the web pages:

Alchemy: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...hemy-Cataclysm
              Blacksmithing: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...hing-Cataclysm
              Cooking: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...king-Cataclysm
              Enchanting: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...ting-Cataclysm
              Engineering: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...ring-Cataclysm
              Inscription: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...tion-Cataclysm
              Jewelcrafting: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...ting-Cataclysm
              Leatherworking: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...king-Cataclysm
              Talioring: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...ring-Cataclysm
              Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

ugh... I hate enchanting
                85s
                Skippyninja
                Oomatherman
                Judedaniels
                MissRuPaul
                Sumekomovani
                Pattymelt
                Shamwiches
                Twonewon
                Takakoinaba
                Cursesmcgee

Comment

Yeah it's a major gold sink. I just can't get into it.
                  Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

From WowInsider:
                    Cataclysm is going to change the world of professions -- so without any further ado, here are the most important changes.

General

* The skill cap for all professions is now 525.
                    * There is a lot of content locked behind a phased area you can not unlock until you're level 84.
                    * The new elemental trade goods are called Volatiles.
                    * Herbing and mining now provide experience.
                    * Archeology will be trainable.
                    * Guilds can see links for all members' available professions.

Mining

* The new zones contain new ores: Obsidium is the new common ore, Elementium is the new uncommon ore, and Pyrite is the new rare ore.
                    * Toughness is upgraded, but it's still pretty terrible for non-tanks.

Herbalism

* The new zones will contain new types of herbs. In order of ascending skill required to gather, they are: Cinderbloom, Azshara's Veil, Heartblossom, Whiptail, and Twilight Jasmine. There are no more super-rare herbs like Frost Lotus; now, that part of the market is being filled by Volatile Life.
                    * Surprise! Lifeblood went from being a situational (at best) self heal to being a pretty awesome haste cooldown!

Skinning

* 80 crit rating from the new rank of Master of Anatomy still sucks compared to the profession bonus of every single other trade skill.
                    * The new leather is called Savage Leather, and leatherworkers can make the heavy version.
                    * The scraps can be turned into Savage Leather by anyone, but there is a leatherworker recipe that awards skillups.
                    * The new rare leather, Pristine Hide, is much less rare than Arctic Fur.
                    * There are new scales: Deepsea and Blackened Dragonscale.

Enchanting

* The new enchanting toy for Alliance players is a Magic Lamp (or Enchanted Lantern for the Hordies).
                    * Enchanting armor still makes it kick more butt, but weapon enchants are almost all proc-based.
                    * Cataclysm greens require as little as 425 or as much as 475 enchanting skill to disenchant.
                    * The new mats are Celestial Essences, Hypnotic Dust, and the Maelstrom Crystal (from DEing epics) and Heavenly Shard (from DEing blues).
                    * Leatherworking or tailoring look like they will be able to produce the cheapest craftables for disenchanting, unless Blizzard changes the amount they let people vendor green gems for.

Engineering

* Never short on non-combat pets, engineers get another: a tiny blue fel reaver called the Personal World Destroyer.
                    * Tinkers stack with enchants, and there are a ton of them.
                    * Engineers with a gathering skill (and only those with a gathering skill) can proc free Volatile Air with the Electrostatic Condenser. The rest of us are screwed.
                    * There are now a variety of cool things we can choose to put on our guns made by engineers.
                    * You will need to make a High-Powered Bolt Gun to use as a tool for other parts of the profession. It's ranged, it's targeted, and it takes Obsidium Bolts, but I'll be damned if this isn't what makes me level an engineer.
                    * Oh wait, no, that was the Loot-A-Rang.

Jewelcrafting

* We know that all Cataclysm gems will have a minimum gear level into which they'll be able to be socketed. Also, the cut greens from Cataclysm will have as much itemization as cut epics from Wrath of the Lich King.
                    * The new JC-exclusive gems are cut from Chimera's Eyes, which are bought with daily tokens from the capital city vendors or randomly dropped when you break a Fire Prism, which is the new Icy Prism.
                    * There is a ton of blue gear that can be crafted by JCers.
                    * Cut green gems vendor for 9g. Prospecting and vendoring alone will set a minimum vendor value on a stack of ore, depending on the prospecting average yield. For example: If a stack of ore on average gives us six green gems, these gems can be cut and vendored for 9g each, which means you will only ever find ore for less than 54g if a jewelcrafter hasn't logged in since it was posted.
                    * There is only one meta gem, and it's called the Shadowspirit Diamond. The only source for them is the alchemy transmute, and at an opportunity cost of 9g per green gem, these will cost 81g each, uncut (before the 20 percent alchemy transmute procs).

Blacksmithing

* Leveling blacksmithing is going to be expensive. The minimum price for an Obsidium Bar is going to be 5.4g (see above -- 54g per stack of ore, two ore per bar). Nobody's done any research on prospecting Elementium Ore yet, but assuming it's similar to this expansion and will yield the same quantity of greens with a bonus to blue gem yield, it'll have an even higher minimum price.
                    * Multi-point recipes are important for leveling this profession, unlike many others for which the cheapest path to 525 is with single skill-up recipes.
                    * Since the cost for ore is probably going to level off higher than the cost for an equivalent amount of leather, blacksmithing has basically lost its position as the trade skill that makes the cheapest gear for disenchanting.
                    * The new belt buckle is only craftable at level 84 with 525 skill, and the old belt buckle will not work on any gear above ilvl299.
                    * The majority of new content for smiths is crafting entry-level gear, most of which is locked behind the level 84 phased area of Twilight Highlands.

Alchemy

* Alchemy is going to be a feeder profession for many other crafting skills because of all the transmutes it can do. You can turn Volatile Life into a random other volatile (on a cooldown), you can transmute blue quality gems (currently no cooldown on this transmute, but we'll see what happens after the launch), and you can transmute Truegold on a one-day cooldown and Pyrium bars (cooldown probably 20 hours, not sure whether it's shared).
                    * You can max out alchemy without getting to the Twilight Highlands' phased vendors.
                    * Potions and flasks are like the old versions, except more awesome.
                    * There are, however, a bunch of things that are completely new, like the Potion of Treasure Finding, Potion of Deepholm, and the Big Cauldron of Battle.
                    * Of course, the one thing everyone already knows about is the mount.

Tailoring

* I've covered this before.
                    * Remember to do your weekly cooldowns.
                    * Cloth may or may not fall down in price low enough to be worth using to make gear for disenchanting.
                    * There's no equivalent to Northrend Cloth Scavenging, and no testing that I know of that demonstrated this the Northrend version works in the Cataclysm zones.

Leatherworking

* Apparently, leveling this takes a lot of Volatile Fires.
                    * Like blacksmithing and tailoring, you will need to get to level 84 to access the final vendors for leatherworking in Twilight Highlands.
                    * You can make a lot of gear for rogues, shaman, druids, and hunters.
                    * The new leg armor for agility-based raiders is the Charscale Leg Armor.
                    * Leatherworkers can turn between seven regular leather and some vendor parts into a low-level green that can be disenchanted. Right now, this is the cheapest way to get enchanting mats, unless the drop rate of cloth is much higher than it was in beta, or unless the vendor value of a stack of ore gets nerfed.

* I've written about this as well.
                    * When the expansion launches, you'll want to check out this list for the trainable recipes under 450.
                    * All the new glyphs are now available through various means (as of patch 4.0.3a), so check your book for missing recipes.
                    * The only thing standing between you and 525 skill for inscription is an absolutely enormous pile of herbs.

Cooking

* There's all kinds of new goodies from cooking, including a fishing lure, some RP nonsense, and a Fortune Cookie that presumably gives you 90 of your highest stat when you eat it.
                    * There's a new fish feast.

Fishing

* Nobody should ever level fishing because of how tedious and ridiculous the process of getting to 450 is.
                    * Apparently, getting past 450 was only taking 10 casts per point on average in beta.
                    * There are also fishing dailies now.
                    * For the love of all that is good and holy, don't level fishing.

First aid

* Oh look, more bandages. Nothing that interesting yet.
                    Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

Originally posted by chaos5061 View Post
                      Fishing

* Nobody should ever level fishing because of how tedious and ridiculous the process of getting to 450 is.
                      * Apparently, getting past 450 was only taking 10 casts per point on average in beta.
                      * There are also fishing dailies now.
                      * For the love of all that is good and holy, don't level fishing.
                      If no one leveled fishing I would be quite all right with that, because I would be rolling in the gold for the buff foods I would sell at the auction house. The new cooking and fishing daily quests can be done as low as level 5 and give you 1-2 skill points each turn in as well, so leveling became amazingly easy now.
                      My tanks:
                      Losfer 110 Tauren Protection Paladin Area 52
                      Prassan 110 Tauren Guardian Druid Area 52
                      Theomach 102Tauren Protection Warrior Hyjal
                      Paschendale 100 Night Elf Brewmaster Monk Sargeras
                      Shangol 100 Troll Blood Death Knight Area 52
                      Nassic 100 Blood Elf Vengeance Demon Hunter

My DPS:
                      Kastenessen 100 Human Fire Mage Sargeras
                      Thoraynayla 110 Orc Marksmanship Hunter Arear 52
                      Findail 101 Forsaken Destruction Warlock Area 52

Comment

More about Fishing.

From WowInsider:
                        Deathwing may be ravaging the countryside and tearing through the sky, striking fear into the hearts of the denizens of Azeroth, but his malice can never shake the iron will of Azeroth's brave fishermen. Rod and lure in hand, these salty heroes fuel our fish feasts, ride our turtles, and regale us with stories of Old Crafty and Old Ironjaw. Flip your Titanium Seal of Dalaran and hope it lands on adventure ...

Fishing in Cataclysm has been made easier and more fun, with the addition of new fishing dailies in your faction's home city. Not only do these new dailies give you a new bag of goodies, but they now award fishing skill points for fishing. Those of you veteran anglers know the drill -- your trade is a buff food bonanza, allowing you to cook up some of the best food in the game to give your group and raid the advantage they need.

I've always been a fishing fan, since the early days of World of Warcraft. Here's a quick rundown of some of the new fishing content for Cataclysm.

The new skill, Illustrious Grand Master Fishing, enables players to raise their fishing skill to 525.

New fish

Cataclysm is adding in a bunch of new fish in the new level 80 to 85 zones. While the world has been torn asunder, Azeroth's native sea creatures have survived Deathwing's fires, and things haven't changed other than some zone levels and fish caught there. Here are the new fish you'll be catching in each zone:

Regular fish

* Algaefin Rockfish Twilight Highlands, Tol Barad, Vashj'ir
                        * Blackbelly Mudfish Uldum
                        * Deepsea Sagefish Twilight Highlands, Uldum, Tol Barad, Vashj'ir
                        * Fathom Eel Tol Barad, Uldum, Vashj'ir
                        * Highland Guppy Twilight Highlands
                        * Lavascale Catfish Deepholm, Uldum
                        * Mountain Trout Mount Hyjal
                        * Striped Lurker Mount Hyjal, Twilight Highlands

Miscellaneous fish

* Albino Cavefish Alchemists use the Albino Cavefish to create Deepstone Oil, so find an alchemist buyer for your extra Cavefish stock.

Fishermen are now able to fish up Volatile Fire and Volatile Water, two of the new component materials for most crafted items and recipes. Volatile water is a somewhat common catch in Cataclysm fishing pools, and Volatile Fire is fished up from Pools of Fire in the lava areas of Twilight Highlands and Mount Hyjal.

New achievements

A bunch of new fishing achievements have been added in Cataclysm for the dedicated fisherman.

Personal Achievements

* The Limnologist Catch all of the freshwater inland fish in World of Warcraft.
                        * The Oceanographer Catch all of the saltwater coastal fish in World of Warcraft.
                        * Fish or Cut Bait Complete all five of your factions new Azeroth fishing dailies.

Guild Achievements

* That's a Lot of Bait Catch 10,000 fish from fishing pools; rewards the ability to purchase the recipe for Seafood Magnifique Feast, Cataclysm's fish feast and best group/raid food buff.
                        * We're Gonna Need a Bigger Boat Catch 50,000 fish from fishing pools.
                        * Like Shooting Fish in A Barrel Catch 100,000 fish from fishing pools.

Dailies

Five new fishing dailies have been added to Stormwind and Orgrimmar, awarding anglers a skill point to fishing and a Bag of Shiny Things. Sadly, these new bags do not contain the new fishing poles introduced in the Dalaran fishing daily, but they have the chance to contain a Strand Crawler companion pet and the Weather-Beaten Fishing Hat.

New Alliance fishing dailies

All Alliance fishing dailies are given out by Catherine Leland in Stormwind.

* Big Gulp Find a precious locket by fishing up monkfish in the Valley of Heroes in Stormwind and filet it open.
                        * Diggin' For Worms Use an Overgrown Earthworm near Lake Olivia to catch a Crystal Bass from Olivia's Pond.
                        * Hitting a Walleye Catch 8 Hardended Walleye in Stormwind Lake.
                        * Rock Lobster Collect 6 Rock Lobsters from lobster cages below the Stormwind Docks.
                        * Thunder Falls Catch 4 Violent Perch from Thunder Falls.

New Horde fishing dailies

All Horde fishing dailies are given out by Razgar in Orgrimmar.

* A Furious Catch Head to the Southfury river and catch a Giant Furious Pike.
                        * A Golden Opportunity Using Razgar's Filet Knife, find a Drowned Thunderlizard in Thunder Ridge and cut off its tail. Then, use the tail to eletrocute 3 Golden Stonefish and bring them back to Razgar.
                        * A Staggering Effort Kill a Stag north of Orgrimmar and use its eye as bait to catch a Sandy Carp in the Valley of Wisdom.
                        * Clammy Hands Loot 10 Monstrous Clam Meat from big clams out east of Durotar.
                        * No Dumping Allowed Fish up 6 Toxic Puddlefish in the goblin area of Orgrimmar.

Fishing and cooking are best friends -- El's Anglin' has the best guides http://www.elsanglin.com/training.html working up both your fishing and cooking skills at the same time, for both factions. Complementary to the fishing dailies are the new cooking dailies, allowing players to collect Chef's Awards to purchase seafood cooking recipes. Alliance chefs can pick up their dailies from Robby Flay in Stormwind and Horde chefs can grab their dailies from Shazdar in Orgrimmar.

The holy grail of fishing: Seafood Magnifique

Here's the cream of the crop for all you fisherman out there. The materials for a Seafood Magnifique feast should fetch a pretty decent price on the auction house, for those people out there who don't want to spend that time catching it up themselves. Save your leftovers, and you'll be sure to find a buyer on the auction house.

Fishing is fun, profitable, and can provide lots of fun achievements and miscellaneous cool things. As one of those professions that has gone through many changes in both function and use, fishing is a fun alternative to crafting professions, while still remaining a valuable skill to have. Don't let its potentially daunting nature get you down; take fishing slow, use it in conjunction with other skills, and have a great time becoming one of the greatest anglers Azeroth has ever seen. Salty salute!
                        Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

I just sticked it to let people find info eaiser. I'm also going to close it and when new stuff is known I will post it here. Don't think there will be much more info though.
                          Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

Working...
                          X