Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blood DKs and tanking, o.0

I needs help, ya'll!

What stats am I aiming for? What types of weapons should I be using? What's a good threat rotation for AoE? What's a good threat rotation for single target? Are there cookies?
    85s
    Skippyninja
    Oomatherman
    Judedaniels
    MissRuPaul
    Sumekomovani
    Pattymelt
    Shamwiches
    Twonewon
    Takakoinaba
    Cursesmcgee

Well I don't tank, but I believe that Stamina should be very high on your priority. The rest you'll need answers from others.
    My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Chaos posted some general class information in this forum. The DK section begins here:
      http://www.zygorguides.com/forum/sho...ll=1#post45446

Comment

Open with icy touch then use pelsilence(whatever it's called) and use blood boil and if they don't AOE the whole fite ur good! And once ur 60 and get ur DnD open with that and do the above!

And u want stam and since they all have strgh with it that's nice
        and dodge when u can(dk's once where dodge tanks so I been told) and all the other tank stats r good
        LIGHTINGHOOF-US-RPPVP
        Dwarf Shaman-Shamme 90 Elemental/Resto
        Nelf Rouge-Legolys 90 Sub/Ass
        Pandarian Monk-Phood 90 Windwalker/Brewmaster
        Nelf Druid-Ornek 85 Boomkin/Bear
        Nelf DK-Zgknight 85 Blood/NA
        Draenei Hunter-Bowz 85 MM/Survival
        Worgen Priest-Loyder 85 Disc/Shadow
        Gnome Warlock-Lotzadots 85 Destro/NA
        Dwarf Paladin-Buradin 85 Prot/Ret
        Gnome Mage-Zygors 70 Arcane/NA
        Nelf Warrior-Talifan 61 Prot/NA

Comment

heh... For these types of specialty questions, you would be better off reading through specialty forums on a site that is dedicated to such topics.

Good references would be:
          http://pwnwear.com/forum/tank-basics-f2.html
          http://pwnwear.com/forum/death-knigh...uide-t711.html
          http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t110102-...e_tanking_4_x/

In short:
          in WotLK you Stacked Stamina, but that's not the case in Cata. Avoidance and Mastery are important to have now.

Dodge and Parry have the same diminishing returns now, so you want these to be as close to each other as you can so that you get the most out of your gear.

Mastery is your #1 stat.

As a DK tank, it is extremely important that you assist the healer by rotating your CDs and self healing when possible. I average between 3k and 4k Heals Per Second on myself... if that gives you any idea where you want that to be.

Other than Runestrike, Heartstrike is your biggest Threat builder. You want to balance your survivability with threat... this balance is totally up to you to find.

If you have another DK in the group, putting your diseases up isn't necessary if they can reliably keep theirs up.

For an idea on how to reforge: (pulled from pwnwear.com)
          You do not need to be hit capped to tank, although having the softcap of 26 expertise is recommended. It is not entirely mandatory either if you can hold threat. Having more Hit and Expertise does however mean that less Abilities miss, more specifically Death Strike which delayed by 1 second can be an issue sometimes. Reforging is optional.

If Aiming towards Hit Cap and Expertise Soft-Caps:
          Reforge Avoidance on Mastery Gear to Hit/Expertise.
          Reforge Avoidance on Non-Mastery Gear to Mastery.
          Excess Hit? See below.
          Excess Hit but need more Expertise? Reforge excess Hit to Expertise.
          Excess Expertise? See below.
          Excess Expertise but need more Hit? Reforge excess Expertise to Hit.
          Excess Expertise and Hit? Reforge to Mastery.
          Excess Mastery? No such thing.

If aiming for highest possible Survivability:
          Reforge possible Hit/Expertise on Non-Mastery Gear to Mastery.
          Reforge possible Hit/Expertise on Mastery Gear to Avoidance.
          I am CDO. This is a lot like OCD, except the letters are in alphabetical order... as they should be.

Comment

Stamina first and foremost, then go for hit, then expertise, then mastery. That's how I play it. As for getting threat:

Diseases -> DnD if up -> Pestilence -> Blood boil x2 -> Rune Strike if it procs

Comment

Originally posted by imasav View Post
              Stamina first and foremost, then go for hit, then expertise, then mastery. That's how I play it. As for getting threat:

Diseases -> DnD if up -> Pestilence -> Blood boil x2 -> Rune Strike if it procs
              You are wasting potential EH and Avoidance by soft capping your hit.

Just saying.
              I am CDO. This is a lot like OCD, except the letters are in alphabetical order... as they should be.

Comment

Check out the Elitist Jerks website. They'll set you right up bro. Just google them and it should be the top one.

Comment

Originally posted by Werderx View Post
                  heh... For these types of specialty questions, you would be better off reading through specialty forums on a site that is dedicated to such topics.

Good references would be:
                  http://pwnwear.com/forum/tank-basics-f2.html
                  http://pwnwear.com/forum/death-knigh...uide-t711.html
                  http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t110102-...e_tanking_4_x/

In short:
                  in WotLK you Stacked Stamina, but that's not the case in Cata. Avoidance and Mastery are important to have now.

Dodge and Parry have the same diminishing returns now, so you want these to be as close to each other as you can so that you get the most out of your gear.

Mastery is your #1 stat.

As a DK tank, it is extremely important that you assist the healer by rotating your CDs and self healing when possible. I average between 3k and 4k Heals Per Second on myself... if that gives you any idea where you want that to be.

Other than Runestrike, Heartstrike is your biggest Threat builder. You want to balance your survivability with threat... this balance is totally up to you to find.

If you have another DK in the group, putting your diseases up isn't necessary if they can reliably keep theirs up.

For an idea on how to reforge: (pulled from pwnwear.com)
                  You do not need to be hit capped to tank, although having the softcap of 26 expertise is recommended. It is not entirely mandatory either if you can hold threat. Having more Hit and Expertise does however mean that less Abilities miss, more specifically Death Strike which delayed by 1 second can be an issue sometimes. Reforging is optional.

If Aiming towards Hit Cap and Expertise Soft-Caps:
                  Reforge Avoidance on Mastery Gear to Hit/Expertise.
                  Excess Hit? See below.
                  Excess Hit but need more Expertise? Reforge excess Hit to Expertise.
                  Excess Expertise? See below.
                  Excess Expertise but need more Hit? Reforge excess Expertise to Hit.
                  Excess Expertise and Hit? Reforge to Mastery.
                  Excess Mastery? No such thing.

If aiming for highest possible Survivability:
                  Reforge possible Hit/Expertise on Non-Mastery Gear to Mastery.
                  Reforge possible Hit/Expertise on Mastery Gear to Avoidance.
                  Loves it!
                  85s
                  Skippyninja
                  Oomatherman
                  Judedaniels
                  MissRuPaul
                  Sumekomovani
                  Pattymelt
                  Shamwiches
                  Twonewon
                  Takakoinaba
                  Cursesmcgee